Used 2003 Mercury Sable Sedan Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

Decent older car for new driver
By Michelle

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Considered this low mileage car as a replacement for high mileage Honda Civic. I was ready to do the deal but my mechanic said I’m better off with the Honda which is running fine just a lot of miles and it won’t last forever! Mechanic is a personal friend so his recommendation wasn’t based on future repairs to the Honda.

Best Ford/car I've ever had
By scott w

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Wasn't too familiar with the Sable when I got it. Having driven a lot of Fords, this one has surprised me. The most comfortable and quiet car I have been in. Never seen an adjustable gas pedal before, until now. I got this car at auction with 127k, and got it for a bid of only $425, if you can believe it. 14 months later, and a winter of if driving through snow as if it wasn't there, and I'm sold. Plan on buying another one after this.

Great car with one fatal flaw
By Roi

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The 2003 Mercury Sable was my first car. I got an amazing deal on, $3700 for 60K miles. Everything about the car was great, it was comfortable, great engine, and it was very safe. The only repair i had to make was a small brake fluid leak, which wasn't a big deal. Until, one day i was driving down the road, and the car just broke down on me without warning. It was the transmission, which i knew because the car revved, but didn't go anywhere. I took it to a mechanic, and they told me that the transmission was completely destroyed. They said it was going to cost $5000 to replace (i scrapped it obviously, thats double the price of the car), because my car had a "limited edition" transmission. Keep in mind that this happened with 62K on the odometer. Be wary with these cars, because the trans is its achilles heal.

2003 Mercury Sable LS
By Daniel W.

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car 2 years ago with 60K on it. Nice car. With it being heavy it goes through the snow like its a 4x4 or AWD. Love the LS. Don't like the 6 disc CD changer being in the trunk. I am not getting get the gas mileage I should. I might need a tune up. Do not like the cable gauges especially for the fuel. It goes up and down and I do not know if I need gas yet or not. On average I am getting 250mi on a tank when Edmunds say 350. Wish it had heated seats.

One big issue I have is the wheel wells are rusting like crazy. All behind the rocker panels is starting to really rust. Not really a fan of this. I try to keep this car as clean and nice looking as possible. To keep the car as luxury feeling as it I think it should be.

Love the wood grain. Has that luxury feel to it since it has the chrome rims. Roomy as well. Nice car all over. Would defiantly recommend this car

Winter beater
By mark

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I originally bought the car to drive in the winter to save my mustang from the winter climate of Wisconsin. The car has been very reliable and good on fuel (27 hwy). The only problem I have had with it was that a dealer did an oil change and didn't tighten the filter fully, oil leaked down onto the starter and caused the starter to malfunction.I have heard that the transmission is the weak link on these cars but so far has been shifting properly, I would recommend this car for a used car purchase

strong running 3.0 v6, good ride, Body and interior holding up very well

none that I can think of.