Used 2004 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Taurus Sel 24 valve engine
By Chap

2004 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

this Taurus has great performance with almost 210 hp and steers and rides comfortably. Along the way there will be some expected maintenance of the the car but this is normal with all vehicles. the transmission is a little weak but if you have the fluid completely flushed and replaced every 2 years the transmission will stay smooth and reliable for a very long time.

Still driving mine with 300,000 miles
By Michael B.

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car 10 years ago with just over 100,000 miles on it. It was in great shape. I believe I only gave $3,800 for it at the time? It is hard to beat for driveability and comfort. I guess the reason I have driven the car so long is that I really like it! Really haven't found anything I'm interested in trading for. However driving the car this long was sort of a mistake. I would have been much better off letting it go at about 200,000 miles. Little by little I replaced everything major on the car with the exception of the engine (seems perfect still) First big items was the catalytic converters. (3 of them in the Duratec model) $2,400. at 224,000 miles. Then the transmission let go with only 282,000 miles. That was another $2,400. Then a week later the A/C goes. $1,600. A week after that the power steering pump along with a very hard to replace line. $600. Still, I figure I've driven the car 200,000 miles for and investment of about $11,000 total. Of course I've replaces brakes, shocks, tires, plugs, filters, coil packs and things like that numerous times like you would in any car. I've suffered little from depreciation and in our state, taxes and license are almost free. Insurance is downright cheap. So....at this point I've got a really good car again. I'll keep driving it. At this point and time would I recommend doing the same thing I did? Probably not? The car is still a great car but in 2018 it is getting beyond it's freshness date. Transmissions, airconditioners and cats are expensive. However, a nice Grandma's garage 75,000 mile Taurus might be hard to pass up?

Very good value
By Charles Haynes

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great car at a great price. Minimal maintenance outside of scheduled.

underestimated
By CAT

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle runs so smooth, you can barely hear the sound at low idle. I seriously feel believe the car glides rather than drives.This car took us to South Florida with only stopping for gas and got 29mpg at 65mph. Extremely underestimated vehicle with the comfort of a luxury car and the pick up of a sports car:)
The only issue was a heater core that needed replacement seems common for this model

Midsize Station Wagon
By Rolland Elliott

2004 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Transmission failure was way premature. Little things quit working including left outside mirror vertical control and radio won't work in hot weather. Theft prevention works great. Somewhat smaller than Sable wagon.