Used 2002 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used MPV for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

MPV

Toomach, 09/11/2004

The MPV is a fun car with reasonable performance, acceptable gas mileage, plenty of stowage space, handles better than many cars and has good safety. Most of the benefits of an SUV without most of the drawbacks. We bought it to travel in. The car comfort with plenty of room makes it ideal for us.

Mazda MPV

indricothere, 10/22/2004

I bought an 02 MPV and I thouroughly love it. Very nice styling,it is just the right size for kids. It drives and feels like a car, and is much more responsive than dodge,ford, chevrolet. It also is a good used deal, not as expensive as the pricier Honda, and Toyota with comparible options. The optional sliding doors have been perfect and very convient. The ES is nice with leather. I was most impressed with the second row seating options. I never thought I would enjoy a minvan however, I love this one.

FUN to drive but at a cost

jamesandlisa, 10/21/2004

Purchased fully loaded and with ground effects package. True to the advertising, the MPV is FUN to drive with quick acceleration and excellent cornering. Plus, for a mini-van this just looks great! Great compromise between sporty car and mini-van. Drinks A LOT of fuel but I knew that beforehand based on MPG ratings. Smaller size makes it easy to park and u-turn; however, interior gets tight very quickly for people over 5'10" tall! Definitely NOT roomy.. especially if add a baby seat. Overall, I would definitely buy it again!

A fan of the 2002 MPV!

KT in VBVA, 03/12/2003

I thoroughly enjoy my 2002 MPV LX. We were on our way to purchase a 2002 Camry XLE(we have a 2000 and sold our 1994 Camry) and passed the Mazda dealership. I had read the consumer reviews on the MPV and wanted to check it out for myself. Though our salesman was definitely lackluster, I was truly impressed with what Mazda had to offer...so impressed that I was swayed to buy the MPV- it gave me room for more passengers(it can be a tight squeeze in the last row of seats, but it beats taking separate cars) and the nimbleness of a car. The body is stylish and sharp-the exterior lighting package adds a sporty look. I don't feel like I'm driving a van at all.

2002 MPV is OK

Nigel Chubb, 06/16/2005

Has been reliable and fun to drive. The five speed transmission sometimes bangs audibly between 1->2 and 2->3, especially after braking and then accelerating. I'm worried about what this might mean we keep it past the warranty period. The rotors went at 18,000 km but replaced under warranty. The Dunlop tires it came with wore out way too fast - before 48,000 km for the first set and the second set almost done at 56,000 km now. Dealership would not compensate, Dunlop would not answer my emails to discuss. Otherwise service very good at Mazda dealers - due to job changes and moves I've used three different ones regularly.

Much More Than I Expected

LoveMyMPV, 07/03/2005

I started out loathing all mom-mobile minivans but this Mazda MPV ES has changed all that. Quick, nimble, comfortable and economical (29-30mpg @ 60mph), I don't really miss my Mercedes. The ES model is comfortable to drive on long trips and the upscale radio pulls in more stations than my Mercedes ever did. The power sliding doors and fold-under 3rd seat are extremely convenient, as are the slide-together 2nd row seats (make them a single bench or 2 buckets). There's always enough power on tap, especially off the line, and passing power seems more than adequate. It's size makes it ideal for fitting in a garage with room to spare. All-in-all, I'd buy it again.

I like it

2002maazda mpv ex, 01/13/2006

I like the handling, acceleration, and comfort of my Mazda van.

We like our 2002 MPV

Don, 04/28/2006

We bought this car for unusual reasons: it would fit in our garage (was shorter than most minivans), a 6 footer could fully lay out on the floor in back of the first row seats, and the mileage rating was pretty good. It has more than met our needs, and we regularly get 21-22 mpg at 70-80 mph on trips, and not too much less in city driving.

Not real happy with it

Derrick Petree, 09/02/2006

We should had gone with the Honda. At first it was a great van. Then we had an overheating problem. That had it in the shop 5 times. We had to take it back 3 times for the same recall. Then at 60,578 the transmission went out. Just after the warranty went out. Dealer won't fix because we 578 over on miles. Cost us $2400 to fix. Poor gas mileage about 18 hwy, 15 city.

My Unreliable Mazda

Joe, 09/23/2006

This vehicle has given us nothing but problems. We have 47,000 miles and the warranty is out. Repairs: we have already had the transmission replaced (we do not own a boat or tow anything except the 2 kids). It took the dealership 3 weeks to get a new transmission because they were on backorder. Mazda paid 1 week on the rental but I was responsible and out of pocket for 2 weeks. The power sliding doors don't work and the dealership can't figure out the problem or take responsibility. The electronic coil on valve #3 went out and Mazda would do nothing to back up the product (cost $500 to replace coils on valve #1, 3, and 5). This was my 3rd Mazda product and now is my LAST.

51050