Used 2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 421 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Its a JEEP!
By Ba50mF

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Ive always wanted a Jeep and this has not disappointed. I bought used with 32,000 miles on it. I've had the vehicle for 6 months now and it is excellent in the snow. Its comfortable and tall, but not too narrow of a wheelbase. The only drawback is gas mileage, but its a real suv not, a fwd wannabe. The 4wd is amazing. This is the 2nd 4wd vehicle I have owned and its excellent

4WD / Exterior Style / Sport look

gas mileage

Buy a warranty if you get a Jeep
By bryancos

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our nearly new Liberty Limited in April 2005, with only 12K on the odometer. We installed a set of new tires two yrs ago, installed a new battery and new brakes one year ago. It recently hit the 80K mark and in the last three months, they replaced the High Pressure Power Steering hose, the Alternator, Water Pump, Serpentine Belt, and today a brand new Radiator and new Hoses was added to the list. Fortunately we had purchased an extended warranty so everything except hoses/belts/fluids was covered, but we had to pay a $50 ded. each time... Word to the wise... it's a Chrysler product and purchasing an extended warranty is well worth the money...

Practical AND Fun
By darkprince

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my Liberty Renegade used - 40k miles on it. There are some minor quirks to it I find annoying, but overall I love my Liberty! I found documentation in my owner's manual from the previous owner- apparently the transmission issue was handled by him (Thank You!). This Jeep is a ball to drive and handles better than any SUV I've ever driven. One note: Lose the Goodyear RS tires. They slip on wet roads; they won't get the opportunity to try snow/ice. No way!

Open cabin. My previous vehicle was an F-150, so a cramped cabin just won't do. This thing handles like a car and is surprisingly great off-road. Stereo on the Renegade package is wonderful.

Interior storage. Glove box is only storage inside the vehicle. Window controls on DOOR. Feel like I'm driving a 1987 Fiero with those stupid things. Stock tires are junk. How do they get $150 a piece for those things?

Way to go Toledo!
By Nate&Cheryl

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Columbia Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

We traded in my wife's Toyota RAV4 for this Jeep largely due to Toyota's poor customer service in Hawaii. I couldn't drive or ride in the RAV4 because it made me carsick for some reason. So the Jeep was a good trade. I must admit we spent way more than we should have since dealers in Hawaii are a big rip off! The only problem we have had with the Liberty was a flasher that went out last spring $38 part from the dealership and I put it in myself in under 20 minutes. I would prefer better tires than the Goodyears that are on it now. It's good to see that Jeep is still making a good product and keeping Americans employed in Toledo, Ohio. Thanks MOPAR for our family car.

4X4, 3.7 V6, interior is nice, good ground clearance, decent gas mileage for a 4X4, and good road manners

I would love it if Jeep would make this with a solid front axle, possibly a Dana 44. A Rubicon package would be sweet too. Stop putting Goodyears on them. Give it an actual glove box!!!

Head gasket
By nanafonda

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love this jeep BUT it has a recall on the head or at least that is what I was told when mine was replaced at 31,000 miles

It is so much fun to drive and easy to get car seats in and out

Better quality fabric on the seats. It is almost impossible to clean these seats without making the stain worse!