Used 2002 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews

Used MPV for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...29

Pros
Cons

Decent family van

Andrea, 02/13/2010

I've enjoyed the benefits of this smaller-sized van. Our family fills it, but it has met our needs. With wise packing and a rooftop carrier, we can carry whatever we need. Ours has about 115 k miles on it, and ran well until about a year ago. We have spent quite a bit of money on repairs recently, and the "check engine" light continues to indicate a problem. I think it is nearly time to replace it, but it has served us well.

Great used buy

bjones440, 05/12/2005

I purchased an '02 ES model used late in '03. This seemed like the best used buy if you are not too concerned with interior space, because it is smaller than most. Has the most bang for the buck for a highly rated import with power sliding doors. Drives and handles superb for a minivan. Seats seem a little narrow, but I got used to them. Unfortunately the ignition coil went out twice on different cylinders while under warranty, so the dealer replaced the coils and plugs on all 6 cylinders. That was in March '04, no other problems. Stock tires seem to wear quickly, as I noticed on most other used MPVs. I just replaced mine at 58k with Michelin Hydroedge. Very limited choice on this size tire.

Horror!

zpg, 08/08/2010

Premature and/or repeated problems: coils, pcv valve, fan control module, transmission, radiator, motor mounts, window motor, rust

Don't Buy It

02 Mazda Lx, 07/29/2010

We first saw the Mazda MPV at the 2001 LA Car Show. I fell in love with third row fold and sporty design. My wife and I have two boys and the car was perfect for our needs. Then the nightmare began. We have had the transmission flashed two times because of shift problems. The PCV pipe cracked and caused idle problems. The brake rotors went out of balance and shook the car like helicopter was above us. Now at 72K the transmission failed. Payed 1400 to replace it. 2 months later the radiator fluid has leaked into one of the transmission cooling lines and again the transmission misshifts. It is in the shop more than on the road. Save yourselves and do not buy this vehicle. I am trading mine in!

Be careful!!

Ian, 11/29/2008

Many, many problems! A lot of what I've already read - Ignition coils (all 6), sliding door - sticks and doesn't operate properly, and now the tranny - it's in the shop right now. I actually have filled almost 10 pages of a notebook because our experience has been so surreal. I even bought the extended Mazda Canada warranty, only to find out time and time again that nothing was covered.

12345...29