Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Impressive price and value
By Henry Semple

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car several weeks ago and have been driving it in a variety of different ways. I commute 25 miles each way on the highway for work and live in a densely populated city. The GT version's suspension and interior touches make longer highway drives pleasent and comftorble. In the city it handles well also but MPG suffers and becomes very average for its class. Also the visibility in the rear of the hatchback version is not as good as other hatchbacks I have driven. The engine is quick to respond from a stop but it seems you really have to lead foot it to get brisk accelleration at moderate speeds. Chose auto over manual after not liking the shift range and clutch.

Interior is calm and VERY quiet at 60-70mph. The perfect highway commuter. Very solidly built. Can't say enough about the extras I got for the price I paid.

Hatchback seems to lack good rearward vision. Could just take a little time to get used to. Also, if they're gonna call it a "GT", they should spice up the performance of the engine a little.

More than a good deal
By frank.hujsa

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was skeptical about getting a Hyundai Elantra at first, but I was impressed enough by the warranty and features to be satisfied. Since then, I've come to realize that it wasn't only a fantastic deal for about $15,000, but would have been a good choice for thousands more. There is no other car that offers the combination of style, comfort, drive, and price that the Elantra provides. And, it's not a bland and overpriced Civic or Corolla. This is my first online post, but I feel that strongly about this car. Spend some time researching the Elantra and comparing it to the others. You'll quickly see that its more than a good deal; its a car you'll love.

My hatchback is at least as versatile as an SUV when it comes to hauling stuff around; I moved everything in my apartment in two trips, furniture included. I love smoking those obnoxious coffeecan exhaust-pipe "tuners". Haul cargo. Only the Elantra. Also, leather. Standard on the GT.

The geometry of the hatchback could be better complimented by a shorter and more durable antenna. And...hm... I guess that's it.

2005 GLS Hatchback 5 speed
By dtipton

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After 3 months and 7000 miles the car has been in the shop 4 times. Three times for problems with the cruise control and once because they did not replace the drain plug properly after an oil change which caused a leak and because the paint was coming off where a bird made a deposit. I was told the warranty did not cover the paint as it was a "foreign substance". They would have covered it had I purchased their after market paint sealer. I called Hyundai Customer Care and was told, "Paint is not covered under warranty if the car is exposed to outside elements". I asked how I was expected to drive the car without exposing it to outside elements? No answer just a "it's our policy sir".

Fuel Economy.

I like the car, but am very unhappy with the things listed.

Exceeding Expectations
By Dave Hermens

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Before purchasing the Elantra GT, I had done extensive research on the many competitors in its category. I was surprised to find that it outperformed even the Corolla and Civic. After 7500 miles, I've decided that my choice was a good one. The Elantra is exceeding my expectations. It is sporty, economical, quiet and a very fun car to drive. The performance in the city or on the freeway has been exceptional. My one complaint is that the GT color options are limited. I would have liked a white GT.

The GT has a very responsive engine. It is peppy off the line and yet it averages nearly 30 MPG in overall driving conditions. Road noise is minimal and handling is secure.

I like the trip computer, but would like to have it indicate temperature and direction.

Perfect do-all commuter
By thm73

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Hesitant as I was to buy a Korean vehicle, I am glad I did. I've only owned the car for 2 weeks now - but at 1200 miles now (I can finally use the cruise control!) - it's been flawless. There is nothing about this vehicle that I haven't expected (not the fastest engine) - and a few things that I have been pleasantly surprised about - (the A/C gets too cold?!?) - this car is built with quality in mind - and is right on par with it's competition; at a better price to boot. In order to get ABS - I opted for a model with the sunroof/traction control/ABS package- which adds about $1300 to the base price GT - worth it in my opinion - and you get a sunroof too! I see no reason not to buy this car.

Lights turn off with iginition (even if the switch is still on), A/C is VERY good, leather seats are firm and supportive, yet comfortable. Hatchback versitility. Trip Computer (watching MPG's is addictive). I like having a sunroof, and this one is nice. The heating and air control knobs are great.

The bell for the seatbelt reminder is a little loud. Road noise coming from hatch area is a bit excessive (getting cargo tray today - hope that helps) - The GT alloy rims look a bit outdated - how about a more sporty pattern?