Used 2002 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used MPV for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Surprisingly Disappointed

Amy, 12/28/2005

Purchased my MPV 12/02 after my 2nd child was born for easier entry & exit than my Jeep Cherokee, and more passenger room. After much research on minivans, I decided I wanted (but could not afford) a Honda Odyssey. The MPV ran a close 2nd. The first year of owning it was good. Things went down hill after that. The Dunlop tires that came on it were bald after less than 28K miles. It's been in for mechanical repairs & recalls more than any other vehicle I've ever owned (Chevy, Ford, Jeep). It's in now for another $400-500 repair after I just replaced the tires. After 3 years of ownership, I'm sad to say, it has not been as reliable as I thought it would. Style & comfort good. Reliability, not good.

Great value and fun to drive

Jeff Linihan, 01/01/2006

When we finally decided that we needed a minivan we decided to purchase a MPV. We had a positive rental experience with the Mazda on a trip to DC. My wife loves the size. I like the way it drives. Not to mention that we paid less than $21k for a LX with rear air, 6 disc changer and roof rack. We have put 70k miles on the van and we bought it new 4/02. The only trips to the dealer was for the check engine light (wife left the gas cap off). No transmission problems here. We have taken the MPV on several 8 to 11 hour trips to the beach with all of our gear with no complaints about comfort. We are currently kicking around the idea of buying another MPV from the same dealer this spring.

Could use some fine tuning

JZA_459, 01/07/2006

We have had the van for about 9 months now with no real issues. I was looking more for an SUV but my wife fell in love with the roll down rear passenger windows, and power opening rear passenger doors. Also, it was easy enough to get the overhead DVD system in even with the large moonroof.

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned.

R. Mosley, 02/14/2004

In 2002 it was time to trade in the Aerostar. We drove every model of minivan on the market and never considered this one until I got a recommendation from a relative. The biggest selling point: The fold down in the floor rear seat. At the time only Honda had this feature. The arrogance of Honda dealers turned us off. Our Mazda if a high quality vehicle with excellent overall performance. I would definitely recommend this van over any other models. Good fit and finish and ergonomics.

Fun but Unreliable

Zach, 04/07/2006

Lack of reliability has been the biggest disappointment with this vehicle. Tires were bald before the warranty expired. Within a year after warranty expired, oxygen sensors had to be replaced ($500) and engine coils had to be replaced (another $500). My sister-in-law has the exact same make/model/year, and she's had the same problems--it's like clockwork. It also emits a stinky sulfur smell immediately after turning off. At least it's purty and comfy and fun to drive.

Sportscar of Minivans

Eileen Gallagher, 04/11/2006

Have been driving this great little minivan for the last 2.5 yrs. Excellent for kids, roadtrips, hauling stuff. Drives beautifully: smooth, good pick-up (even on steep mountain passes), nice ride, and really can corner on those curves. Plenty of room for 6'4" son and many more. Very dependable mechanically, no big repair disasters like other vehicles I have owned. Probably the nicest car I've ever had.

I'll miss my MPV

Monique68, 03/27/2004

My MPV was a great van. Alas, I have decided to trade it in for a Mazda Tribute. But, for the two years I had the MPV, it was great. I only decided to trade it in to get lower monthly payments. I knew sticking to a Mazda would be a good deal.

02 Mazda MPV LX with GFX Package

Amy, 08/22/2006

I did extensive research before purchasing my MPV and found the MPV to be the best price with the most standard and unique features. At the time, Odyssey was the only other minivan with tumble flat rear seats, and the MPV had the unique feature of rolldown rear windows. I liked the look (very sporty) and the motto ("body of a minivan, soul of a sports car"). I still love all these things, but have been disappointed with the reliability. I have it serviced regularly at my local dealer, yet it has been in the shop for repairs at least 6 times since I bought it. 3 weeks ago, it left me stranded with my 2 small children in the car. It's also been in for 2 recalls and my tires wore out at 28k miles.

Good Value for a Minivan

wordslug, 06/26/2004

First, the bad news. We had to completely replace the auto transmission within the first year of ownership. Otherwise, this has been a great vehicle for our family of 5. Looks good, drives well, has nice features like sliding middle seat, windows that open, folding rear bench. The size is about right, and the driving experience is car-like.

The Best Mini-Van - It's a 10!

