Used 2005 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Base car, good value - not built for excitement
By billsemail

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We were seeking a cash car that would provide a reliable means of transportation after loosing my Aurora to a Honda Civic driver that turned right from the left lane (that is a whole other story). We chose a Taurus due to our past experiences and we needed something that was simple to operate with minimal distractions while I recovered. The Taurus has few options other than power locks, power window, and a CD player, but it fit our needs perfectly. Gets a rock-solid meh rating except in the ease of use and reliability; for that an A+.

Don't Waste Your Time
By DDM

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had this car for about 4 1/2 years before a drunk driver totaled it. Before this one, I drove a 1999 Ford Taurus. As far as the car itself goes, I actually loved it. It was very comfortable, roomy (for a mid-sized sedan), and met the needs of my four-person family. I really liked the great gas economy, I tended to average 30 - 31 mpg hwy and 27 - 28 mpg city. I took care of this car to the best of my financial ability - getting everything serviced when it was time to according to the service manual. I did not neglect this car at all. So, that being said, let me warn you why you should not buy a Ford Taurus unless it was built 2012 or newer.....My '99 Taurus was bad enough, I just outright learned my lesson with the 2005 one: 1) The transmission goes out completely (needing a full rebuilt at $2k a pop) at around 140k miles. 2) The power steering goes completely out on you around 120k miles 3) When you hit 100k miles, everything electrical needs to be replaced 4) the windshield fluid hose is too close to the engine and actually constantly gets burned through, not to mention the sprayers get constantly clogged 5)The power steering fluid is somehow affected by the AC system - Our AC/Heat kept both going out and each time the power steering would act up. We'd flush the powersteering and the AC would work again, then act up and the power steering fluid would be thick and black. No mechanic (3 looked at it) could figure it out other than to constantly flush the power steering and charge us $80 a pop. So in a nutshell: buy a Taurus and wind up spending thousands of dollars in maintenance per year. The resale values of these are the lowest of any car on the market just about. The market is so saturated with junk Tauruses, you'd be better off not buying one unless you just love visiting your mechanic.

Best car I've ever owned
By LeOndra

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I don't know if I just got lucky but I have had my Taurus for 10 years and it is still going. The accelerator did start to stick at about 75,000 and that can be very dangerous, but my son did a quick fix and it's been just fine ever since. Other than that I have not had any problems with the car. I am very fortunate to own such a reliable car. if it starts to give me problems at this point I will not be disappointed because the car has served me very well.

Piece of Crap
By Tigerman19

2005 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! Long story short.......this car has major transmission issues that FORD knows about but is too cheap to recall and fix. This started with the torque converter being sheered off at 60,000 miles and the total bill with the tow costing me right at $1,200. Then, only 14 months later, the transmission is now shot again. The cylinder clutch drum s going out and the transmission shop in town wants somewhere between $3,500 to $4,500 to completely rebuild the transmission. They will do a patch on it but won't guarantee how long that will last for only the low price of $1,500. When I purchased this car the vehicle had 46,000 miles on it. The car now only has 76,000 miles on it but is basically useless to drive as you can only get to 20 MPH before it kicks out of gear.

I have been a lifetime Ford owner starting with the 1975 Maverick that I bought when I was in high school. I have owned also a 1988 Thunderbird which I loved and then a 1997 Expedition which was a very good vehicle. Besides the Taurus I have a 01 Expedition that I upgraded too after the 97 Expedition. I have had my share of headaches with the 01 Expedition as well. I am truly disappointed in FORD for their refusal to acknowledge they have a major flaw in the transmission of the Taurus for models around 2005.

I have been a lifetime FORD advocate but not anymore. I will never buy another FORD again and hope that if you read this review that you think twice before buying a FORD and especially the Taurus.

Love my Taurus
By Steve Book

2005 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Solid Car - its a tank in the snow, and for a 3.0L engine, has lots of low end power.