Used 2016 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Top-notch crafted car & pure driving athleticism
By Auto Enthusiast

2016 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Thank you to all the consumer updates at edmunds.com, I've previously purchased my 2010 Mazda Cx-9 GT reading same site and then I've purchased again after reviewing 2016 bit used Mazda CX-9 and even tho it's now 1.5 yr old car when I purchased it's an amazing car. Lot better built then previous versions, almost felt like BMW level quality (I've another car is BMW), Love the all functions and advanced technology , did test drove other SUV's in its class like other folks I came back to Cx-9GT, kids love it so much that they will try keep it clean this car :-) .. Love it all along, Getting decent gas mileage for such huge 7pessanger car .. and on highway 75-80 you don't feel a thing.. Overall happy and recommend to folks..

Good sized vehicle with power and fuel economy.
By Lee

2016 Mazda CX-9 Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my second CX-9. The first was a 2008 and I thought that was great car, but this one is close to perfected. I used to get about 18 MPG with a very powerful v-6 and now I get 26 plus or minus with plenty of pep and power for my driving with just a 4 cyl. It cruises the highway at 80 without changing gears at all even when attempting a decent hill. I checked this out thoroughly before buying and I was very surprised. The ride comfort is very smooth and quite and that has been a big improvement over the older model. I bought the lower end Sport model, but there was plenty of standard features including the turbo engine to keep me happy and for a hell of a lot less money. I can close my own hatch back, I am not in a wheel chair yet! If you ask me there is not a better value than the Sport model. Out the door for about $32,000. I don't think you can even pick up a used "Luxury Line Brand" for anything close to that. You can keep all the extra bells and whistles along with the high price.

Sudden Unintentional Acceleration Of CX 9
By Disappointed

2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought the signature CX-9 in August 2016 after falling in love with it at first sight. The gunmetal grey version with the beautiful interior featured in all the Mazda ads. Drove it over 24k miles in 18 months with what I would describe as only minor yet commonly reported issues like the AC was not very cool and the infotainment system would intermittently not work correctly. However, this car then did what I now know several other Mazda’s have done: it suddenly unintentionally accelerated in it’s own. I was slowly pulling into a parking spot via a sharp right turn and suddenly the car throttled and accelerated at a very fast rate forward and did not respond to my panicked attempt to slam the brakes. It became lodged into a planter in front of me. It was the most surreal, shocking and scary thing. I didn’t even know this was possible until it happened to me. I am grateful I did not hurt anyone in this incident. Mazda will not acknowledge it and my dealer, after having it towed directly there returned it to me two days later saying it was safe to drive. It is not safe and I refuse to put my family’s fate in Mazda’s self-serving hands. I am getting the bodywork completed and immediately getting rid of this car. I’m posting my experience so that others out there who have experienced this will know you are not alone.

Sporty family hauler
By aswath80

2016 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

CX-9 (2016 Grand-Touring AWD) is a nice family SUV that is very practical and fun to drive. I have driven 12k miles already and enjoy owing this SUV.
Looks:
This is definitely a great looking SUV and since I have started owning it, I have noticed it grabbing the attention of quite a few drivers on road.
Space:
We are a family of four with adults slightly less than 6ft. Front seating feels luxurious. I can position seats in all rows so that passengers in all 3 rows can have good leg room and are very comfortable. Some reviews talk about leg room in 3rd row being small but it is quite sufficient for kids and even for adults less than 6ft for long drives. Trunk space is large when 3rd row seats folded but with 3rd rows seats up, only small items can be carried in trunk.
Interior Noise Levels:
Mazda has done a great job in insulating the cabin very well from outside noise. Interior is noticeably quieter. Mazda could have done a slightly better job at insulating the interior from its own engine noise that is slightly more noticeable at lower gears when engine revs past 2000rpm. But once the engine settles at a cruising speed, the engine sound is hardly noticeable.
Driving and Handling:
This is one of the most loveable aspect of this SUV. It never felt like driving a big SUV either on city or on freeways, feels like driving a sporty sedan. Few reviews mentioned about the Mazda's hard steering and I used to think that soft to turn steering is good but later when driving cars of both type of steering I now appreciate why the steering that hardens with increasing speed is better. It gives much more confidence of vehicle stability in freeways where keeping your vehicle in lane feels much more easy and natural. The vehicle has no body roll whatsoever. When existing freeways with 360 degree turns, I can overtake a sedan in a 360 turn with the vehicle absolutely in control.
Power and Acceleration:
Lot of reviews talk about the initial acceleration when moving from stops. May be those were reviews by people who expect to see a turbo lag typically associated with the turbos. The initial pick is nothing special and of course the vehicle moves from stop as brisk as non-turbo sedans. What excites more about the acceleration is when the vehicle is past 35-40mph, especially on freeways, the way it pulls so linearly and cleanly without revving high. It is absolute pleasure to rev from 40mph all the way up to 75mph on freeways. I have overtaken any car that I wanted to, on the highway in this speed range.
Fuel efficiency:
This is bit of a disappointment based on what was advertised. I drive this car a lot in busy LA traffic and mpg gets as worse as 16mpg in city driving. The best I get is on freeways (Again, LA freeways are not really freeways anymore) where I have witnessed 24-26mpg. In a mixed driving conditions the best I get is anywhere between 19-21mpg.
Safety and other features:
Adaptive Cruise Control: Mazda has achieved near perfection in this. The radar based adaptive cruise control is very reliable and I use it all possible times. My previous sedan, when on cruise control and on a slope, would rev till red line pumping up my adrenaline and forcing me to cancel the cruise control and take control. But CX-9 scores best here where the acceleration and braking is so natural like the way an actual driver would drive. The cruise control is tuned so nicely that I get the best mpg when on adaptive cruise control.
Automatic Braking: It has both city and highway automatic breaking. I have witnessed it working appropriately. The only concern here is that the automatic braking is an abrupt slam on the brakes, scaring passengers. Wish the braking is much more gently quick like the adaptive cruise control braking. Can definitely save you from a frontal collision. Sensitivity can be adjusted.
Overhead display on front glass: Thought this is just a fancy feature but I am now so used to this display for speed limit checks and navigation. Very useful.
Lane keep assist: Recognized lanes well as long as lane markings are visible and it does gently warn lane departures and it does bring back car on driving lane without overshooting and going on the otherwise. Nice job.
When on freeways, turn on adaptive cruise control and adjust lane keep assist sensitivity, you may avoid an accident.
Infotainment System:
This is the bummer from Mazda. The initial software was too buggy and the system used to reboot every 5 miles. Even after 3 upgrades, the software is very slow. It does not crash anymore (hopefully) but it is still very slow and sometimes it plays audio without any display, not even the rear camera view. I stop and start the car to get the display back. Mazda should think about outsourcing this to someone who is good at writing software and they should focus on making good cars. Some complain about the placement of controls but I find it convenient and easy to use.

Driver's SUV
By Febrazuca

2016 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Before buying this car we drove most competitors in this price range and by far this was the winner in terms of driving dynamics, looks and interior quality. After one year of ownership we are extremely happy. We have done multiple road trips with the car loaded and the engine is really responsive in all conditions. Road noise is very low and the ride is comfortable while the car feels really responsive. Very sporty for a 3-row SUV. Loaded with technology such as lane departure, dynamic cruise control and blind spot warning. The driver seat feels a bit narrow to me and does not provide many Adjustments. And the third row is only suitable for children.