Perry, 03/04/2002

This is my 2nd MPV in one year! The 1st one was T-boned at 50+ mph on th passenger side where my daughter was sitting. The vehicle that hit us was a Toyota Pickup that had to be towed away. The MPV drove away with all my passengers (4 plus myself alive and well)! This vehicle is the best handing, best braking, best use of space I have seen, plus saved by daughters life. I have looked and driven the others and the MPV feels like I am in a well built car not a Van. Both my wife and I love it.

MPV

Toomach, 09/11/2004

The MPV is a fun car with reasonable performance, acceptable gas mileage, plenty of stowage space, handles better than many cars and has good safety. Most of the benefits of an SUV without most of the drawbacks. We bought it to travel in. The car comfort with plenty of room makes it ideal for us.

Mazda MPV

indricothere, 10/22/2004

I bought an 02 MPV and I thouroughly love it. Very nice styling,it is just the right size for kids. It drives and feels like a car, and is much more responsive than dodge,ford, chevrolet. It also is a good used deal, not as expensive as the pricier Honda, and Toyota with comparible options. The optional sliding doors have been perfect and very convient. The ES is nice with leather. I was most impressed with the second row seating options. I never thought I would enjoy a minvan however, I love this one.

FUN to drive but at a cost

jamesandlisa, 10/21/2004

Purchased fully loaded and with ground effects package. True to the advertising, the MPV is FUN to drive with quick acceleration and excellent cornering. Plus, for a mini-van this just looks great! Great compromise between sporty car and mini-van. Drinks A LOT of fuel but I knew that beforehand based on MPG ratings. Smaller size makes it easy to park and u-turn; however, interior gets tight very quickly for people over 5'10" tall! Definitely NOT roomy.. especially if add a baby seat. Overall, I would definitely buy it again!

A fan of the 2002 MPV!

KT in VBVA, 03/12/2003

I thoroughly enjoy my 2002 MPV LX. We were on our way to purchase a 2002 Camry XLE(we have a 2000 and sold our 1994 Camry) and passed the Mazda dealership. I had read the consumer reviews on the MPV and wanted to check it out for myself. Though our salesman was definitely lackluster, I was truly impressed with what Mazda had to offer...so impressed that I was swayed to buy the MPV- it gave me room for more passengers(it can be a tight squeeze in the last row of seats, but it beats taking separate cars) and the nimbleness of a car. The body is stylish and sharp-the exterior lighting package adds a sporty look. I don't feel like I'm driving a van at all.

2002 MPV is OK

Nigel Chubb, 06/16/2005

Has been reliable and fun to drive. The five speed transmission sometimes bangs audibly between 1->2 and 2->3, especially after braking and then accelerating. I'm worried about what this might mean we keep it past the warranty period. The rotors went at 18,000 km but replaced under warranty. The Dunlop tires it came with wore out way too fast - before 48,000 km for the first set and the second set almost done at 56,000 km now. Dealership would not compensate, Dunlop would not answer my emails to discuss. Otherwise service very good at Mazda dealers - due to job changes and moves I've used three different ones regularly.

Much More Than I Expected

LoveMyMPV, 07/03/2005

I started out loathing all mom-mobile minivans but this Mazda MPV ES has changed all that. Quick, nimble, comfortable and economical (29-30mpg @ 60mph), I don't really miss my Mercedes. The ES model is comfortable to drive on long trips and the upscale radio pulls in more stations than my Mercedes ever did. The power sliding doors and fold-under 3rd seat are extremely convenient, as are the slide-together 2nd row seats (make them a single bench or 2 buckets). There's always enough power on tap, especially off the line, and passing power seems more than adequate. It's size makes it ideal for fitting in a garage with room to spare. All-in-all, I'd buy it again.

I like it

2002maazda mpv ex, 01/13/2006

I like the handling, acceleration, and comfort of my Mazda van.

We like our 2002 MPV

Don, 04/28/2006

We bought this car for unusual reasons: it would fit in our garage (was shorter than most minivans), a 6 footer could fully lay out on the floor in back of the first row seats, and the mileage rating was pretty good. It has more than met our needs, and we regularly get 21-22 mpg at 70-80 mph on trips, and not too much less in city driving.

Not real happy with it

Derrick Petree, 09/02/2006

We should had gone with the Honda. At first it was a great van. Then we had an overheating problem. That had it in the shop 5 times. We had to take it back 3 times for the same recall. Then at 60,578 the transmission went out. Just after the warranty went out. Dealer won't fix because we 578 over on miles. Cost us $2400 to fix. Poor gas mileage about 18 hwy, 15 city.

