Used 2003 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews - 304 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Stole this one
By Steve

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Research research research

Solid Rig
By Leon Kowalski

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Sequoia in 2013 and still have it. In that time I've only had to replace two o2 sensors and some minor front-end suspension component. Great, reliable vehicle. Quiet, too. 3rd row seat not horrible and accommodates two adults or three kids okay. Crummy gas mileage, though.

toyota sequoia 2003
By armando bonilla

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have my Toyota sequoia 2003 with 200k miles. running like a champion, no big problem, only regular maintenance. oil change, break and rotor, I did change the pinion rack. at 185k, front shock at 170k, o2 sensor at 175.. everything is normal with car with this miles 200k, now I need to replace some wheel bearing.. but I think the engine is running excellent. in the blizzard in 2015 in northen Virginia was jumping on the snow like a deer.. I

Excellent Used Vehicle Value
By Earle

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I want to add a review of a used, older vehicle, since I value those reviews. That's also the vehicle market I am in. I generally don't buy new vehicles. Instead, I tend to look for good used vehicles with 100k miles on them that I am confident will get to 200k miles with few problems. As such, I need and value reliable and dependable vehicles. Seems to be for us the most economical way to go. We are second owners of an 2003 Sequoia, which we bought to replace a Sienna. Bought the Sequoia five years ago with 90k miles on it and we have since added 50k miles. We have five children, ages 12 and under, and we live in rural Montana. The vehicle has performed for us very well. All seven of us fit comfortably. There hasn't been any winter weather conditions it couldn't handle. Feels very safe on the road. It does have the notorious rear door problems and a couple of other minor issues, but overall the vehicle has performed flawlessly. I love 4.7L V8 engine. While not the most fuel efficient, I am satisfied because we are only about 1.5 mpg less than what we were getting on our AWD Sienna. The Sienna was a bit more comfortable and roomy, but it could not handle the rough terrain and winter conditions nearly as well as the Sequoia. I recently looked at a newer generation Sequioa. It is bigger and better but not enough to justify the price. Putting 10k miles on our 2003 Sequoia a year, we hope it will continue to serve us well for several more years until the kids start leaving home and we can then downsize. Thus far, I am very pleased as this seems to have been an excellent vehicle purchase for our family. Great value! UPDATE: I have been asked to provide an update. I don't feel to change anything on my review. We are still very pleased with the Sequoia. It continues to meet our family's needs while handling the rural Montana environment. We've added 10k miles and done some routine maintenance, including the notorious rear door latch. Even so, we feel it continues to be a good value vehicle. Probably our best vehicle purchase we've ever made. No regrets.

Looks and runs great but it's a rust time bomb!
By Ben

2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this older vehicle to replace my money pit 96 Suburban and considered getting rid of my car as well. While replacing the exhaust I found that the frame was rotted out in the back behind where the tail pipe muffler was located. This discouraged me greatly as I had heard these vehicles had this issue - but mostly the tundras were affected from what I've read even though it's the same frame. On the outside you would never know and even looking underneath you wouldn't see it because the exhaust system is hiding it from plain view. I contacted Toyota and they opened a case only to tell me that this vehicle was already serviced for this reason in February 2013 for the frame issue where they removed surface rust and treated it. It appears that the frame is rusting from the inside I think that they didn't treat the passenger rear corner because of the exhaust would be in the way. I thought I had purchased a dependable vehicle only to find out that it's a pile of scrap now. It still drives great but I purchased it to tow which I will not do now - I hope to get rid of it before this rust time bomb explodes.