Used 2016 Subaru Crosstrek Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Subaru Crosstrek Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Crosstrek model:

Good SUV
By EJO

2016 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

The car is slightly underpowered but that results in excellent fuel MPG. This is an overall good small SUV which gang compete with the Honda CRV on the HRV and the likes.

Outstanding compact SUV
By Frederick P. Remelius

2016 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Sold my 2016 Crosstrek to my daughter and bought a new 2018 Crosstrek. We have 4 Subarus in our driveway.

Lots of space in a tiny ride, great gas mileage
By Molly L

2016 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek Limited 2.0i in May of 2017. I had seen photos of it online but never had seen one in person. When I went to the lot to check it out, I almost got into an Outback sitting next to it. I said to the dealer, "Wait..That tiny thing next to it is the Subaru I was looking at online?!". I was disappointed at first, since I have a 33" inseam I assumed the leg room issue would come into play, but nope! As long as my seat is pushed back a little and my steering wheel is placed upward, I'm fine. AND anyone sitting behind me STILL has plenty leg room. Its so strange how little the Crosstrek looks outside, yet is pretty roomy inside. The CVT took some getting used to. It felt like pressing the gas would either go nowhere, or go too fast. It took about a month for the computer and I to get to know each other, finally it was smooth sailing. Its kind of weird on gas. Putting expensive ultimate gas in it gives only maybe 10 extra miles than cheap, ethanol-laced gas, so don't waste your money putting expensive gas in. It gets SUPER great gas mileage on road trips for me. I don't even use a quarter a tank to drive 3.5 hours to the beach in warm or hot weather (seriously get about 38-40MPG!).. In the city in winter, though? Oh man.. Only like 22MPG. BUT..that still beats my old Mazda5 by a longshot. We just had our first snow dump here and I was able to get up my steep driveway in 5 inches snow and ice with no issue. My guys Toyota Carolla was stuck at the bottom of the driveway. I drove slow (20-30MPH) through town during heavy snows and ice with no issue. Maybe could have went faster but I'm not about to drive a relatively new Subaru like an idiot in hazzardous conditions (actually saw an Outback wrecked into a ditch into some trees by a curve. Slow down, guys!). The AC and heat is awesome but I wish there was more heat directed towards the feet. I hear this is fixed in the 2018 model. Mine has heated seats and OH WOW are they awesome! Leather seats are a breeze to clean, EXCEPT bleeding hair dye. I had dyed my hair blue to match the Subaru logo for a couple months and it bled onto my headrest and took some hefty scrubbing with alcohol to remove. If you dye your hair, cover your headrest! But as for all the junk my toddler and my stepkids throw at the seats, it comes right up with just a damp cloth. Infotainment system is a breeze and works great. I love the speaker system in the car! I love a wide range of music genres and they all sound SO lovely on those updraded HK speakers. My only real complaints so far: I absolutely despise whatever material it is Subaru used on the doorside armrests like where the windows and lock controls are. It is SO banged up looking. I bought my car with 19k miles on it and that whole area was already ruined. I looked into replacing it but apparently the entire inside of the door must come off to change it. No thanks. I'll deal with the eye sores.. The paint on the outside of the car.. I have a crystal silica black one, and man is she sexy but yes, slightest little rock chips the paint. I have since bought some mud flaps and hood deflector before it gets any worse. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is my review of the 2016 Subaru Crosstrek Limited 2.0i :)

2016 crosstrek
By Stan Kosmicki

2016 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It should have had a 6 speed trans. and a little more power but it's a excellent car for the money.

Warning: Not for tall families!
By Rachael

2016 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car with our first child in tow. Every dealer reassured us of how family friendly it was and during our test drives it seemed great. However after owning the car my husband has complained that in order for the carseat to fit behind the driver seat he has to sit uncomfortably close to the wheel. We moved our child to the passenger side but now that we have two there is no choice but to have a seat behind the driver. My husband and I are constantly arguing over which is the biggest liability- moving our child to front facing before recommended or continuing to have my husband drive cramped up without free range of motion. Either way it seems like this is not the safest and best choice for our family. If you are over 6 feet tall I'd suggest you go for something else.