Used 2002 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used MPV for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

I Can't Complain

wiz8mom, 09/01/2012

We purchased our MPV used in 2005 with about 45,000 miles on it. With an extended warranty, we paid total about $11,000. It now has 227,000 miles on it (365,000km). We had to have the transmission replaced at 95K miles, but it was covered under our extended warranty. We had coils replaced at one point, and a couple of other repairs around the $300 mark. Regular oil changes and routine maintenance (brakes, trans. fluid, etc), this van has kept chugging along. Along with daily driving, we drove from Auburn, WA to B.C. Canada twice a week for 2 years (6 hours round trip), while hauling 2 drums, harnesses, 2 sets of bagpipes, and 4 teenagers, 2 adults. We averaged 22-24 hwy mpg

Used

rich, 03/27/2010

The car is awesome for me. The interior space with rear seats removed makes this van a winner hauling stuff, camping out or whatever. It's been a very dependable car with plenty of pep and it is really well balanced, even with a full load, the car drives the same!

Too many mechanical problems

Jim, 01/26/2010

The 3.0l engine and 5 speed gives the MPV a great drive. Fit and finish is good. But at 60,000 miles I have needed to replace ignition coils, have had numerous transmission problems and underside of the hood has rusted into swiss cheese. My MPV also seems to wreck rear tires, has a small coolant leak and the door locks don't work anymore. Exhaust fell apart at 40,000 miles. I expect to have problems with an older vehicle, but have never had problems like this with anything I've ever owned before. I love the car, but not as much as my mechanic.

A Good Pal

joe4prez, 12/02/2010

Bought our MPV new in 2002 and now have 82K miles. We've had a good experience with the van with very few issues. The only problems were replacing 3 coil packs at 65K miles and the fan module at 72K miles. Cost us about $500 for both. After 8 years the car is still solidly built, no electrical or mechanical issues, and no rusting. So far so good.

One of the worst

zzz, 12/04/2009

Shocked to see average consumer rating is 8.8. One if the worst ever owned. People must not own this vehicle for long, or drive it very much, otherwise how could you not have these persistent problems: coils, pcv hoses, fan control modules (all these have failed multiple times, some even after the recall work). Lesser frequent problem: tranny totally quit, front stabilizer links, control arms, wheel bearing, coolant reservoir cracked, intake bellow gone bad (too lean CEL), O2 sensor, catalytic converter below threshold, driver side window motor, flex pipe leak, rust everywhere. All these problems happened on an MPV bought new and religiously maintained.

Decent family van

Andrea, 02/13/2010

I've enjoyed the benefits of this smaller-sized van. Our family fills it, but it has met our needs. With wise packing and a rooftop carrier, we can carry whatever we need. Ours has about 115 k miles on it, and ran well until about a year ago. We have spent quite a bit of money on repairs recently, and the "check engine" light continues to indicate a problem. I think it is nearly time to replace it, but it has served us well.

Great used buy

bjones440, 05/12/2005

I purchased an '02 ES model used late in '03. This seemed like the best used buy if you are not too concerned with interior space, because it is smaller than most. Has the most bang for the buck for a highly rated import with power sliding doors. Drives and handles superb for a minivan. Seats seem a little narrow, but I got used to them. Unfortunately the ignition coil went out twice on different cylinders while under warranty, so the dealer replaced the coils and plugs on all 6 cylinders. That was in March '04, no other problems. Stock tires seem to wear quickly, as I noticed on most other used MPVs. I just replaced mine at 58k with Michelin Hydroedge. Very limited choice on this size tire.

Horror!

zpg, 08/08/2010

Premature and/or repeated problems: coils, pcv valve, fan control module, transmission, radiator, motor mounts, window motor, rust

Don't Buy It

02 Mazda Lx, 07/29/2010

We first saw the Mazda MPV at the 2001 LA Car Show. I fell in love with third row fold and sporty design. My wife and I have two boys and the car was perfect for our needs. Then the nightmare began. We have had the transmission flashed two times because of shift problems. The PCV pipe cracked and caused idle problems. The brake rotors went out of balance and shook the car like helicopter was above us. Now at 72K the transmission failed. Payed 1400 to replace it. 2 months later the radiator fluid has leaked into one of the transmission cooling lines and again the transmission misshifts. It is in the shop more than on the road. Save yourselves and do not buy this vehicle. I am trading mine in!

