2016 Lexus GX 460 SUV Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Lexus GX 460 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GX 460 model:

Bulletproof reliability - but terrible otherwise
By Vic A.

2016 Lexus GX 460 SUV Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This SUV is built like a tank with reliability, durability and longevity second to none. The interior is nicely done and of course its off road prowess is also second to none. The ride is also surprisingly comfortable and absorbent for a true body-on-frame SUV designed to tackle some really tough terrain. Sadly that is where the positives end. The GX masquerades as a "luxury" vehicle when it is not luxurious in the least. There is more to a luxury vehicle than putting some leather and some fancy gadgets inside. The GX has one of the ABSOLUTE WORST powertrains there is. The engine is simply horrendous! It is EXTREMELY noisy, sounding like a vacuum-cleaner on the slightest of grades. Even on the freeway at about 60 to 70 mph the exhaust drone gets very tiring after a while. Pretty shocking for so called "luxury" vehicle. The engine is also not the smoothest and pretty bad actually for a V8. There are some on here that have stated that this vehicle is "extremely quiet". These folks are likely certifiably DEAF if they can't here the constant droning from the engine, which is the worst from around 1800 RPM to around 2600 RPM. That was an absolute deal breaker for me, and it is why I got rid of mine, even though this was a very difficult decision, as I do consider reliability as one the top most important aspects of a vehicle. In short, I do not recommend this vehicle at all. If it were a bare bones vehicle it would probably be OK, but for a high end luxury vehicle it is a joke!

A tank
By Gil

2016 Lexus GX 460 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I don't get this. Why is this truck not getting 5 stars in every review . I traded a 2014 VW Touareg TDI for the Lexus. I got tired of the running that the dealer give me. ( Is normal is a German car, is build for performance). Well, in my eyes , the most important thing is to get me where i want to go without having to call a tow truck. Lexus , please don't pay attention to all these spring journalist that think , they know what and how a truck should perform. Please keep making this truck the way it is. I would love to have that 2.8 diesel engine that is been sold everywhere around the world but <<<< for now i will settle for this silk smooth 4.6 engine . Maybe a little turbo ??? next generation ?? in about four years .

GX is great
By Dave

2016 Lexus GX 460 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is our third GX. Our '04 GX 470 had almost 200k miles. It's cooling pipe went bust on the freeway, by the time we pulled to the next exit it over heated. It ran another 6 months afterwards before we sold it to CarMax. We bought the new '15 GX and it was totaled a month later after being rear ended by a careless driver. The frame buckled and the rear bumper had the guys front end imprinted on it. I was able to walk away with only a stiff neck.. the other driver had a fractured jaw, broken arm and leg and ribs. The GX saved my live. We bought our third GX a few weeks later. This is a heavy traditional SUV, the acceleration is measured and "stately". Fuel economy is in the high teens, not bad for this type of vehicle. Handling is good if you get used to the truckiness. On the freeway, it is stable and quiet. It's not the quickest, but it does get to 80 to 90 mph before you know it. The only complains I have is the poor placement of the two USB ports in the center console. When plugged in, the sliding hatch cover have to be open. And there are no power ports for the 2'nd row. It got a little irritation having to charge the Kids' ipads on long trips. The Lexus roof rack cross bars are nice looking, however, they sit too close to the roof making tying down cargo a bit difficult. also you need a Torx key to move them. I liked the old GX's roof rack, with plenty of tie in points to strap your cargo.

This Is My Second Lexus GX
By Patrick

2016 Lexus GX 460 SUV Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Drove a 2006 Lexus GX for 10 years and 130,000 miles. Not one problem from the day I drove it off the dealer's lot. In August 2016 I purchased a new 2016 GX 460. It is a solid car; extremely quiet and the workmanship is high quality. Very pleased with it. I looked a numerous SUVs ( not crossovers ) and kept coming back to the Lexus GX. For the money it is a good value. Anticipate driving this one for another 10 years.

2016 GX460
By stephen peng

2016 Lexus GX 460 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is the SUV, not crossover or anything like the BMW X5 or Acura MDX. It drives like a true SUV should be. I have less then 1000 miles on it. I consider it as a full size and luxury type of the Toyota FJ curser. Which is the go everywhere kind of vehicle. I am very happy with the vehicle.