My Unreliable Mazda

Joe, 09/23/2006

This vehicle has given us nothing but problems. We have 47,000 miles and the warranty is out. Repairs: we have already had the transmission replaced (we do not own a boat or tow anything except the 2 kids). It took the dealership 3 weeks to get a new transmission because they were on backorder. Mazda paid 1 week on the rental but I was responsible and out of pocket for 2 weeks. The power sliding doors don't work and the dealership can't figure out the problem or take responsibility. The electronic coil on valve #3 went out and Mazda would do nothing to back up the product (cost $500 to replace coils on valve #1, 3, and 5). This was my 3rd Mazda product and now is my LAST.

Wouldn't be without my Zoom Zoom

Dwadon, 09/24/2006

Awesome van. Owned a Chevy Montana prior to my MPV and have never looked back. Have 2 teens & 2 dogs and this van suits us just fine - gas mileage reasonable as well.

I Like This Van

Mkranbuhl, 04/04/2003

Good ride. Good gas mileage. A comfortable ride and easy to drive. This is a smaller minivan and handles very well. The only downside to this van is that it does not hold its value very well.

Why did I buy this van?

Mad Driver, 07/13/2007

I have no idea why I bought this van. I think I fell for the tricks: fold down 3rd seat, removable 2nd row, roll down windows for the middle with both doors sliding. Back then, those were all new and some still haven't taken them on. But things went bad fast. I started having problems, but sadly let them sit til the warranty went, and then it all got way worse. Granted I drive a lot, but things were worse than imaginable, the brakes went bad in half the time they should have, the tires needed replaced an average of 20,000 miles earlier, and you can't do any engine maintenance yourself. Expensive parts, too.

Best Minivan ever!

CA_Dreaming, 05/01/2003

I've owned a Honda and a Dodge minivan and they just aren't as nice. The MPV is the anti-minivan minivan! It's fast, it handles well, it's quiet and comfortable. No rattles! (The Dodge felt and sounded like you were leaving a trail of nuts and bolts as you motored down the highway!) The Honda was nice, but it was always having little stuff go wrong... unusual for Honda I'm told, but that's what I experienced.

My wife likes it

hbtexan, 03/08/2002

I think Mazda has nailed the minivan design with this product. My wife and I debated an SUV (#1 contender was the 2001 Explorer for value, #2 was the Toyota Highlander but it was too expensive) vs. minivan. We test drove 2 Ody's and were very unimpressed w/ them (this was a shock after all of the internet research). To make a long story short my wife thinks the MPV is VERY COOL, in the end for us this was the MPV's strongest feature.

Bigger not better for us

bborgerson, 04/16/2003

Like many other happy MPV buyer, we looked at the Odyssey first and decided to look around some more. Nice, but nobody wanted to deal. So we shopped. Glad we did. We're a family of four and don't really need the extra space in the Ody, which isn't all that much. Haven't found anything yet that we couldn't carry in the MPV. Took a a full load of fifth graders on a 4-hour (round trip) field trip drive with no complaints. And, hey, it's fun to drive!

SUV? What is that?

Denny, 04/23/2003

We bought our MPV last October after transporting a family of four around in a sedan and then a grand cherokee there is absolutely no comparison. No wonder minivans are so popular. Acceleration onto the highway is a rush. Handling and visibility are impeccable. The kids love the windows that roll down in the back and the option of side-by- slide depending on who is sitting next to them in the second row. And don't forget the fun option of flipping up the back hatch, flipping over the back seat and watching the kids games comfortably in your third row seat as you face the field. SUV vs. MPV? MPV wins hands-down.

Not bad for a minivan

khealy, 01/29/2003

I don't really like minivans but I need to keep all of my toys out of the weather and away from thieves (skis, bikes, etc.). I was attracted to the MPV for its small size, adequate engine, 5-sp transmission and handling. I have't been disappointed with any of these features. The engine/trans work very well, even on high mountain passes. The handling is better than I have ever experienced in a minivan on twisty mtn roads. It's as fun as a minivan can get! Fuel economy is ranging from 20-23 mpg with most of my driving in suburbs and mountains. Much better than any of the SUVs I looked at.

