2019 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Review
Pros & Cons
- Generous list of standard features
- Athletic handling instills confidence
- Luxury badging without the premium price
- Potent performance from the AMG CLA 45
- Engine and transmission are slow to respond at low speeds
- The ride can be rather stiff
- Rear seats are confining
- Some interior elements aren't up to luxury car standards
List Price Estimate
$25,644 - $29,504
Used CLA-Class for SaleSee all for sale
Which CLA-Class does Edmunds recommend?
The 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 comes with a long list of standard features and packs more performance than the average driver will ever need. We suggest skipping the Multimedia package to get the stand-alone Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration instead. The Premium package is worth the extra expense for the heated seats, keyless entry and ignition, and blind-spot monitoring. The AMG CLA 45 should only be considered if performance is a priority.
Edmunds' Expert Review
With its strong four-cylinder and quick-shifting transmission, the CLA 250 offers enough performance to impress owners of the larger C-Class. Unfortunately, that same transmission can be quirky in typical driving.
The CLA 250 falls in between the expectations of a sport sedan and a luxury car. This may be a less expensive Mercedes, but it sure doesn't feel entry-level in terms of its suspension capabilities or the cabin's noise suppression.
The CLA has traditional Mercedes-Benz interior design in that it isn't flashy, but it surprises with its ease of use. Limited rear-seat access and space, plus lackluster visibility, hurt the CLA's score in this category.
Smart interior packaging allows for more storage options than in some rival sedans. The trunk is well-shaped with a large opening and benefits from standard split-folding rear seats to fit larger objects.
Most helpful consumer reviews
AMG CLA 45 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)
Bough this car not expecting, the ride and tech on this car. Handles the road, like it was born to be there. Classy looking and great aerodynamics. Loud riding, i guess from run flat free tires, noisy.
Features & Specs
Our experts like the CLA-Class models:
- Active Brake Assist
- Warns of an impending front collision and applies the brakes if the driver doesn't react.
- Blind-Spot Assist
- Displays a warning triangle in the mirror if a car is in your blind spot and beeps if you activate a turn signal.
- Attention Assist
- Uses many sensors and other data to tell if a driver is getting fatigued and suggests a rest stop.