Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel Consumer Reviews

E300TD 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbodiesel 5-speed Automatic - (15 reviews )

If not for a deer, I'd still be driving it
By Steve M

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

My 99 E300TD was fast, great gas mileage, dependable and a looker. Seats were only OK, comfort wise, I've sat in better, but not uncomfortable either. My love for the car was the power, MPG, longevity and the value of having a car that I could put 100K on and not drop the resale more than $1000 of what I paid.

Great car
By Sean

Disappointing Quality
By Charles Boelens

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

My 5th MB diesel (170/190/220/300 (1975)), bought new and kept almost 10 yrs. The 99 the only disappointing one, a pleasure to drive, but very disappointing quality, rust (repainted a few times by MB, but it is back 2 years later)and many electric and various problems that just should never have happened, wheel bearings, generator, mirrors, CD changer, lampsockets, sliding roof, airconditiong etc. For the money we spend every year with MB Toronto on maintenance (incidentally, excellent service, pricey, but no hassles !) I could lease another car !

Wonderful car to drive, excellent response, no engine problems, cold weather start no problem.

Improve the parts and the body quality.

Not As Good As It Should Be
By Nomorebenz4me

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has been nothing but trouble since I purchased it brand new. Electrical problems followed by coolant and fuel line problems. It has been in the shop at least once every 2-3 months since purchase. Since warranty expired it costs $500 per visit minimum and sometimes up to $2000. The mileage has never been more that 29 mpg and it is a diesel! I will never buy another Mercedes because of this experience.

None. Below expectations in all categories.

Make a more reliable car and stand behind it.

Lone star
By diesel benz forever

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

I have driven MB for 20 years. The 1999 turbo diesel is a great car. It has plenty power on the highway. I am the second owner. It did have 70,000 km mostly highway. Replaced glow plugs, rotors, pads, front bearings, and the battery. I want to keep it and will replace timing chain before it hits the 300,000 km

Reliable