Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG Consumer Reviews

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (15 reviews )

Good "bang for the buck"
By Chris

1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG C43 4dr Sedan

Bought a 1999 C43 in October with 129K on the odometer. So far I love it. I have a 1996 C220 and really liked the chassis, but disliked the lack of performance. Silver on the two-tone black and white interior. I am aware the official 0-60 time is something like 6 seconds, but it sure feels faster than that. I have previously owned a 1991 MR2 Turbo, with a 6.1 0-60, and a 1999 M3 with a 5.6 0-60, and this car feels like it pulls way harder than either of them. It can hit any speed limit on American roads with ease. Quickly. I feel the interior on this car is beautiful, better than any I have seen, personally. Gas mileage averages around 18.5 being driven mostly city and getting on the acceleration sometimes. Solid build quality. Harsh ride for sure, so things do rattle somewhat. Steering is nervous. Most reviews you read online are accurate. I've always driven manual transmissions, but for an auto, this one at least shifts where you would want it to. I spoke to my mechanic before I purchased it and he told me maintenance costs are more or less in line with other W202 Mercedes cars, save for the brakes, which will cost you $1500 or so to have done (double check that if you are concerned). But overall I love it. Right size, gobs of power, comfortable, and the first true AMG car. Cheap right now, but I have have to imagine the value will increase from here (see the E30 M3).

Muscular Athletic Sleeper Tiger
By Dan T

Not a tech review.
Fast? I can hit 50 in my driveway (it's only 220 feet long).
0-60 in about 6 seconds sure, but what it loves is when you're cruising about 80, you punch it, listen to that beautiful nasty growl (make sure there is nothing in front of you for a quarter mile) and hold on as it blasts past 100, 110, past 130 to my personal best of 145.
This M3 came up beside me on the Mass Pike around 90, we exchanged a knowing glance. Risking a ticket the size of Fenway park, he finally backed off at 130. My secret weapon is a K40 system and laser scrambling plates.
One last story. Had this baby 3 days and heading to the beach came around a corner about 110 staring right into a troopers radar gun and wide eyes. At first I thought he was going to arrest me, but he was a car guy and I ended up showing him the car. He smiled and told me to slow down.
Everyone wants a ride. Women love it. Mercedes quality that drives and sounds like a GTO. Enough said.

Rock Solid Fun
By dave22244

1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG C43 4dr Sedan

I have owned a 1999 C43 for 10 years, have 94,000 miles on it.
I had a 1992 Porsche-built MB 500 E before that.
I have owned many very high performance cars (1973 Datsun 240Z re-manufactured into a Scarab, 1954 Austin Healy with a 350 Chevy etc. and this one is my favorite. It is a a comfortable, reliable, solid, fast, functional sleeper. It is known locally as my truck, since I use it mostly to haul building materials of all sort. I love this car. My wife has a 1997 E550 and it is good, but not C43 good.

The exhaust note, the acceleration, the instant braking and the handling.

Amadeus ROCKS
By Russ Hoffman

1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG C43 4dr Sedan

I have owned several Mercedes-Benz from 280SE to a C240 4Matic (wife's car) and this is my favorite. Wonderful creature comforts and city driving manners, but that's NOT why you would buy this car. I just took it to High Plains Raceway to get acquainted in a controlled environment. This is a heavy car, but handles extremely well. Well-balanced, good turn-in, good feedback, controllable through the limits of adhesion, fun to throttle-steer (with traction control off). Though half a ton heavier, it held its own with M3s and 911s. Next trip is to the dyno to verify HP - this car is better than advertised, even with almost 100k miles!

Great balance and power. 302 hp? This car is much faster than my BMW 540i, which is rated at 305 hp. Balance. This car has less understeer than my BMW E36 track car.

Reduced weight.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!
By Homers4545

1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG C43 4dr Sedan

I only ever dreamed of owning an AMG. We found a very affordable C43, took it for a test drive and that was it! We had to have it. Incredible car to drive, sounds great, powerful, unreal handling and the brakes are unbelievable. Extremely comfortable interior. This car has it all. Only wish I could have afforded one years ago. We will never let this one go. Ultimate low key "sleeper" "super car".

The sound, the engine, the handling, the interior, the looks, actually everything!

Not a thing.