Used 2009 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 237 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Great small SUV
By Alberto

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Very comfortable seats and roomy rear seat. Decent acceleration and great snow traction. Highly rated crash tests and very good resale.

A great car for little money.
By David

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/All Weather, Premium Pkg, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Owned & drove one for 9 years & was amazed how much value remained when I recently sold it with 102,000+ miles on it. Built like a tank. Tough, dependable, great in all kinds of weather. Enjoyable to drive 5 Spd stick.

Great Car at the Time for the Money
By Ted Smith

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car in 2009 when it had been awarded the Motor Trend Car of the Year. It is a great car for the year I bought it, and I've loved the AWD feature of Subaru that lets me drive this car with equanimity through rain and snow and ice (like a postman :) Of course, over time, other SUVs have come up with improvements. I can think of two things I specifically miss on this car: 1) A true GPS map system that doesn't require expensive DVDs to replace new street information in developing neighborhoods (critical for a REALTOR); and 2) a video rear-view camera for backing up (I've put a few dings in my bumper and fenders along the way). Other than, I'm satisfied and will probably drive this SUV to 180,000 miles!

The one and only
By Allen

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/VDC, Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car new. Meticulously dealer maintained first 4 years. Excellent independent mechanic last 4 years. First surprise, we had to replace the front suspension lower gel-filled fittings at 50k miles cracked=$500.00. Second surprise, replaced right front brake caliper three times over time. Third, transmission cooling lines failed, go figure. Fourth, head gaskets $2000.00. On the plus side, tire wear has been good with Yokohama Geolanders. Exhaust system has lasted a long time (except we had to have all the heat shields cut off), unbearable rattling. This is the one and only Subaru we’ll ever own. Love my “Subie”? Give me a break. Going back to Toyota and Honda. Please save me!

Got a lemon
By Joseph Rodriguez

Usually has good reviews as a reliable vehicle which was why I switched from Toyota to Subaru. After replacing my engine at 142 K miles, will go back to Toyota for reliability for my next vehicle. 70 K miles on new engine and had to change head gaskets and also the transmission valve body. Too many parts going as I also replaced all the bearings. Service was good to replace parts for free and charge recall labor prices. Still sour to the brand.