Used 2002 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used MPV for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Buyer Beware of Mazda

turpster, 08/30/2009

I have owned 2 Mazdas and probably will not again. Neither were vere good. The MPV at 35,000mi. needed the transmission flushed which was not a Mazda recommended service. The Mazda rep said even though the flush wasn't listed in the manual they recommended it be done or the warranty would be voided. 50,000mi. PCV hose replaced under warranty. The vehicle had always seemed not to run smoothly before and after hose replacement. The transmission is a myriad of issues in how it operates and its quirks. The final was the new hose failing again and something else causing the motor to run very rough and at half power. At "68,900mi." we clunkered it for a Honda. How about that for value retention?

$500.00+ for 6 spark plugs/tune up

no more mazdas 4me, 09/08/2009

Transmission went out at 50,100 miles during my stay in Dallas after evacuating hurricane katrina. Mazda paid about 45%. I have no boat, have not pulled anything, just three small kids then. The coil packs that replaced the spark plug wires are terrible. If you have a problem with any of the back 3 cylinders bend over!!! Tires seem to wear very fast, though evenly, on the potholes of New Orleans streets. I see I am not alone with these problems.

Good value

Nick072261, 10/25/2009

My wife & I purchased this mini-van with 12,000 and we now have 66,000 miles on this vehicle. Initial problems included the Shift Solenoid for the transmission, oil gasket and seals around timing chain case cover were replaced and a noise with the fan was fixed. All work was covered under the warranty. We have put on 40,000 miles since our problems without any other issues. The car has a V6 dohc Ford American made engine that was used in the Taurus. Funny thing is our problems were all related to the Japanese parts - go figure! Anyway, I would consider buying another if they were still being made. We plan to keep this car until it dies (hopefully not anytime soon)!

Very Surprised!!!

tgaines14, 06/20/2002

I must say that I am one of those guys who said that he would never own a minivan. Well, three kids later, and there's just not much that I could do about it. I researched the minivan market for quite some time, and ultimately chose this van. I have been very surprised with it. It has definitely exceeded all of my expectations. It is simply a great vehicle to drive.

So far, so good

BacktoMinivan, 06/24/2002

Coming from a fully loaded V8 Explorer, I am missing some nice little features like puddle lamps, auto on/off lights, and, strangely, door lock button on passenger side. But overall, I'm happy. Didn't want a minivan but this is a good compromise if you need one. Size-wise, it drives about the same as the Explorer, except without the bumpiness. I don't notice the power loss coming from a V8 too much. The air conditioner is already making a rattling noise, so I'm hoping that turns out okay.

AWSOME !!

MIKE JONES, 07/08/2002

Great van to drive

My New MPV

lphillips, 07/12/2002

I went from an Audi A4 to a loaded MPV. So far I'm happy. Vehicle handles great and has a very versatile interior. So far, the dealer has been great.Since IO've only had the MPV about a month, I will report again in 6 months to see if I am still happy.Looked at the Odyssey. It was too big and the dealers too greedy.

From M3 to Minivan

typhoon, 07/12/2002

Sold the M3 for a Forester for a minivan. Test drove the Honda, and it was 2nd best - the handling wasn't as good. The extra size of the Honda wasn't appealing to a family of 3. Regarding the 3yr/30K warranty, "Honda doesn't need a good warranty to sell it" was the dealer response. Laughable. Here's our take so far on the MPV. Handling is excellent. AC is excellent. The stereo is also very good. There is NO rotten egg smell (they must have fixed that. You can feel the bumps (reminds me of the M3), but more so in the back (where I never am!). Liked the 3rd row conversion options. The engine power is OK (we tow a sailboat).

zooming around

zoomingaround, 07/13/2002

Test drove 6 vans on the market and the Mazda won hands down. My wife didn't want a van but we needed it for the family. Bought the ES model with a sunroof, it is one of her favorite vehicals she has ever owned. Everytime we drive it she says "I love this van". It is roomy for seven, rides great, has better handling that any other van we tested, and the best value. After the dealer price and rebates we got this van with tons of features plus leather interior, duel sliding doors, sunroof, and great performance for the same price as the base price Honda. Anyone needing a van needs to seriously look at the Mazda.

