2018 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

CVT and other issues
By Dissatisfied Owner

2018 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Buyer Beware. I have had multiple issues with this vehicle and cannot recommend it or the brand based on my experience. 1.)Infotaintment system was chipped and vent was cracked upon delivery. I didn't notice until I took it home. - vent replaced. Pictures taken of chip but not replaced until I kept having other infotaintment issues. 2.) Infotaintment issues: Back up camera did not always come on, GPS did not always work or froze, display would freeze and not allow to change volume etc. - Reprogrammed then eventually replaced. Bluetooth sometimes cuts out on long drives but cannot verify if my phone or infotaintment system. 3.) Blower fan chirped loudly - replaced after multiple visits 4.) CVT lurches or has a dip in decceleration at about 18-19 mph. This requires that you push on the brake harder so not to get too close to the stopped car in front of you or when there is a dip in acceleration/momentum you end up stopped shorter than you were expecting and there is a whole bunch of space between you and the car in front of you. - Control unit reprogrammed which reduced roughness of 18/19 mph issue and caused issue number five. 5.) Hesitation/stuttering upon initial acceleration. - brought it back in and vehicle was tested and considered to be operating as designed. Brought car in for slow speed stall recall.... and it brought back issue 4 (really it never fully went away). It seems like issue 4 is similar to the review on 09/14/2018. I contacted Subaru and they told me to take it back to the dealer. The thing is the CVT issues are intermittent. They drive it for a mile or two and aren't going to call it an issues unless it is at its most severe form (which I consider a safety issue when it presents severely). I've driven several other Subarus so I have a good comparison and they do no have this issue.

Never Again
By S

2018 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

The CVT Transmission in the Impreza is the worst operating system I've ever driven. During and coming to a stop the CVT lunges forward and quite honest a beginner/new driver could have an issue...its the jerkiest and also non tracking vehicle...wow. I've sold!

subaru lowrider
By doug ethridge

2018 Subaru Impreza 2.0i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I think its pretty awesome,i love it

Hang on
By J Murray

2018 Subaru Impreza 2.0i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Will be buying a new vehicle soon. Rented a '18 Impreza, first Subaru I have ever driven. I put 3K miles on it and never felt safe. The steering is God awful, passing semi's especially felt completely out of control. I have driven just about every kind of vehicle in the US, this vehicle is hands down the worst I have experienced. Obviously, I will not be looking at Subaru Impreza.

Subaru, the no-brainer choice
By first477

2018 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I’ve been stalking the compact car segment since 2010. Through and through, Subaru is the best choice. Excellent resale value, cheap to maintain, excellent ownership experience. I finally decided I wanted to take a leap and lease my first new car. I test drove a toyota yaris ia, but I backed out because the subaru was not much more expensive and a much better overall package. I went with the 2.0i premium in white/tan cloth because I’m cheap, couldn’t be happier. The interior space is fantastic, and the hatchback is an improvement over past impreza hatchbacks. I’ve only put 76 miles on the odometer, but after a mix of highway, city, and backroad driving, I can tell I will enjoy this car. It will suit most anyone’s needs. It’s not sporty, but it can be playful, its not a cloud on wheels either but its perfectly tolerable. The steering doesn’t return-to-center very much. Minimal feedback from the front wheels. Brake pedal is top notch. Very smooth and easy to modulate. Gas is not too touchy. From a stop, it has a decent punch, but it likes to lock the torque converter early and hold the engine at 1150 rpm if you don’t try to accelerate hard, which makes it feel slow, but when you mash it like you mean it, the cvt is very responsive and it will get up and go. When you let off the throttle, it will hold the rpm at 1250 and engine brake while cutting fuel injection. When slowing down, re-activation of fuel injection is very noticeable and jerky. Manual mode works well. Shifts are near automatic quality, but still on the slow side. Good response time though. Nice turning radius. Nice visibility. I’m not crazy about many of the interior design elements like the dashboard, windshield base, or gauge cluster. I much prefer the gauge cluster of the crosstrek, which looks like it belongs on a luxury car, but these gauges look clunky and dull. There are a bunch of weird shapes and angles going on inside the interior that don’t impress me. Overall I’m very pleased with this car. Looking forward to buying it once my lease is up, unless the 2021s turn out to be 10x cooler.