MPV - Muti Purpose Vehicle

v946916, 01/08/2003

I did not think I would like a Mini-Van. I love the MPV, If you take a long trip and need more room - fold the third seat in the floor. When you arrive and you now need seating for 7, up comes the seat. Its so easy my 7 year old can do it. A great ride - great vehicle. Test drove and rented serval vans prior to purchase.

good van, lousy factory tires

zippy, 01/15/2003

It's a great van. Fuel efficiency could be better. After 20k miles, it's still very solid. Factory Dunlop tires are crap. Coolant reservoir seems to overflow a bit since new. Easy to maintain (mainly fluid changes).

Not your Mama's Mini-Van

TrueBeliever, 03/10/2002

This is the mini-van for you if you're looking for space but don't want to sacrifice sportiness. It's fun to drive and extremely comfortable. Handling is more car-like than you can imagine. It's loaded with convenient features. Mazda scored a BIG hit with this MPV. I highly recommend a test drive.

good van, lousy factory tires

zzz, 01/15/2003

Great & Sporty

ms_pink, 07/08/2003

I love my van, what can I say others havn't. Just got back from a trip cross country, great gas mileage, 391.7 was the farthest I ever took it. Very satisifed Customer, want to upgrade to sunroof and fog lights. I will be a repeat buyer.

New to the minivan

prlamz, 03/17/2002

We now have 600 miles on our new MPV and feel very good about our choice so far. We had planned on buying an Odyssey but, luckily, did not find one in time. We were a little anxious to drive a behemoth. The MPV feels like a car. It takes less place in our garage than the Volvo station wagon it replaces. The power of the engines makes us long for a manual transmission.

Disappointing Mazda

Donna Roque, 03/27/2008

My husband and I purchased this minivan used with 40,000 miles on it. It was our first mini van. It is fully loaded with all the features we wanted. The first year was fine with no problems. Since the summer of 2007 we have been to the dealership (not where we purchased it) at least 6 times or more for repairs. We have 2 kids and having to go back and forth for repairs is a real inconvenience. Our main problems have been faulty ignition coils, idle control valve and an oil pan seal gasket. Lucky for us we purchased an extended warranty which has covered about two thirds of our costs thus far. This is the first vehicle that we have ever owned that has given us this much trouble.

Zoom, Zoom

psc, 03/26/2002

Test drove, plan to buy in summer. New engine is wonderful addition to already well concieved design. The right size for parking, carrying stuff and exploring. With or without the kids.

consider MPV it's a 9.9 for us!

matluoma, 03/29/2002

excellent van & worth it! don't just take my word for it - you should consider this van. no concerns about power & torque. (hp to weight ratio is awesome - so don't just compare hp to hp...0

For a niche buyer

sugoiya, 03/29/2002

I bought this car out of pure necessity. I couldn't wedge anything bigger into the underground parking stall for our condo. The new 300hp V6 gives it a surprising zip when passing or driving on hills, and the smaller wheel base provides excellent maneuverability on our narrow city roads. The folding 3rd row seat was also an important feature to me since I don't have a garage. The trade off for the MPV's small size comes at the expense of passenger comfort, especially for the poor souls sitting in the third row. Definitely unsuitable for long commutes.

Our favorite van

Bobaran, 04/01/2002

We looked for over a year researching and driving vans, basically waiting for the right deal to come around. If price was not a consideration we would have gone with the Mazda. It just so happened that we got 0% and dealer invoice so we got our dream van, no settling for a Caravan.

My Silver Bullet is a great vehicle.

R. F. Peterson, 09/16/2018
LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

It needs 0-2 censors replaced and a tune up. The rear air conditioner needs to be re-connected. It has new shocks, new brakes a new radiator and a new water pump. The radiator and water heater were replaced after someone hit the back bumper of the van and pushed it into a pole in a parking space . It is still very dependable and has only failed me twice in all the years I've owned it. I need a smaller vehicle as I no longer care for 5 grandkids....otherwise I would NEVER sell it.

Dependable van, thanks Mazda!

owner, 05/18/2019
LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great van, First owner ,181k miles with original transmission with no issues, transmission fluid complete replaced by dealer at 80k, no fluid leaks, removable rears seats fold flat bench seat, you can sleep in this van without the rear seats, good gas mileage, replaced 3 rear ignition coils at 65k, replaced fuel pressure sensor at 120k, replaced coolant sensor @ 90k . The rest were normal wear and tear maintenance issues. I do the regular oil change myself with premium synthetic oil ever since.

51050