Used 2009 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 240 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Mostly great car. Now if stuff would stay attached
By Gretchen B.

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first Subaru and I've enjoyed owning it, with a few reservations. The pros: I like the styling and the comfort of driving it. Although this vehicle is a SUV I LOVE that it's small. (I can actually fit into "compact car" spaces!) Even though it's smallish I like that I can haul stuff in it and that I can haul stuff AND people without trouble. The cons: The biggest gripe I have about this car is that I feel like I'm driving a tin can. The detailing is rather utilitarian and STUFF KEEPS FALLING OFF! For example, the seatbelt holder thingy on the backseat just came off one day. It'll cost a cool $125 to re-attach it so it won't fall off again. Various screws and knobs fall off of things or come out of where they're supposed to be attached. Every time I complain about this to the mechanic he says he can fix it and he does -- by just putting it back in again (thanks I can do this myself and do...often) or he says it'll cost me usually in the range of $125-200 to fix. This is an all-wheel drive so mileage isn't great. In the city I average about 22.5 mpg and on the highway I'm at around 25.5 mpg.

HEY! It's our 3rd Forester
By oncoursebob

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

What is most important to you if you are considering a new or replacement vehicle? As stated in the title, we have owned 3 Foresters. Should speak for it's self. We live in Nebraska, that too should speak for it's self:). My wife's car. She drives from our rural home to Omaha five days a week about 80 miles RT. Rain, sleet, snow well, you get it. Our ownership is based primarily on three factors. 1 Value for dollar spent 2 It does what we need a vehicle to do (and then some) 3 Our overall personal standards and ratings of similar vehicles keeps us going back to the Forester. No bling factor involved just dependable vehicle for - dare I say - practical people with a true sense of value.

2009 Subaru Forester did the job!
By Carl

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

That it is a very reliable car and will be a great deal.

Great small SUV
By Alberto

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Very comfortable seats and roomy rear seat. Decent acceleration and great snow traction. Highly rated crash tests and very good resale.

A great car for little money.
By David

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Owned & drove one for 9 years & was amazed how much value remained when I recently sold it with 102,000+ miles on it. Built like a tank. Tough, dependable, great in all kinds of weather. Enjoyable to drive 5 Spd stick.