Used 2018 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews

Used Pilot for Sale
Select your model:
12345...14

Pros
Cons

Think twice before purchasing this new model Pilot

Helen, 11/19/2018
Touring w/Navigation and Rear Entertainment System 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

I had my previous Honda Pilot for 7 years and absolutely loved it! So didn't think twice about buying another pilot. Big mistake! I got it memorial weekend and within a month it was back at the dealership as the air conditioning was blowing hot air and the car's fan wouldn't turn off for sometimes 30 mins after I turned the car off! After the car going back to the dealership 3 times and having it for a total of 23 days they finally realized the fan was assembled incorrectly and taking in air from the engine! When the car would start blowing hot air "Collision Mitigation System Problem" warning would come up. The dealership was working with Honda Corporate and they could never explain why that happened, why is was connected to the air or why it stopped once they repaired the fan!! Not very acceptable when I'm not sure if I'm driving a safe car!! The safety features are way too sensitive and the brake sign is always coming on when it shouldn't. Recently while driving in the first snow storm of the season, the "Warning Approaching Object" sensor constantly came on with an ear piercing sound the majority of my hour long journey home, I'm presuming the snow was covering the sensor, way too sensitive! The moveable arm rests become irritating. I find the heat/air controls are not very user friendly and when touching the screen at first I kept hitting the hazard light button. My husband recently purchased a Hyundai Tucson Sport and although smaller, I much prefer driving the Tucson over the Pilot any day. I purchased the Touring model because I wanted the navigation system. Didn't need the tv in it and thought it would have come with blind spot monitoring, but that's only on the Elite. All in all very disappointed with this car and will not be keeping it.

2018 Honda Pilot Tech lackluster

Sulu7, 11/13/2018
Elite w/Navigation and Rear Entertainment System 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

the 2018 Honda Pilot is very difficult to connect via USB to important devices. You are forced to use bluetooth which Is easier but means you will lack connectivity. Using the USB, I have to restart the car 2 or 3 times before it senses it. There is no connect, drive, go. The dealership doesn’t care. Honda itself wants the dealer to fix it but the dealer does not know how and they don't cae. They wont say it does not work right until you that til you already own it. It also ramdomly decides it is no longer connected. The continental tires are garbage, lose air and do not last (see other complaints). Make sure to rotate them per recommendation or you will void the tire warranty. The "safety" systems are scary esp the lane keeping which jiggles the steering wheel on you. On a two lane road it will think you are about to crash head on and displays BRAKE!!. The captains seats have spaghetti sized arm rests which are too high up for a petite person ie unusable and therefore the driver right arm gets tired since it cannot rest. They are also uncomfortable. (middle console is low and not an armrest option. After all these years Honda still puts center console cup holders on top of each other instead of side by side across. Driver and front passenger hands collide when reaching for drinks. The econo system cycles to electronic to save gas but has an uncomfortable, jumpy and loud restart. If going from complete stop and need to go fast it cant do it. Lastly, the hatch has no auto stop if it encounters resistance like a roof or overhead beam. Integrated satellite antenna means it often drops signal from satellite radio. The engine chirps. The battery died at 21000 miles withusing only one charging port. Regularly while driving. Now at 23000 the brakes squeal. The GPS does not seem to understand that a passenger can operate it and locks until the vehicle is stopped. Volume has no knob just touch. Very distracting. Sound system is so so. My old 2010 was much better.

Pilot is a pickup with a full cabine

RandyR, 03/12/2018
EX w/Honda Sensing 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Great drivers aids except blind spot monitoring should be on all models, not just the Elite. Apple CarPlay is great, no costly upgrades for onboard GPS. Also captains chairs should be an option for all models, not just elite. I didn’t want to pay $8000 more for most items I don’t want or need like 2nd row entertainment, on board GPS etc. It has the space of an Odessey, but not the soccer mom look.