A senior's opinion of MPV

fredsw, 07/18/2002

I have renamed my MPV. It is now a "Mature People Vehicle". So far it has been very user friendly for us. We are senior citizens and when we started looking for a new car it became obvious that it would serve so many uses for us. It is quick, comfortable,fun to drive(I am past the sport car period), tight and easy to enter and exit. It is plush enough and has as many features as a luxury car, but handles chores with ease.Mine is a 2002 ES with almost all options.The gas mileage could be better, but it stays within EPA range.The climate control is very effective, considering our heat this summer. It can freeze you out!

MPV AN MVP

RON JOHNSON, 07/22/2002

GREAT VAN FEELS LIKE A SPORTS CAR HANDLES GREAT AND PERFORMS WONDERFULLY

Family Zoom Zoom ?

Needed Room, 07/24/2002

This was the 1st minivan we have purchased. It came down to this or the Honda. Didn't need as much room as the Honda had, so didn't warrant the price difference. Really like the more car like ride than the bigger vans, doesn't feel nearly as clumsy, easier to park. the 3.0L goes just fine and the 5 speed AT is very nice. My wife is the primary driver of the MPV and she gave up her 200 Diamante, which ran like a scalded cat, for the room. She doesn't buy that Zoom Zoom tag, still needs to realize it is a VAN!

Zoom Zoom Van

wvictory, 08/02/2002

1st van we ever owned. Other rides are a Saab Aero and a Land Rover. MPV is fun and sporty enough for everyday use. Love the car-like handling and it has enough power to make the driving fun. Sun roof and working back windows are a plus.

New Mazda MPV Owner

GeO, 08/19/2002

Test drove Honda's Odyssey, and Chyr Town&Country found for the price the MPV was a better buy. The new 3.0L V6 has enough ZOOM for the smaller sized MPV. The handling is great for a van, drives like a car. Would like to see a AWD model in the near future. Felt the Odyssey wasn't all that for the money they wanted, and the time it took to get one. Also the chyr though more on the luxurious side was way over priced.

Great Buy

Iain, 08/23/2002

After agonizing over which van to buy for weeks,it finally came down to the Honda or the Mazda. However the waiting list for a Honda and not being able to test drive it turned me off.Mazda with its 0% financing was a great insentive.I am not in the least bit sorry in my decision. The ride is as good as must cars and the handling is out of this world.It is tight with good exceleration.Having formerly owned a Chey Venture the MPV seems like a luxury car.None of those annoying little problems and noises that always seem to have the Venture in the shop all the time.To me it was a great buy for the price,

Zoom Zoom

rc168, 08/24/2002

We had our mind set on Sienna for months because I have driven nothing but Toyota. It only took one recent ride in my friend's MPV though to change my mind. We also had an excellent experience at the dealership--something we were not getter at the Toyota dealerships we visited. No, bigger is not better, better is better.

One Mom's Opinion

Mom Hickson, 09/04/2002

I researched this van for 2 years. Was very pleased that Mazda up'd the engine to a 3.0, for the power. Have owned it for 1 week. It is so fun to drive and holds plenty of kids. Interior is very versatile. A/C in front is great. Kids are complaining somewhat about the rear A/C. They can't feel it unless it's up to the max setting. Gear stick is too long, but getting used to it. To bad the base van doesn't come with the cassette and cd combo. Ultimatly, I love it! It has all the conveniences of the Honda Odyssey, but not the price tag.

cool van

AZ driver, 09/24/2002

Needed more room and versatility. Tried the Sienna but was unimpressed for the price. MPV met our needs and with cash back incentive, we got a lot for our money. Dealership was very easy to deal with during purchase. Have only had for 2 weeks, so can't really comment on reliability. Could use more storage bins (lose one in back due to addit'l speakers in ES). Could also use a place to put jumper cables etc...without having to remove when reconfiguring back seat (Honda has a little recessed area to put these items w/net).

