Used 2003 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 326 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Best we've ever had!
By Don Blank

2003 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car has everything you could ask for in the way of room,economy ease of handling and style. Does all you could ask for in an economical mid-size vehicle and then some. We have owned it 13 years and has been trouble-free with only normal wear such as brakes, tires and normal maintenance. Great mid-size car as long as you don't take it to the drag strip. You won't win the blue ribbon, but you won't be last either.

Horrible car.
By George M.

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The ride quality of this car makes a person feel as if he's being kicked in the rear end even on the smallest bumps. I think You'd get a jolt just running over a dime. The clutch is absolutely the worst I've ever driven, and I've driven manual transmissions of all sorts for more than 45 years. The shifter is notchy and imprecise, and with 6 speeds, some of them are not really needed and just make the poor clutch that much more noticeable. In addition, it appears that the body is put together with plastic pins instead of screws and bolts. The front valance hangs too low and can hit even the smallest curbs. (Mine was already damaged by a previous owner.) Driver's seat is uncomfortable due to excessive lumbar support and the aforementioned jolts from the suspension. Other plastic items are the cheap door handles, both interior and exterior (I guarantee they'll need replacement sooner than you'd like). I can't wait to get rid of this pile of garbage. My son's early Kia was actually better built.

Love my XRS
By DPJazzSax

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned my XRS since new and love this car! It carries an amazing amount of stuff, and handles very well for a fairly tall vehicle. Gas mileage is above average (about 24 city/28 hwy) and repair costs have been very low.

Put to the test, and it passed!
By Jake

2003 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Let me start by saying I am not gentle with anything I own. I picked this car up with 180,000 miles for $2500 and it had not been taken care of. I learned how to drive stick on it and took it everywhere from the lower Sierra Nevada mountain range on trails where you need a 4x4, to out in the mohave desert where I jumed it so high I ripped the wheel wells out when I landed. It does not quit! The AC has always blown cold and the only thing that I've ever done is give it an oil change, new tires, and a new clutch (that last one was my fault). Now sadly, just short of 200,000 miles the transmission has given out and it is on its way to the junk yard. But it has seen and done more than most trucks ever will and it has never left me stranded no matter where I go. The only thing that could be better is it has a little road noise and it doesn't shift very smooth, plus you have to put the clutch to the floor to shift. Mabey that's just mine but either way I am more than pleased with this car.

380k miles and going
By Oscar R.

2003 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this matrix xrs brand new. Zero miles on it back in April 2002. Now it's September 2015 with 380,130 miles on it. Yes it's miles not km. this car is a beast.
original engine and Six speed transmission
Original air conditioning, power steering, alternator,radiator fan.

Major parts replaced:
Starter
Water pump
Catalytic converter

This car still gets 30 mpg, best car ever owned. My target is to hit 500,000 on it.

Odometer will stop at 299.999 miles. To replace odometer it's about $850 to do it. I just use my trip gauges to keep track of mileage. The key is keep up with the oil changes.