Last Pilot I will own - looking at other vehicles

Amy A, 03/23/2019
EX-L w/Honda Sensing 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

For background, this is my 3rd pilot since 2006. I'm not an expert on engines or mechanically inclined, but do know what I like. I leased one Pilot ('06), then purchased one in '09. That was my favorite one - based on it's styling, handle, and size. I wasn't going to get another, as my 2009 transmission was going out after 118K miles. However, after searching various makes and models, I came back to the Pilot because of its reviews and ability to fit the needs of my family. MISTAKE! I even paid the additional $1000 for the Honda Sensing, as knew it helped on safety and insurance. That is my biggest regret! It goes off all the time for no reason, telling me to brake when no one is even in front of me. (I'm told guard rails, light poles, and other various things can cause it to go off.) It braked for me for lane keep assist, when I went onto exit ramp, as the lane went that way (believe if I had my signal on, it wouldn't have, however, I wasn't switching lanes, so didn't see the need), almost causing a fender bender from car behind me. I've reported to dealership and even taken there. But, because they can't get it to replicate, as it is only periodically, no solution in sight. Even the Honda Tech who took it out with me, reported issues with other Pilots (scaring me with stories into never using the adaptive cruise control). In addition, this feels like a mini van or station wagon, neither of which I enjoy driving. I miss the truck feel and higher, sportier look of the older model. Even the center console and front seat armrests resemble a mini van style. Along with my issues with the Sensing, I don't like how it shifts. As I live off a hill, my car either feels like it is screaming trying to climb it or jolts when it does finally switch gears. Apple CarPlay was a selling point for me. However, not surprisingly, it doesn't consistently work properly in my car. I even purchased a new cord and had daughter try with her phone, to ensure it wasn't our equipment versus the car. It works probably about 75-80% of the time, but then, has its days and times when just won't connect or even begins to and freezes (as evidenced on my home screen in vehicle). Annoyance when want for convenience, but truly a pain when need for navigation apps. And, whoever “forgot” to put USB ports in the middle row should be fired. Why have an 8 person vehicle and only have ports in the front row?!? Stupid! Should have trusted my initial instincts and looked elsewhere. Buyer be warned! I'm glad Honda's tend to hold their value as I do not foresee keeping this one for long. Only good features, in my opinion, size - which fits our families needs right now I have two teens and legroom is a must (as one over 6 feet tall). We often haul other kids too, especially when we travel and need the extra seating and space. Gas mileage is decent. I typically get right around 20 mpg with driving both city and highway. Overall though, not worth it. I was pressed to make a decision in a short amount of time and honestly regret this purchase. It is the only car I've ever owned and not liked driving. UPDATE (6/20/19) - "Christine" (as she was nicknamed) is gone! No more possessed vehicle for me! Traded her in (not upside down and even re couped some of my last trade in, but so worth it for my sanity and peace of mind). BUYER BEWARE!

poor decision

John, 12/15/2018
Touring w/Navigation and Rear Entertainment System 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

Traded in a Infiniti QX60 was a bad decision. The Pilot looks great in blue but you can only get it with the lighter seats which blue jeans will dye the light seats. The leather seats feel cheap but the leather is nice but the narrow right arm rest will put your arm to sleep. The Pilot rides really smooth on the interstate but on hills loses power and downshifts to hard while in cruise control to maintain speed is aggravating. Sometimes mine won't start cannot find out why and it even happened at the dealership? Twice while running it didn't go into gear once while in a car wash once in a parking lot, there is a procedure for car washes. The engine turns off when stopped at a light does not bother me but drives my wife nuts, there is a button to push to turn it off but you have to do it EVERYTIME you start the Pilot. If you like go through a yield sign where you have to slow down but not stop when you give it gas it hesitates, real bad, I sometimes have the peddle floored then it jumps into action really aggravating. We were warned about the transmission during the sale now I understand. This would be a great SUV with a CVT transmission. ## Update, on long trips very comfortable but with the cruise on it takes to long for the transmission to catch up when it catches the car in front of you when it slows to match that cars speed when you pull out to pass that car it just sits there, aggravating and dangerous. Drivers right arm rest not big enough, my arm falls asleep after awhile on trips. You have to read the book before going to a car wash can't remember what you have to do and that's the problem. Back hatch not adjustable that is a problem for me, hits the garage door have to back in the garage to prevent this. It does get good gas milage on the highway, I drive as fast as the road allows around 78-80 when possible it gets an east 24-25 mpg. I will pay this down and trade it as quick as I can.

12345...14