Zoom Zoom in this sporty mini-van

Turp, 10/15/2002

We never considered a mini-van before. We were headed for a mini-SUV but got side tracked on mini-vans. This van is sporty . It is well designed and with alot of bang for the buck. It rides and handles great on a suspension that is sure and sporty while quietly soaking up the bumps. The engine is very quiet has very good power and torque. The interior has ample room and is nicely flexable. With this on the market why consider a 2WD suv.

30 Day Report

glideslopes, 11/02/2002

Well, I wanted to wait 30 days before posting my review. We just love our MPV. We had a Quest prior to this. The size was nice for us. We did consider going larger to the Ody, but the price of the MPV was simply a much better value for us. It is extremely well engineered, built, and uses high quality materials throughout. We did not feel there were any quality advatages to the Ody, and resale is not a huge issue to us as we keep our vans 6 years and put around 150,000 on them. We were fortunate that we found a vehicle meeting our needs on the lot. The DW and I actually attempt to out maneuver each other these days to see who takes the MPV on an event.

First time Mazda owner

Grossman, 11/05/2002

I like the handling and ride; Overall looks both interior and exterior; impressed with interior room. Power is more than adequate - gets up and goes. Does have wind noise which (I think) is attributed to luggage rack. More wind noise when sun roof open but tolerable.

MPV

jjdsng, 02/09/2008

Good fun and dependable with lots of features and great family use, and lots of fun driving it

A nonminivan lover's minvan

marylizus, 04/22/2002

I really wanted a large station wagon, but no one makes those anymore. The MPV comes the closest to what we wanted. I LOVE the MPV..and we have a pretty stripped down LX model. Fun to drive, too.

Makes the transition to a mini-van easy!

indykoch, 07/02/2002

I had a Protege in high school, a Miata STO before the child, and now an MPV - Mazda has treated me good! I never thought I'd own a mini-van, but the wife obviously had more input. I must say I'm quite impressed! This is easily the best looking, best engineered, fun to drive (I know, it's still a mini-van) van on the market. It's a bit on the small side at times, but that was one of it's attractive features, and we knew it from the start. It makes the transition from sports cars to mini-vans easier to digest. By far... the best choice!

Love the van

CheapDad, 10/03/2002

Decided on this van after looking at a myriad of SUVs and minivans. Didn't have a boat to tow, live in the snowbelt or go offroad so an SUV wasn't necessary (plus the center consoles cut down on my legroom). Liked the compact size of the MPV, drives like a car. High enough off the road for good visibility and no need to bend over to put kids in carseats. More than enough power. Power sliding doors are a lifesaver with little children. Great price in comparison to Odyssey (many incentives and prices near invoice to boot). Go buy this van, you will love it.

Best stuff at the Best Rate

DavyD, 07/31/2002

We bought our Mazda two weeks ago. It is the best. I saw nearly 3 Mazda MPVs in my block. Every evening, I really want to drive in it. My mom told me that it feels like flying in an airplane. It is extremely luxurious.

getting old, bought a mini-van.

dadof2, 06/02/2002

Had planned on buying a Nissan "Quest" GLE, but the MPV ES blew it out of the water in all aspects except for the onboard entertainment system. Have been a loyal Nissan owner with (2) Pathfinder SE's and a "Hardbody" P/U, but the MPV has changed all that.

This is a Great Van

mando, 04/17/2002

I love this van. I've had a 94 Villager for 8 years and this is a big improvement. It's so much fun to drive. It's smooth, quiet, has plenty of power, handles very nimbly, and I'm getting good gas mileage. The 9 speaker stereo system is terrific. It's a smaller van and I don't need to carry 7 people most of the time, but the very flexible space is useful for big items or for stretching out on long trips.

