2018 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Subaru, the no-brainer choice
By first477

2018 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I’ve been stalking the compact car segment since 2010. Through and through, Subaru is the best choice. Excellent resale value, cheap to maintain, excellent ownership experience. I finally decided I wanted to take a leap and lease my first new car. I test drove a toyota yaris ia, but I backed out because the subaru was not much more expensive and a much better overall package. I went with the 2.0i premium in white/tan cloth because I’m cheap, couldn’t be happier. The interior space is fantastic, and the hatchback is an improvement over past impreza hatchbacks. I’ve only put 76 miles on the odometer, but after a mix of highway, city, and backroad driving, I can tell I will enjoy this car. It will suit most anyone’s needs. It’s not sporty, but it can be playful, its not a cloud on wheels either but its perfectly tolerable. The steering doesn’t return-to-center very much. Minimal feedback from the front wheels. Brake pedal is top notch. Very smooth and easy to modulate. Gas is not too touchy. From a stop, it has a decent punch, but it likes to lock the torque converter early and hold the engine at 1150 rpm if you don’t try to accelerate hard, which makes it feel slow, but when you mash it like you mean it, the cvt is very responsive and it will get up and go. When you let off the throttle, it will hold the rpm at 1250 and engine brake while cutting fuel injection. When slowing down, re-activation of fuel injection is very noticeable and jerky. Manual mode works well. Shifts are near automatic quality, but still on the slow side. Good response time though. Nice turning radius. Nice visibility. I’m not crazy about many of the interior design elements like the dashboard, windshield base, or gauge cluster. I much prefer the gauge cluster of the crosstrek, which looks like it belongs on a luxury car, but these gauges look clunky and dull. There are a bunch of weird shapes and angles going on inside the interior that don’t impress me. Overall I’m very pleased with this car. Looking forward to buying it once my lease is up, unless the 2021s turn out to be 10x cooler.

I desired a WRX, however reality dictated my pick
By repeat multiple Subaru Consumer

2018 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I traded my 2010 Forester XT for a 2018 Impreza Sport as my wife traded her 2009 Out Back for a 2018 Forester... I fell in love with the color Oasis Island Pearl/Black- For me all the gauges except the speedometer at too small, as are the pictograms which are also confusing to me. On the plus side the harmon audio system is wonderful, I do miss the 6 C/D player my Forester had... Around town this is a great car, on the highway Rte 128 (Boston area) it seems to drift slightly. The keyless entry is sort of neat, however there is not a really a convenient spot to place the keys nor is there a logical place for a pair of glasses regular or sun. This vehicle has way to many whistles & bells for me, for a more tech savvy consumer (i.e.: younger) it should be perfect. At 125 miles on my odometer, I am not sorry for this purchase.

90 mph on 2 lane roads feels like 120 mph
By Franklin

2018 Subaru Impreza 2.0i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

The steering ratio on the new Impreza global platform requires a heavy hand on the steering wheel to keep it on the road. Our other new 2018 Hyundai Ioniq has the perfect steering ratio and you can drive it with the little finger of one hand. But the Impreza requires constant 2 handed heavy hands to keep it on the highway At one point I was passing 2 semi's on a 2 lane road and ended up having to pass them at over 90mph to avoid other traffic and at that speed it felt like it was going to go airborne and fly off the road. It was that unstable at 90mph and felt like going 120mph --and it was a safety issue. So I dont recommend driving it over 70 mph under any condition. Replacing the Continental low end tires with high performance Michelin highway tires might help stabilize it. Apparently they changed the steering ratio from 16 to 1 down to 13 to 1 with the new global platform and thats why you have to drive it with such a heavy hand.. and I consider it a serious safety issue. For instance, if you just touch the steering wheel a tiny fraction, you will be off the road in an instant. Thats what I mean about driving it with a heavy hand. None of our other 5 cars have that issue with such critical heavy handed steering. I'm going to contact Subaru about the new Impreza steering issue. Also, the air conditioning with the outside air temp over 90 degs cant keep up with it. I asked the dealer to verify the A/C was working properly and they said it was. Temp less than 80 degs F range allows the A/C to handle it. But anything higher up into the 90 deg F range is marginal A/C performance compared to our other 5 cars.

Awesome!
By Susan

2018 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great vehicle! I bought the Impreza sport & my daughter bought the Impreza base model. We are both extremely happy with them.

Fourth time is the charm!
By Portia

2018 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is my fourth Impreza. (My fifth Subaru) She handles like a race car, but is the safest car I have ever owned. I just love it. You will to.