Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews - 318 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Never buy this car
By Melissa

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought this car with 50000 miles on it. I drove it off the lot of the whole sale dealer and the day after started having problems. It may be because it's used and I don't know how the person before me treated the car. I've had the car for a year and put over $4,000 into it already in repairs. As soon as it's fixed something else seems to go wrong. Not to mention the gas mileage is terrible!

It is a strong car, it holds up well in an accident.

Almost everything! I feel every single bump in the road, and I don't know how Mercedes made this car but they didn't make it very well. Not up to standards for a Mercedes Benz.

Selling this car
By Amy

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I got this car two years ago and loved it. But after 6 months everthing started to fall apart. My sunroof doesn't work. And the dealership said it would cost around $1000 to fix. My engine has had so much work done and has taken 5 weeks total. And it still needs more work. And the exhaust needs work too. This car is a money pit!

The look of it

Biggest mistake of my life.
By Jerry

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this used from a MB dealer with only 35000 miles. The moment I left the dealership, I started having problems with shaking, idling rough. It took 3 visits to the MB dealer in Florida before they corrected the problem. I have had this car in the shop so many times I lost count. Everything goes wrong with this piece of junk: Electrical system, door locks, instrument computer, door handle fell off, gaskets, seals, wheel problems, rotors, oil smells, AC going out, lights burning out constantly, etc. The service plan I purchased ($3500.00) ended up not covering most of the things and when it did, I paid $200 deductible each and every time.

The car is sporty and it gets looks, that's it. There is not a darn thing appealing about this car now. I despise it and can only wait till it's paid off enough to dump it on some other poor sucker.

No CD player, I purchased a C240 MB CD changer for $1000.00 and had it installed. Cup holder broke easily 3 times. Back seat area tiny, almost too small to be considered a 4 door. MB needs to recall Module control, door locks, heck the entire car!

It's been real good
By Brian S

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The car is coming up on seven years old. In those years it has been quite reliable. The supercharged engine gets 32-35 MPG on the highway, but still has great pick up when you need to punch up acceleration. City MPG suffers a bit in stop & go traffic. I am 6' 1" and find there is plenty of leg and head room. The hatch is great - too bad Americans do not favor this handy body style.

The engine acceleration after 1st gear. Great highway mileage. Excellent breaks and EPS system. Other safety features. Tight turning circle for city parking.

MB needs to bring back another hatchback or sport wagon stateside. Offered in Europe only.

Love My Little Car
By BarbaraTina

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

My experience owning a C230 has been delightful. I enjoy the spacious interior especially the fact that even someone with long legs may ride comfortably in the backseat. The sunroof has been such a pleasure. Also the glass top over the rear passengers seats make it unique. The car is very maneouverable and easy to fit into almost any parking space. The option to go from automatic to manual is fun. I appreciate the safe design of the car and the high crash test rating. The car is fun, safe and such a pleasure to drive. The only thing I see they could improve upon would be the comfortability of the seats. They feel too hard and flat. The actual seats leave alot to be desired.

The sunroof.

The comfort ability of the seats could be greatly improved. Otherwise it's a great little car.