Used 2012 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Great Entry Level Luxury/Sports Car
By Cade Milam

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have only had the car a little over a month. I bought it with 40K miles on it and I have since added about 4K to that. I work about 40 minutes away from home so I am on the road a lot. This car is extremely quiet at highway speeds. It feels solid and stable, even well above the speed limit. It corners well and handles great for such a big sedan. My only complaint would be the turning radius because it is rather large. The brakes are nice and strong, though even though mine are new, the do squeak just the slightest when they’re cold, but the stopping power and pedal feel are both excellent. The front seats are extremely supportive and comfortable and all of your resting points are soft and well made. The leather wrapped around the steering wheel is a little slick, so watch out for that - especially when flooring the car because there is a considerable amount of torque steer, but nothing scary. Power in plentiful. I have yet to feel the need to have more of it. I traded in a Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited so when I put my foot down in my Maxima, I was blown away. You do pay at the pump though. As Nissan recommends Premium Fuel, that is what I use. I average about 24MPG, so it isn’t bad. Mostly interstate miles but some city driving is thrown in there too. I haven’t had any issues with anything yet, but I am going to assume I will have one soon. The is a metal on metal click sometimes when I hit my brakes. There is nothing wrong with them, I just hear the noise. And when I start the car when the engine is cold, there is a loud rattle for about 1-2 seconds. I don’t know what it is and I don’t know what is causing it, but I am assuming something is loose or it is just valve clatter due to a cheap oil filter. I am getting the oil changed soon so I will update if it fixes the issue. I love this car. Everyone said to get a more loaded one with leather, heated and cooled seats, etc... but the only two things I wanted was HID headlight and a sunroof. The cloth Nissan used grips better anyway. I’ll have this car until it no longer runs so I wil update every so often throughout my ownership.

Very good car
By A...herr

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I got my 2012 sv maxima back in June with 42 thousand miles on it it now has 51 thousand miles on it now..I saw the car for sale on a used car lot I told the sales manager I wanted the fastest car he got on his lot he gave me the key Bob to my maxima and after I drove it and the power of this car put me back in the seat it bought it great car but I am told they got a lot of transmission problems and my warranty is off. Not shure what to do with the car

I love this car.
By Jim

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This is far and away the best car I have ever owned. The quality in the build of the car is apparent as soon as you step into the vehicle. The car is super quick. My previous car was a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP with a 5.3 liter V8. This car feels every bit as fast as the Grand Prix and falls short only at high speeds. I've test drove Accords and Camrys with V6 engines but this car feels like its in another class of performance and luxury. So far I am the second owner of my Maxima. Zero problems. The only issue I would say the car has is not good in snow despite being a FWD car. If you live in a place with snow get some nice snow tires.

Still have the Maxima on 3/20/16. Everything i said above - true

Much better than I expected
By ffabric

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We bought our car 6/3/14 rebuilt title with 7000 miles on it. Its Black Rose with Tan Interior. We paid $15,000.00 for it and Of course we were a bit timid trusting the car at first. We have had it a year now,,, and have put 7,500 miles on it and its been a joy to drive. We average 26 mpg (On regular gas), which is guess is good,,, Heck its got almost 300HP and its quick,, agile and comfortable. The radio system is outstanding,,, the leather seats are first class,,, all the appointments are great. The weak point is the Heater/Air Condition ETC. Folks,,,, this car is fun to drive, and its handles like a sports car. Glad we bought it..........

Nice vehicle overall with the technology package.
By jmn5467

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought mine new in early 2012 - it's an SV Premium with Tech Package (basically the most expensive sedan the Nissan dealer had on the lot). Overall I'd say I'm happy with no major problems, although this thing was expensive for a Nissan (paid somewhere around $35k). I am so happy I sprung for the tech package as I would have regretted not getting it.

The high-resolution info screen that comes with the tech packaage was reason enough for me to spring for the tech/nav (even though I rarely use the nav). In my mind, if I'm gonna look at this screen every single day I want it to be the high-res one and not the cheap looking one in the non-tech models (or the laughable "Atari" display in the base model). The Bluetooth audio and iPhone/iPod integration was nice for the year (pretty standard now). Cooled seat is fantastic. I leave it on all summer - I hate having a sweaty butt/back on leather seats and this is just the ticket for preventing that. Tech package stereo sounds great. One of the best sounding factory stereos I've heard.

Wish the car was just a little bit bigger in all dimensions. Rear seat is fairly tight - fine for kids but if you routinely have adults back there (I don't) I wouldn't recommend this car. If I would have had the choice I would have not gotten the dual panel sunroof. I rarely open it and don't really like the flimsy cloth covers that cover the front/back sunroofs - they flop around if you have the windows open on a windy day. I thought about getting the Sport package (instead of premium) but that supposedly has a stiffer suspension which I didn't really want. My driver's seat did develop a small rip in it which I've taped. Unsure how it got there or if it's common.