Be careful!!

Ian, 11/29/2008

Many, many problems! A lot of what I've already read - Ignition coils (all 6), sliding door - sticks and doesn't operate properly, and now the tranny - it's in the shop right now. I actually have filled almost 10 pages of a notebook because our experience has been so surreal. I even bought the extended Mazda Canada warranty, only to find out time and time again that nothing was covered.

My unreliable 2002 MPV

Nigel, 01/10/2009

My experience started with trading in my 2000 MPV, which had been reliable but underpowered, for the 2002. The tires went bald at 55k km (about 30k miles) and I had to pay lots for Turenza's with a 150k tread warranty. After the warranty expired lots of problems - front axle stabilizers both went during a road trip, hand brake cable ($250 to fix!), rear shocks, tranny cooler, 4 sets of front rotors, and finally the transmission linkage while it was getting serviced at the dealership!! Mileage was always poor for the 3L engine and tranny frequently banged while shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Reflashing the computer didn't help. Happy ending though - I got $3k trade in last week for a Matrix!

converted mom

UnJung, 09/29/2002

Wasn't going to consider a mini-van but after driving in a carpool last year, I needed a car w/more seating capacity. I loved my Sable wagon but didn't want to bend and move my stuff from the back. My husband wanted the GMC Envoy and so did I until I saw the MPV. My first impression was that it didn't look like an "ugly bubbly" mini-van. After the test drive, I was sold. It handled like my car and I liked the fact that my 2 kids would be in separate rows. Less fighting! Picking up 5 little kids for school, this works perfectly. I've had it a week and I'm enjoying driving a van.......I've joined the "band of motherhood!"

One of best cars I've ever driven

mazda_guy, 03/21/2002

I bought this car a month ago. This is one of the best cars I ever had. Very quiet even at high speeds. At 80 MPH engine rev at only 2300 RPM. Plenty of power with 200 HP. Great acceleration.

2002 MPV ES Rating

Excalibur1993, 05/21/2002

Took out for one hour test drive and look over before buying. Went back with my head between my legs. I couldn't find anything wrong with it at all. Everything was there. No scratches. Ran great. And Zoom, Zoom, Zoom. Sure is fun to drive.

Warning...This van sucks!

Cancer Patient, 01/03/2003

This is the 1st vehicle I had to get rid of within a 2 yr. period. The heating system sucks - no even distribution, the gear is in the way of my radio & A/C, Very hard to remove any stains from carpet, Front cup holders are not secure - soda tips over all the time, CD plays when it wants to, loud engine when idling, no pick up, sulfur smell and the serv. dept. can't figure out the problem, 1 "old" mazda protege loaner vehicle in the entire dealership only for repairs beyond 48hrs. If you want some real service..purchase from Honda, Toyota, or Lexus where the service is A-1

The Best Choice

Zoom -Zoom in NJ, 01/10/2003

This is our first minivan...and we are completely satisfied. Honda wasn't willing to negotiate an inch- and Sienna was too big with DULL exterior styling. We have an infant and a toddler so we weren't ready for the huge mom-mobiles! We got an excellent dealer incentive- and great treatment. Drives and handles like a car. My son loves his "new big car"! We take turns driving. By far this was the best choice. GFX, Luxury, Entertainment, Security packages.

never again

mitcam, 01/17/2003

I think this van is pretty to look at but not much else given teh $$ you pay to own it there aren't a lot of fun features and if you think about cutting costs by not having the higher end AC/Heat package because it is a small van think again, it takes forever to cool down or warm up this van. The vents under the front seat are not large enough or powerful enough to control the temp. It is very small, can be very cramped in the front with average size adults in both seats. Overall good handling but definitly sacrifice space and comfort in this van.

