Used 2002 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews

Used MPV for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...15

Pros
Cons

I Can't Complain

wiz8mom, 09/01/2012

We purchased our MPV used in 2005 with about 45,000 miles on it. With an extended warranty, we paid total about $11,000. It now has 227,000 miles on it (365,000km). We had to have the transmission replaced at 95K miles, but it was covered under our extended warranty. We had coils replaced at one point, and a couple of other repairs around the $300 mark. Regular oil changes and routine maintenance (brakes, trans. fluid, etc), this van has kept chugging along. Along with daily driving, we drove from Auburn, WA to B.C. Canada twice a week for 2 years (6 hours round trip), while hauling 2 drums, harnesses, 2 sets of bagpipes, and 4 teenagers, 2 adults. We averaged 22-24 hwy mpg

Used

rich, 03/27/2010

The car is awesome for me. The interior space with rear seats removed makes this van a winner hauling stuff, camping out or whatever. It's been a very dependable car with plenty of pep and it is really well balanced, even with a full load, the car drives the same!

Too many mechanical problems

Jim, 01/26/2010

The 3.0l engine and 5 speed gives the MPV a great drive. Fit and finish is good. But at 60,000 miles I have needed to replace ignition coils, have had numerous transmission problems and underside of the hood has rusted into swiss cheese. My MPV also seems to wreck rear tires, has a small coolant leak and the door locks don't work anymore. Exhaust fell apart at 40,000 miles. I expect to have problems with an older vehicle, but have never had problems like this with anything I've ever owned before. I love the car, but not as much as my mechanic.

A Good Pal

joe4prez, 12/02/2010

Bought our MPV new in 2002 and now have 82K miles. We've had a good experience with the van with very few issues. The only problems were replacing 3 coil packs at 65K miles and the fan module at 72K miles. Cost us about $500 for both. After 8 years the car is still solidly built, no electrical or mechanical issues, and no rusting. So far so good.

One of the worst

zzz, 12/04/2009

Shocked to see average consumer rating is 8.8. One if the worst ever owned. People must not own this vehicle for long, or drive it very much, otherwise how could you not have these persistent problems: coils, pcv hoses, fan control modules (all these have failed multiple times, some even after the recall work). Lesser frequent problem: tranny totally quit, front stabilizer links, control arms, wheel bearing, coolant reservoir cracked, intake bellow gone bad (too lean CEL), O2 sensor, catalytic converter below threshold, driver side window motor, flex pipe leak, rust everywhere. All these problems happened on an MPV bought new and religiously maintained.

Decent family van

Andrea, 02/13/2010

I've enjoyed the benefits of this smaller-sized van. Our family fills it, but it has met our needs. With wise packing and a rooftop carrier, we can carry whatever we need. Ours has about 115 k miles on it, and ran well until about a year ago. We have spent quite a bit of money on repairs recently, and the "check engine" light continues to indicate a problem. I think it is nearly time to replace it, but it has served us well.

Great used buy

bjones440, 05/12/2005

I purchased an '02 ES model used late in '03. This seemed like the best used buy if you are not too concerned with interior space, because it is smaller than most. Has the most bang for the buck for a highly rated import with power sliding doors. Drives and handles superb for a minivan. Seats seem a little narrow, but I got used to them. Unfortunately the ignition coil went out twice on different cylinders while under warranty, so the dealer replaced the coils and plugs on all 6 cylinders. That was in March '04, no other problems. Stock tires seem to wear quickly, as I noticed on most other used MPVs. I just replaced mine at 58k with Michelin Hydroedge. Very limited choice on this size tire.

Horror!

zpg, 08/08/2010

Premature and/or repeated problems: coils, pcv valve, fan control module, transmission, radiator, motor mounts, window motor, rust

Don't Buy It

02 Mazda Lx, 07/29/2010

We first saw the Mazda MPV at the 2001 LA Car Show. I fell in love with third row fold and sporty design. My wife and I have two boys and the car was perfect for our needs. Then the nightmare began. We have had the transmission flashed two times because of shift problems. The PCV pipe cracked and caused idle problems. The brake rotors went out of balance and shook the car like helicopter was above us. Now at 72K the transmission failed. Payed 1400 to replace it. 2 months later the radiator fluid has leaked into one of the transmission cooling lines and again the transmission misshifts. It is in the shop more than on the road. Save yourselves and do not buy this vehicle. I am trading mine in!

Be careful!!

Ian, 11/29/2008

Many, many problems! A lot of what I've already read - Ignition coils (all 6), sliding door - sticks and doesn't operate properly, and now the tranny - it's in the shop right now. I actually have filled almost 10 pages of a notebook because our experience has been so surreal. I even bought the extended Mazda Canada warranty, only to find out time and time again that nothing was covered.

12345...15