Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Best of the current breed
By tenfour

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Doing as much research as possible on the current market led me to the CX-5.
A long term RAV4 owner with friends who drive Subarus provided some first hand insight on my most likely competitor candidates.
Yet a test drive--along with some nudging from style--made the decision an easy one.
I settled on a Touring AWD with Sunroof and Bose.
So far I'm pleased with the driving experience, style, value and comfort.
Any negatives?
Yes, for a dozen reasons, I wish I did NOT purchase the Bose audio system.
What a waste of $ not to mention effort I'll expend to replace it with something less annoying.

Mazda Never Again. Never Ever.
By bluzone2

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Now about 45,000 miles. The car is garaged. Top overall mpg is only 25.3, in spite of all thruway and interstate driving. Now on its Third set of rotors all around. That averages about 16,000 miles per rotor complete replacement. Accidentally backed up along my spruce tree and the Needles scratched the paint.
The carpet is shot in spite of using heavy duty aftermarket mats.
Wanna buy one?

Cross shopped all the high-efficiency small AWDs. Mazda was a little more expensive but "appeared" to have more amenities. Appearances are deceiving. I bought a fully loaded GT CX-5 with everything but a NAV, based on reviews of the NAV. After 6500 miles that pretty sky blue paint has more white zits than a teenager, the leather is like paper, the "Bose" speakers sound like a discount house box speaker, and I can't get the fuel efficiency higher than 26.0 on interstate driving. Mazda, by way of your dealer, will not stand behind its product.

Best Crossover
By armtech

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My salesman was right, Mazda has that Europian drive like feeling, I test drove the Rav4 and the Crv, but Mazda Cx5 was the winner, I am really impressed all the way around, quality build, I don't think the RAV4 is in the same category to be honest, felt boring, too light, lot of road noise,
Matter of fact Just traded my 2013 cx5 and got the new 2016 Cx5!

I Really Wanted to Like the CX-5
By redskins5926

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The CX-5 is certainly the best-handling crossover on the market, with dynamics similar to the BMW X1/X3.
The ride was stiff, which was good on smooth roads but uncomfortable on rough roads.
Space was plenty for passenger comfort as well as cargo.

But the big disappointment with the 2013 CX-5 was the engine and transmission.
The engine is definitely underpowered for the car, I literally had to floor the gas pedal every time I merged onto the highway.
The transmission was even more terrible as it lagged significantly whenever I floored the pedal to get more power.
Fuel economy was good, though not significantly worth it with the underpowered engine.

Layout of controls, smartkey system, HID headlights

Engine (though this seems to have been remediated for 2014 with the more powerful 2.5 engine option). Transmission lag. The LCD display for the audio and nav is too small.

One Year Later
By mary668

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

One year later, no major problems.
Runs well, still comfortable, decent sound system (I don't expect a studio experience), no new noises, rear door still occasionally resists latching once, closes the second time.
My primary concern is getting on the interstate via a short ramp and 70mph plus speeds whizzing by, this car can be dangerous trying to get up to speed fast.
It hesitates too long or is unpredictable in it's response. Hope future CX-5 engineers fix this danger.