MPV LX

mfenrn, 12/06/2006

I traded my Camry in to buy "a van" because of my ailing father who required an electric wheel chair. It was a purely practical decision based on needs and good reviews. Little did I know how much use I was about to get from it with the upcoming hurricane season! It hauled all the plywood and related supplies needed with ease. It also accommodated the 7 foot collapsible ramps and Jet Three wheel chair for Dad, still allowing room for luggage and extra passengers. I fell in love with this car/van. It drives and rides like a car, looks nicer than any other van (my opinion), handles beautifully! My only complaint rests with the transmission, which sometimes "revs" when you accelerate.

Good MPV

Chop100, 04/08/2002

We sold a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee to buy the 2001 Mazda we bought. So far it's a great vehicle. By far the easiest vehicle to drive I've ever owned. great visibility, handling and roads manners. The off the line performance is not great, but generally lack of power is not that noticeable.

Zoom-Zoom -- Believe It!

Pilot, 04/13/2002

Believe it or not, we were deciding between some very different vehicles when we fell for the 2002 MPV, including the Toyota Sienna, Ford Expedition, and the Toyota Sequoia. The MPV won out purely due to a MUCH more bang for your buck reason. Believe the commercials -- Mazda has a great minivan in the 2002 MPV. The drive is very smooth (probably a lot due to the 17-inch wheels), the horsepower is finally there (zoom zoom), the high-end features are definitely there, and although it's a bit early in the running to tell it appears to be built very well.

It really is fun to drive!

pigdog, 04/24/2002

Test drove MPV with 200hp. Decided I could live with this very nice van. They are not kidding, it is the anti- mini van . Mazda has a nice web site that allows a detailed search of dealer inventories - even for those dealers who don't show much detail on their individual web sites. This is a nice versatile van. Firm, sporty ride, quick acceleration. Feels like a good euro sedan compared to the boat like ride of many other vans. Quality after two months is superb. Received many positive comments about midnight metallic blue color. Standard sound system is very good.

Nice design, poor execution

NicoleNSteve, 09/26/2008

The MPV is comfortable, and very plush for a mini-van. Power doors in rear, windows that lower on both back doors, leather throughout, and a nice sound system. This is the second MPV we purchased brand new from dealer. And the second that has required a new transmission at about 40K. Mazda helped us the first time,after much pushiness on our part, but refused on the second. Maybe they figure we should have learned our lesson? It's too bad. It drives well, and the only other serious complaint is lousy mileage. But no more Mazdas for us.

Love it!

newtomazda, 04/28/2002

This is my first minivan and first Mazda. So far, I am very impressed on both accounts. It is so easy to drive and priced in my market. I was interested in moving up to a family car but this minivan had so much more to offer. Way better than the Honda that everyone rates so highly. I think Mazda needs to promote this van more!

MPV ES 2002

AAS, 04/29/2002

Owned for 2 weeks, we love this MPV ES, it handles and accelerate very well. It has comfortable ride, just that wind noise above 50mph, but it could be jut the roofrack

Absolutely Love It!

Family Man, 05/12/2002

This minivan has it all! We love the third row seat fold away and how it reverses for tailgates etc.. The handling is superb, the 200 hp engine is fantastic. The overall attention to quality detail is great. This minivan is comfortable, well made and has some zip to it. We have been a Mazda family for many years, from my 83 RX-7, my wife's former 323, my mom's 626 to her new Protege', we have experienced the dependability of these wonderful cars. Take a look and compare it to the Honda and you will see that you get a great deal and save some bucks too! Believe me, the fold away third seat is a must!

great van

Skinsfan, 05/08/2002

I purchased my MPV in may of 2001. It has been a great van for our family its not too small, and its not too big its just the right size. We have taken our MPV all over the east coast and its performed outstanding.

Problem after a week

Mateusz, 05/10/2002

Purchased my MPV recently. Its very nice and comfortable car. One sour node was that after a week check engine light came on. Dealer needed three days to repair. Came out that transmission control computer failed and needed to be replaced. Hopefully I will have better luck with it in the future.

Great Minivan

gem76_girl, 05/14/2002

This mini van a great mini van with a good price. Our first choice was the over priced Honda Odyssey. After reviewing all of the mini vans on the market we came across the MPV. I believe it is the most comparable to the Honda Odyssey with a better price.