Bets minivan for small family.

ska, 10/11/2002

Recently we were belssed with a daughter and I had to change my coupe to some bigger vehicle. I tried lots of SUV/minivans and at last narrowed down to Odyssey, Pilot, MDX and MPV. First we thought that we will settle for SUV (looks good from outside), but once inside, we loved the interior of minivans (Odyssey EX-L and MPV ES), space was much better used and we have lots of flexibility in seating. Anyway now it was Odyssey and MPV. Both were nice, but we decided for MPV based on: Perfect size for us. Exterior is much micer looking. Interior is comparable to Odyssey. Driving/handling was comparable to Odyssey. AND we got it $7000 cheaper than Odyssey.

Sulfur Smell!!

SID, 11/13/2002

A nice design but Mazda has a serious problem with alot of MPVs having a TERRIBLE sulfur smell. My dealer and Mazda headquarters are not at all helpful. Buy a Honda, Toyota and you will be happier.

Love This Van!!!

Love This Van, 11/14/2002

Just sold my Windstar with 42K miles. Bought an 02 Mazda after much research. I totally love this van! It's awesome! Most stylish design on the road by far. Tumble down seat and back "well" with cargo net is so handy! Beats my Windstar for keeping things controlled in the back. I sit up higher, the engine is quiet and smooth. Drives so pleasantly and is so easy to park and manuver. Much, much like a car. Dealership very willing to deal, walked out with a SWEET deal including a factory-installed DVD!Hope my feelings haven't changed in a year! Don't be afraid of this van-it's a definate winner.

Great for our needs

ZoMan, 11/15/2002

We recently purchased a 2002 ES with leather, cd changer, tinted windows, roof rack, compass, and DVD system. We have put almost 2,500 miles on it so far, the wife and I and our 3 dogs love it.

Zoom, zoom, zoom

B. Foster, Jr., 12/05/2002

Mazda has finally gotten it right. Don't get me wrong, if you want a big minivan, the MPV is not for you. But, if you want a reliable, fun-to-drive minivan with average room for a family of four+, then the MPV is for you. You can't beat the size, price, and value. Also, Zoom-zoom!!

The Right Choice

Zoom Zoom in NJ, 12/17/2002

This is our first minivan. (LX w/luxury, GFX, security and entertainment packages) With two toddlers, the Camry was way too small. We looked at the Odyssey- but the dealers refused to negotiate- and the Sienna didn't have the third row flat seats. We also felt that we didn't need the huge mom-mobile yet. I also hate the exterior look of both the Sienna and Odyssey. The MPV is just the right size w/room to grow. The manuverability is excellent. It feels like I'm driving a sports car (the advertisements were right about that one). The exterior is also really sporty. My husband and I actually take turns driving.

Mazda scores a Grand Slam

MPVguy, 03/01/2002

This is the best van out there for the money when all the issues are factored... as long as you don't *have* to have a large van, which the MPV isn't. Best handling, best accelerating, best looking, imho.

The best small minivan out there!

Saxoplay, 12/27/2002

This is my 2nd MPV....first one was a 2000 model. I liked it a lot....my only complaint was the lack of power. So upon reading that the 2002 models would have a 3.0L engine, I decided to upgrade. The extra power and the powered sliding doors (I have small children how don't like closing doors when dropped off at school) were worth the upgrade.

Not bad at all.....

Anthony, 01/26/2003

Very nice van....Its well designed with a nice 200hp. engine. I got the ES model fully equipped.

It's great, don't hesitate

Kevin in Seattle, 01/29/2003

Have owned many cars and vans. Mazda might not be first brand to think of, but should be. Fold down seat (like Odyssey), styling, comfort (I'm 6/3"), handling, RELIABILITY, not a single issue with any feature or accessory. I just added after market DVD player for kids. Fully loaded with all upgrades this is thousands less than competition. A great buy.

2002 MPV Anti-Mini-Van

sunra, 03/03/2002

With the addition of the 3.0 liter 200 ft-lb 200 HP 5 speed drive train Mazda has effectively resolved the power versus performance concerns associated with the 2000-2001 models. Passing at highway speeds and performance on steep terrains is excellent. Handling is crisp and nimble. Call this the anti-mini-van.

