2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra GT model:

I've owned many cars but this may be the best 4$.
By Tony Pags

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Ok, so I needed a new car as my long term Volvo V70 wagon was approaching 300,000 miles. I considered several new cars and after driving several competitors, I decided on the Hyundai Elantra GT Base Automatic and boy am I happy I did!! First, the quality of materials and workmanship is a class above this price point. The doors close with a "thunk" and I've had zero squeaks and rattles. Secondly, the style of the exterior and interior is very attractive. Has a very upright, Germanic, business attitude about it and it holds a TON of stuff! You could sleep in back with the seats folded. Third, the car drives fantastic! Handles great and the sport mode really changes the attitude and performance of the car, turning it into a GTi light. Fourth, the fuel economy is excellent. I have about 3,500 miles and have averaged 28 MPG, driving very briskly. Fifth, comfort and infotainment are first class at this price. The seats are terrific! They hold you tight, yet are very comfortable. The infotainment has a fantastic 8" touchscreen that turns google maps into an 8' high def NAV, nice. Also has HD radio, bluetooth, and Android Auto/Apple Carplay. The base sound system is really good. Overall this car is a great deal and I love to drive it. I highly recommend.

Overall Dissatisfaction
By Lenny

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I ha e owned the vehicle for 13 months and it has 9000 miles on it and have had several serious issues. 1. 2000 miles msrk 2 tires bubbles and tires discontinued and had to replace all 4 tires. 5000 mikes later has to replacex2 mores tires. 2. Transmission keeps slipping. 3. Wipers keep hitting hood . Its been painted 2x already. 4. Car drives terribly in rain and snow even after upgrading to better tires. I was told I had to downsize to 17 inch tires and purchase taller profile tires. 5. Navigation system is terrible.. akways wrong. I use my phone(mapquest ) instead. Dont get mecwrong I like the car but the items listed above are enough for me to dimp the car.

Drives like a sports car
By AJS

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I really would have liked a sports car, but that would have been impractical in my circumstances. I needed a 4-door. I also needed sufficient trunk space. My Elantra GT Sport with 6-speed manual is the perfect compromise. The 1.6 engine, 201hp is great and a sports car driver will never be satisfied without feeling the perfect moment to shift for maximum performance in your hands with a stick shift. I do not feel like I settled. Great choice. Very happy.

Update after a 1 year and (20,000 miles)
By Kevin

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I have the 1.6T Elantra GT Sport with the dual clutch transmission which i bought back in August of 2017. Ive since have put 20k miles on the car (yes I drive a lot) and let me tell you, this car to this day still puts a huge smile on my face whenever i get in. This is phenomenal car and an underrated one at that. By far the elantra gt sport out performs all cars it rivals such as, Mazda 3 2.5, Civic Hatchback, and VW Golf to name a few. For 200Hp and 195 Tq im getting excellent mpg about 29 mixed city and hwy. the amenities this car offers is just amazing, and dont get me started on the stock exhaust, sounds like a Subaru Sti. Best part of having this car is that in the 1 year ive had it, i have yet to see another Elantra GT sport model, and i live in Los Angeles where everyone drives. Overall this car is fantastic, if you want to stick out of the crowd get yourself the elantra gt sport.

Cheap Plastic Grill Design Susceptible to Damage
By W. Manning

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Don't buy the 2018 or later Elantra GT before reading this.

Whoever designed the front end of the 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT should be fired. There is no solid bumper (like on my 2004 Hyundai Elantra) to protect the cheap, very exposed plastic grill Hyundai put on that thing. As a result, some jerk backed into my car while parking and punched a hole through the plastic grill that is one step above styrofoam in durability.

Now I'm faced with at least a $500 repair (and I live on a fixed income!) because Hyundai designer Peter Schreyer didn't think this product through. I'm annoyed like you wouldn't believe and I think Hyundai owners should know about this incredible design flaw.

It's too late for me, but please don't buy the car until they replace the plastic grill with a hard rubber or carbon fiber product or you'll be paying big money for cosmetic repairs that would have been avoidable with a grill designed for the real world...with a real bumper.