Used 2011 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

4Runner 4Life
By HP

2011 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Will always have a 4Runner. No reason to buy another SUV

Ambivalent
By Jim Cunningham

2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

THIS REVIEW IS FOR A 2011 SR-5 4-RUNNER!
Generally a good, solid vehicle, but some major disappointments. First, the roof lacks the strength to car-top a 14' boat [145 lbs. plus rack system]. Didn't know that when I bought it, or would have passed. I hate moonroofs and wish they'd get rid of them for this kind of vehicle. In upstate NY it's just a matter of time before temp extremes kill the seal and cause a leak. Eliminate the damn things and put a roll-bar-type reinforcement in the roof. It's an SUV, for God's sake. Secondly, the neutral safety switch failed at 63K, just out of warranty. $400, 2800 miles from home. [The lifters on the hatch failed while it was still warranted and were replaced., The new ones are now getting a bit saggy.] Also, you should not have to kneel in the driveway or wherever to reach the light harness plug. What a-hole thought it was a good idea to put it BEHIND the bumper? My last gripe: the rear seats don't fold flat, so forget napping back there. On the upside, the 4WD is flawless, and I can get way back in the woods during deer season and get 2 dead ones in back for the ride out. Over several long-haul trips, it's been quite comfortable, and it readily accommodates 2 big adults in the back seat during family visits. In sum, I wish I'd gone for the Sequoia, but since I'll own it in January I'll make do for a while. I already sold my boat.
UPDATE: I still generally like the vehicle, but my original gripes remain. When we got it I had to splice 2' of cable on our Aliner
camper to reach the absurdly-located plug socket for the wire harness. The camper's now 11 years old and we've had our eye on a new one, but it would present the same problem with the short cable. I'm also bald, prone to basal cell skin cancer and HATE having the sun beat down on my head, so I never open the damn moonroof. I'm looking for a 12' cartop fishing boat light enough [and narrow enough] to shove in the back with a bed extender.
As I noted, the vehicle is now paid off and serves very well as a family passenger car and for getting to the good hunting and fishing spots. It's also good for over-the-road travel from CNY to Florida several times a year and gets decent gas mileage for what it is. I just had a lot of pricey scheduled service done on it and don't anticipate trading it any time soon, but unless Toyota strengthens the roof, moves the trailer wire plug and offers fold-flat rear seats, I'll be looking at Sequoias and Tahoes when I do.
Update: No new problems since last update. Looking at a new, larger camper. Still pissed about the wire harness plug location behind the bumper and will again have to modify the camper cable when we get it. Notice that Toyota didn't change the plug location on the new ones, still insists on putting moonroofs in them and still hasn't redesigned the rear seats to fold flat [plus the front end of the new ones looks like an uncircumsized pecker]. I'd never get another 4-Runner after this.
Update March 2018: Nothing to add since last review.

everyone wants my car
By Julia

2011 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I will run this vehicle into the ground and judging by my uncle with a '97 @ 300k ...that's going to take a while. Bought this car pre-owned (64k) almost 2 years ago. I have the limited 4x4 which is AWD all the time. I drive mostly short city trips and then I frequently take road trips (at (89k now). I've had this car in every weather condition and I'm so thankful for that. Last week I got caught in a flash flood on the way to Vegas and while other cars were loosing control in deep puddles, the traction control kicked in/ AWD helped on multiple accounts to keep us center. Handles well in snow, sand, rocks, ect. It handled really well going down a steep curved hill in snow. In high winds, I barely feel it. I can fit more in this SUV with the seats folded down than a Tacoma (length wise). I work at a Toyota Dealership so I can see all the service records, and there's never been a major issue, even while they were certifying the vehicle for resale. I have to admit, it's probably due to the city driving, but my MPG has decreased since I bought it 18 down to 15/16. Handles well and can stop on a dime. A month after getting it, another 4Runner merged into me and I barely felt it although the whole right side needed to be replaced. Overall solid car. The navigation is due for an update, and the voice command is really annoying/inaccurate/long. (I recommend a '14 and up, cause they improved it drastically). Overall, I'm in love with this car and my friends always beg to ride in it for road trips. 12 plus hours, and you're still comfortable. The 3rd row should not be considered for regular use, and it's small and not very comfortable. However, for short, infrequent rides, it's a really nice option to have. If you're considering a package that doesn't come with a back up camera, I recommend getting one installed. Regardless of the kind of driver you are, stock this is a tall vehicle. I'm 5'8 and thin and my boyfriend is 6'2 and has an extremely wide build. We both sit comfortably. I've had kids aged 4-9 sit in my back seat. The boosters/car seats are super easy because everything is so high up. Although, they all struggle to get inside the car so if you have small kids or you're short, invest in running boards. *a year later update...still feel the same*

4runner FanAtic
By Larry Smith

2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second 4Runner & it is everything my 06 was & more! Great work & recreational vehicle rolled into one reliable package. I can carry tools & a Little Giant ladder for work, or our three large Akitas for hiking. Fuel consumption is better too with an average of 20 - 21 mpg.

Love my Freda the 4-Runner-Limited
By Cathy Moore

2011 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 4-Runner Thanksgiving of 2011 & I wouldn't trade her for any other vehicle on the road.
She has been to Mackinac, North Carolina (twice) South Carolina, Georgia, Oklahoma, New Orleans & never had her in the shop for repairs.
We live in NW Ohio where the winters have been pretty brutal the last couple years & she never failed to get me through deep snow & rough roads.
We will keep her till the wheels rust off.
My husband has a 2007 Tundra that also is still going strong with no shop repairs.
Toyota makes the best vehicles on the road bar none.