Great Van

namber, 06/12/2003

I have had one for a year and love it. It is fun to drive and very economical. It is much better quality than our previous Caravans and vastly superior to the Cherokee we unloaded.

Great Van (desert sand w/GFX)

MPV Owner, 09/05/2003

Our previous van was a '93 Quest GXE so I am very comfortable with the size of the MPV. The power is excellent (climbing mountains is a breeze. I love the vehicle: great looks, size, handling, power and features. Hate the shift lever. The blower for the rear air could be stronger but if cools nicely (but a little slowly). I would recommend this vehicle to anyone. We wanted a 2003, but they dumped the luxury package but we were able to find an '02 with the luxury and GFX packages. The GFX package makes a huge difference in the appearance.

Excellent van so far.

mayday2, 09/16/2003

We didn't want a huge van, so we tried the MPV. It has many of the same features as the Odyssey, but smaller and less cost. We have take a couple of trips and driven it around town, and it has performed very well so far. It also handles nice for a mini-van, and the interior feels bigger than it looks.

Love our MPV

whatever 2549, 08/10/2003

We bought this vehicle due to it's smaller size than the other mini- vans. Seating 6 comfortably with a fold down 3rd row seat served our family of 4 perfectly. The V6 motor is peppy and doesn't get bogged down under heavy loads. Drives great in the city and highway. I can sit in the seats for extended hours with no pain from my arthritic back. We've had no problems with the vehicle since we drove it off the lot.

zoom zoom zoom back to the service dept.

bamaengineer, 09/18/2003

I have been disappointed by the performance of the 02 MPV so far. To start with, I have been in for warranted repairs three times with only 20k miles: Idler problem, Check engine light, and rattling sliding doors. They still haven't fixed the sliding doors. The style and handling are great, but I hate to think what will happen when the warranty is over.

Good for Us

Paul E Oakes, 12/02/2003

This is the right size for us. We appreciate the roominess and versatility of this size vehicle. We enjoyed '95 and '98 Honda Odyssey but Odysseys got too large. Glad Mazda was there with this size van.

Noldan's review

C Noldan, 12/04/2003

Mazda's 2002MPV has been a real joy to own. I have never driven a more comfortable (seating) car. It handles as well as or better than any car I have owned. Because of my husband's handicap, I purchased this vehicle (the way the rear seat drops down into the rear well) to store his wheelchair. I certainly will purchase a Mazda the next time around.

A Van That Feels Like a Car

marc9595, 12/16/2003

We bought an MPV in 2001. In 2002, we were in an accident and the van was totaled. Nobody was hurt. Because of its safety record and our pleasurable driving experience with the MPV, we replace the totaled MPV w/ a 2002 MPV. We have almost 30,000 miles on the van and have had no difficulties with it at all. Gas mileage has ranged from 18 around town to as high as 29 on the highway. The MPV is a bit smaller than most vans, but I would recommend it if you have a smaller family. It probably wouldn't be as useful to us if we had for teenagers for example.

Great car

Peter, 08/25/2005

It's a great choice for people who are looking for a small minivan. Definitely many notches more practical than most SUVs. Use it to transport people & large items. Fuel economy is pretty good.

MPV: Makes the Most Sense

BRANDON CHASE, 08/29/2005

I purchased my MPV nearly a year ago and have not been disappointed in any way. Whenever I see shoppers at home improvement stores trying to stuff items into SUVS that would easily fit in my MPV, I load up a ROOM of furniture just for kicks. Whenever I am able to park in grass by climbing over curbs when others can't find a parking spot, I pat myself on the back. Whenever I switch on my theater-quality 10-speaker (including subwoofer) 6-CD sound system, I dance. Whenever I crank up the AC on a hot summer day or roll down the REAR windows for the kids, I sneer at the sad offspring in the backseats of other minivans who can't roll down theirs. In short, my MPV makes me feel very good.

excelllent but hopeful

MainelyMazda, 01/25/2004

This has been a GREAT vehicle so far. We love the versatility of a minivan that drives like a car. With two kids starting sports, we needed more room than our wagon could offer.

51050