LUVRMPV

msgjvh, 05/19/2002

Vehicle is performing very well. I have the 2000 and would love to get the 2002. You will not be disappointed. 50K miles and still have not redone the brakes!!!

Mazda MPV

Joe Shmoe, 05/19/2002

A fine van with very few if any liabilities. Would love to have some of the Japan only options, but its fine as is.

nva mpv lx reveiw

ed_r_22192, 05/18/2002

The LX we purchased has peformed flawlessly. To include a 1500 mile round trip from Northern Virginia to East Central Illinois. While in the Indiana area we were able to see the Traction Control System perform. While travelling down a muddy dirt road the cars ahead of us were fishing tailing and seemed to have difficulty controlling themselves. The MPV had no problems and the flashing TCS light indicated it was doing its job. We were even fortunate enough to exceed to posted MPG rattings averaging just over 27 MPG. I would recommend this model MPV to anyone.

Great Little Van

lal_clt, 05/20/2002

I wanted a van for hauling stuff, not necessarily passengers, so I didn't need a huge van. The MPV is perfect! It's only 2 in. longer than my previous Volvo sedan, yet with the fold into the floor third row seats, it carries lots. The MPV handles beautifully, has a short turning radius, and is very comfortable. The 200 hp motor lets me go zoom-zoom all over town.

Check out all mini's

Va.Mike, 05/19/2002

The MPV listed for $23,120. I bought the basic LX with a few minor extras. I paid $19,800 for the MPV and am very happy so far. At this price I was well below all other contenders including all the rebates. Ford Windstar had almost $4400 in rebates and another couple of thousand in discounts and my MPV price when everything is compared was a better long term deal.

Excellent hauler for a small family

exHondaOwner, 05/21/2002

Test drive one & you'll know what the rave is all about. Smooth, powerful, quiet, & with a combination of functional elements that you won't find in any other minivan. Build quality is excellent (the only Japanese minvan that is actually built in Japan) with ergonomics that is as good or better than Honda's.

Protege/MPV

bean3422, 05/21/2002

My first experience with a Mazda vehicle was my neighbor's 1992 Protege LX with 175,000 miles on it. My GM vehicle with 80,000 miles on it had broken down, and I had to use her car to go get parts. I had so much fun in that car with 175,000 miles on it. It also felt better put together than my GM vehicle. Since I was in the market, I immediately researched and purchased a 2000 Protege ES. I am now a proud owner of a 2002 Coastal Blue MPV ES, and I feel just a strongly about it. Just as the Protege is the most fun small car, the MPV is the most fun minivan. The fact that it looks so good only cinches the deal in my opinion.

Zoomzoom indeed

billlmckinley, 05/20/2002

Generally spirited, despite its "inferior" engine size. Marvelous handling--more like a touring car than a van. Extremely well laid-out interior, and a price that's unbeatable. A lot of bang for the buck. And the new one, with the larger engine, goes like a bat.

Completely Happy

Alvin, 03/21/2009

My wife and I wanted a minivan that wasn't so bulky, with 3RD row stow away seats, and something with decent power under the hood. The 3.0L motor is both powerful and smooth. You forget it's a minivan you're driving. The 5 speed automatic makes a world of difference on the freeway and we've found it to be smooth on shifts. We have 118,000 miles, and so far so good. We were going to buy a Honda, but after research, they had just as many complaints from its customers and was bigger than we liked

MPV ES

edhughes, 05/20/2002

I've had the vehicle for a couple of months now and I could not be happier. It great for the family and a little sportier than the larger vans on the market.

Best Value

owr084, 05/20/2002

Definite improvement over the '00/'01 models - the new V-6 makes the MPV a true contender. Our ES came loaded with 4-Seasons, sunroof, CD Changer, bumper plate, roof rack, and foglights all for $28K (including tax, etc.). No other minivan came close in price or options (looked at Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford, and Honda). And, it's fun to drive. Zoom-zoom-zoom

Best vehicle ever

Curious Canadian, 05/20/2002

I've had 2 Caravans before, and they don't come close. The MPV is great fun to drive. Great handling, performance, outward visibility. We took it on one long trip already. We drove all day without feeling it at all. The sound system helps the overall experience.

