Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews

Used RX-8 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...19

Pros
Cons

Need To Know!

RotorHead613, 03/17/2010

Rx-8's are good/great cars but few people know how to take care of them. They are amazing for handling and they are engineering marvels when it comes to the motor. The problem is most people who buy them, do it for the looks not the motor. Rotary is an amazing thing. YOU CANNOT BABY IT! When you buy a car do some research. Understand what your driving and what you need to do. rotary has a different oiling system and it requires the motor to be run at high rpm to keep it well oiled. I own a R1 93 RX-7 and My Rx-8 i know how to take care of them and if u listen to these words you wont have an issue. Check the oil every 750-1000 miles to make sure its full.

Awesome car for Rotary lovers!

Cam Smith, 08/07/2015
Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is a really great car, don't let negative reviews sway you as most of the negative reviews are from people who don't want to put in the extra time and care in maintenance. To truly appreciate this amazing vehicle, you need to have a decent understanding of the Wankel rotary engine. It's a super high revving engine due to its design (Redlines at 9000 RPMs). It's owners must love it enough to regularly check the fluids and conduct basic maintenance. The RX-8 will treat you awesome as long as you treat it awesome. The only thing I would recommend is that a perspective owner has the time and funds for keeping it maintained. If you drive it hard and keep the RPM's high, the engine will last a long, long time without carbon build-up. Just take the time to learn about it. I love driving mine! I bought mine as a project car and I have it almost all brand new now. I put a newly rebuilt engine in so the new engine only has 4,184 miles on it, although the odometer still has 172,824 on it. This car handles amazingly and accelerates like crazy once you pass 5k Rpms. The sound of a rotary engine is unlike anything. Another great thing is that they are highly customizable with wonderful support through online forums, clubs, and rotary fanatics. I'll never get rid of mine, no matter what the cost over my lifetime. I have never driven anything as fun as the RX-8, and I've been around a long time.

Still crazy after all these years

rockschwag, 04/19/2015
Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Can't believe the reviews I read about quality; this sports car has easily been the most reliable car I've ever had. After being left on the side of the road by mustangs and Camaros in the past, as a 6'4" guy I couldn't even fit in the new versions. So I tried this Japanese sports car after my AWD GSX blew, and I fit in it like a glove. You won't find many for sale, but that's how you know its good, and you should grab one before they disappear (like the RX-7). I got a fully loaded sport version in winning blue metallic with the spoiler and trim, and there isn't another one like it within 1000 miles. This is a special car.

Love my 2005 rx8

Me, 03/06/2016
Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love my car black on black 6 speed manual trans. Absolute blast to drive just as long the roads are dry. Its a rotary so checking the oil frequently and letting it warm up for a little bit in cold weather is a must and dont start it up and shut it right off cold and your fine. I was very lucky when i bought this car used because the owner took great care of it. Been having issues finding a passenger fender but its cosmetic stuff.

2nd To NONE

2rx8, 09/19/2010

My first RX8 was totaled in an accident (hit by red light run side driver door impact). Fire/EMT said side airbag saved serious head injury if not my life. When seeking replacement car I didn't hesitate to get another RX8. I've not been disappointed in the past 6 years and don't want to part with my RX8. Previously had RX7 and had problems with restart on cold engine, but never with my 2005. The only thing I've had to replace is the battery and tires. Love this car! And I have a Viper so I have real comparative performance. Not that the RX8 is anywhere near a Viper, but when I don't drive the Viper I don't at all mind my RX8.

Thanks Wankel!

kailua_chaos, 07/03/2010

This is my second RX8 - my first fell victim to a drunk driver - Handles EXTREMELY well, except in water. A little iffy on gas mileage, except I noticed in mid to high RPM range, gets way better mileage. Great car to race from a stop despite most RWD performances. Very crowded engine bay so semi difficult to work on, but a simple design and easy to take care of. Overall this car is a very mutual car, what I mean is, if you treat it good, it will treat you just as good or better. Oil changes and refills can get annoying, but definitely worth the trouble I'd say!

Warranty ran out & 1 thing after another

FLLawyer, 07/14/2010

Bought the car because of looks and the zoom, zoom, zoom when I accelerated. Then the dealership made a recommended adjustment on one of my visits (due to a grinding/rattle noise on sudden accelerations from day one) and the responsiveness was never the same. Right after the 5 yr warranty ran out, the dealership in St. Pete announced that the vibration I was feeling was the engine mounts being kaput. This was a known problem they got a bulletin on. Never told me. They quoted $700 to fix. We bought Mazda mounts from a dealership on line and Midas installed-total cost $300. Soon thereafter the airbag light went on. It flashes or stays on permanently. So got to take it in again.

It's a love, hate relationship

Jessica, 06/29/2009

I purchased my RX8 used almost 2 years ago. My engine started "fluttering" 4 days after I bought the car. I have only had problems since. If your RX-8 is not idling correctly, you need to have the engine replaced. Finally after 2 years of problems, mine are about to be solved. If you are looking to buy this car, please know that it is not a grocery getter. You have to heat the engine completely up before you can turn it off. Do yourself a HUGE favor and do some research. You would be amazed at what needs to be done for the upkeep of this car. I love mine to the point that I cant trade it in. Make sure you are willing to put in the time and effort to keep it up.

Dream come true!

Drek4, 04/09/2010

Just purchased this awesome machine a little over a month ago. This car is real fun to drive and really stands out by it`s looks and rotary motor. Only thing I don`t really like about it is its fuel consumption but other than that it`s a sheer pleasure to drive. I read a lot of people need to add oil, but have done 2500 mi without needing to add a drop. The best place for it is on the highway, mind you curving roads are fine if you don`t mind the bumps. Suspension a little firm on this car. The Bose sound system is just fine and has a great surround effect and the front seats are very comfortable for 2 hour + rides.

Mazda rx-8

Mike Elliott, 07/27/2005

Performance--lacks low end torque, (Mazda claims 0-60 in 5.9 seconds which is B.S.) 0- to 60 in mid to high 6's. Car still is qicker than most, and it is a blast to drive. Handling is amazing , braking is exceptional. I love the instrument panel. Get used to the high revving engine - and you will enjoy.

12345...19