Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 246 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great car for the money and forgiving
By aldvin

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car since it was new.
I had to skip maintenance at times due to have a very small budget.
Something I never recommend for any car if can be avoided, however this car has forgiven every time I have done it.
I used to drive 1000 miles a week, and not once have I had to worry if I would get to where I needed to.
I now have 174k miles on it and still get 29 mpg combined highway city driving.
The only problem I have had is breaks...my fault...and had to rebuild top of engine due to my mistake with timing belt...again my fault.
I have had a badly charging battery start in cold weather.
I will keep this car until the tires fall off compared to a car payment.

Forgiving car...Hyundai has designed great cars.

174K miles and still strong!
By eldom72

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car last year with 150K miles and I've already added up 24K miles to it and it still going strong. I was first skeptical before buying because it was a Hyundai but I was proved wrong, this car has been a blast to own.

I fill up the thank ($3.36 the gal in NJ) every week and I commute everyday 30+ miles. I put Shell gas and it last even longer. it has a very good suspension (very bouncy on the highway though). It has a peppy 2.0L DOHC 16V 4 cyl engine with CVVT which is a great feature on both performance and gas mileage.

The only few things I don't like are the headlights become too hazy quick. I've tried everything to clean them but no results so far. Also the transmission feels like it slips sometimes but I blame this on the previous owner. When I changed the transmission fluid, it was all brown. As long as I give it gentle gas, it does fine.

Great little car
By magpie318

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car about a year ago with 114,000 miles on it. It drove like new. I never had a problem with it. While driving on the highway a deer jumped right out in front of me. I ended up hitting it. At 55 mph the car took the brunt of the impact. It felt as though I had hit a speed bump instead of a 6 point deer. When I got out of the car, and was able to see the damage done to it, I was amazed that no one was hurt. My beautiful car was totaled, but my family and I walked away without a scratch. I am now loyal Hyundai consumer.

safest car i have ever owned
By lizzy8911

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

i bought a 2005 elantra gt in october 2010 and i absolutely fell in love with it! i loved the whole package and the car was very affordable and great on gas! November 2010, 4 weeks after i purchased the car, i was in a bad car accident at speeds of 55 mph and i t-boned someone who turned in front of my car. I somehow managed to walk away from the accident without a single scratch on me. I would love to own this car again! and also the car i purchased was a reconstructed title so it was already in a car accident and managed to keep me alive.
and i also found out i was pregnant during the crash too and baby survived also! I want another one so bad now that i have my daughter!

i couldn't be more happy
By andydemarcho

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've been driving my Hyundai Elantra 2005 with 80,000miles on it. still feels like new! great value for great car.