Great MiniVan!

pgp, 05/24/2002

I needed a full size SUV. My wife wanted a Minivan. Finally both of our wish got fulfilled how?. You guessed it right! We bought 2002 MPV ES. It's great minivan which looks and feels like a SUV. It has all most all the features of Odyssey yet it is lot cheaper than Odyssey and readily available to drive it home same day unlike Odyssey where you have to wait at least 3 months. We love the drive and comfort.

was in love for six years; now betrayed!

sofla, 04/07/2009

I absolutely have loved this vehicle until this week. Bought it new off the lot, invested in all the recommended maintenance. So easy to handle, with a sportier look than most mom-vans. I have loved its versatility; it has been spacious enough inside for 2 kids and a dog on many 1,000-mile round trips. No problems, but last week stopped cold in the middle of a busy road. Two dealers haven't been able to isolate the problem, but we're getting a new (refurbished) $3,000 engine. Thought it was the coil, but replacing that didn't help. Now I don't trust that it won't do the same thing to me somewhere else! Really thought doing so much preventive maintenance would put us better off than this

ZOOM ZOOM is it lol YEAH BABY

MY2cents, 05/24/2002

well in one week i have added 1000 KM to my MAZDA MPV DX and i love the power, 200HP. LOVE the service i got from the dealer! quick and help full.

Impressed--Car-Like Feel in a MiniVan

dwc, 05/27/2002

Searched for well over a month, made final choice of MPV LX (Price, reliability trail, consumer interest/ratings, bang for the buck -- this Mini sells itself!) Would have liked a few of the options on the ES but not the leather ..Having said that, the LX is well equipped with Luxury package and Rear air .. neat feature is rear air controls. Very stable on the highway, handles like a car...tight suspension/steering.

Great Looking Ride

Caroline, 05/31/2002

I've had this vehicle about a month. It drives very well and handles much more like a car than a van. The van gets a lot of compliments for it's styling and the features. I bought the LX with the luxury and security packages, roof rack, cassette, and rear step bumper. Overall, it's a great, sporty mini-van.

I love my MPV, but...

Caroline, 01/12/2008

I've owned my 2002 MPV for almost 5.5 years now. In that time, I've have no problems with it at all. The only times it's been in the shop are for routine maintenance. But, 2 days ago, the transmission died on me while driving on a highway and here's the kicker - it only has 34,845 miles on it!

A Winner!

MPVer in Michigan, 06/02/2002

Did my research. Honda was our second choice, but the interier was too boring and the vehicle was bigger than we needed/wanted. The MPV was the perfect fit. Size and features are very nice and the price very competive. I didn't want a van, but now I love it!

My 1st mini-van and I like it

gakster, 06/05/2002

We have been pretty much anti-mini-van until we found out that 3rd kid is on the way. Test drove the Oddy, Sienna & Quest and the MPV. The MPV is the best handling and most maneuverable of the lot. Picked up a 2002 Silver LX, security pkg, rear a/c, roof rack and couldn't be happier. Really like the space and handling (for a mini-van).

Vehicle is over 7yrs old, with 166600

M. Kontny, 07/12/2009

I bought my Mazda MPV Mini Van in 2005 and now it has 166,000 miles on it. I have had no major problems with my van, the only draw back is that the vehicle is starting to show rust in certain areas. I live in Wisconsin and we had a pretty harsh winter last year so there was plenty of salt to do the damage it has done to my vehicle. Otherwise, it still runs like a charm, do regular maintenance on it, replace tires once now they need to be replaced again. Air conditioner isn't working, need to have that checked. Rear heat isn't functioning due to the fact that the piping that runs within the rear wheel well has rotted out. Will have to fix this also. But overall, I really like the Mini Van.

What a great VAN !

Gundam, 06/08/2002

Just bought one and fall in love in driving this VAN. You don't feel like driving a VAN, thanks Mazda designed something different, big sun roof, side window roll down, monster 9 speakers sound systems, it is just a great one. Bought a ES 02 White w/GFX package in May. Power door is really nice and quick, 17" rim are excellent, handling is good, very easy to park, and more .... believe me, if your family size is small (small for me is less than 6 people), get this one, don't get the bus ! You won't regret it. Zoom-zoom !

51050