Used 2002 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

You should look again at a Ford Ranger
By Ranger Satisfied

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My 2002 Ford Ranger (2.3 L, I-4, Supercab) has been 100% reliable. The only repairs that I have had to perform is the normal, routine maintenance. I have never had a more reliable vehicle. I am especially happy with the gas mileage (28 mpg on average). I purchased my Ford Ranger new after driving all the competitive small trucks. My Ford Ranger is definitely a no frills truck, but I am happy with the quality of it. I would highly recommend the Ford Ranger for being a responsible purchase, and I feel I got the most for my money when I bought it. I have read all the trade magazine reports how Ford Rangers are out-of-date and obsolete, but my truck has been 100% reliable. No complaints.

Gas mileage is the No. 1 feature that I like most about my 2002 Ford Ranger. When I drive straight out highway driving, I have gotten over 32 mpg. On average between city and highway driving, I have always gotten between 27 mpg to 28.5 mpg. The air conditioner works great.

If I have any negative comment to report, it would be the trade-in value of my Ford Ranger. It is dismal. I don't understand why Ford Rangers have such low trade in values, because it is a quality built truck. I wish my Ford Ranger had hinges on the extended cab so it would provide easier access.

Highly dissapointed with 3.0 L power
By aquaman828

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck in Feb 09 and have had it for just over a year now. I got a great deal, so i bought it. The reliability of this truck is good, i haven't had any problems with it; just routine maintenance. This suspension is now decent after putting on KYB gas shocks. The 3.0 L engine is dangerously lacking power. The fuel economy is atrocious. It is a 6 cyl engine with V8 fuel economy and 4 cyl acceleration. I know nothing is wrong with my engine, just a terribly outdated design. Maybe good in the 90's but not now. The f150 has more power and gets better gas mileage. I see 14 mpg city, 17 hwy. Everyone who say it is good should test drive another truck, and wise up. 4.0l is also weak!

It looks cool. It is a Ford. My aftermarket stereo, loud! Useful truck, but I am still upset about the lack of power. Seriously a V8 gets better gas mileage. Ford has no love for the ranger anymore.

Put the 3.7 liter from the new 2011 mustang accompanied with a 6 speed auto transmission. It would push out between 280-300 hp and get at least 25 hwy. Also make it a little bigger (Frontier size) Offer a V8 or a diesel for some towing power. Change the 15 year old truck already. Come on Ford!

The blue ghost
By raymondlatulippe@yah

2002 Ford Ranger XLT Appearance 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My name is rayray I got my ranger in 2002 love at first site xlt supercab 3.0 v6 5 speed automatic bright island blue it is only a4x2 never got stuck. I live in mass how about 6 to 8 inches of snow no problem. I put 20s chromes and a chip but it is very rough on the trany I also put bilstien shocks and fuel injection this truck is a looker i have 66,500 miles on it. Iwant to do a lot more to her. The best way is to buy one stock and do the add-ons yourself. You will glad you did great truck my girl says I spend more time with the ghost than her haha she is right. So go buy a Ford ranger you will be glad you did. Rayray!

my favorite thing is you can buy a ford ranger well stocked at a good price.i have a 3.0 v6 beefed up great engine but the 4.0 i heard is quick i have had my 3.0 up to 113 mph she had more to go but the tire rating made leery. these rangers are built good for any use you want also my paint is great.

Well the brakes could need some help and more torque would be nice. The straps are cheep on the tailgate. The ride well you say I am in a truck that is for sure. I had a slow leak in my tire nobody could find it. Well it was the chrome steel wheels had a small rotted hole in it. Later rayray!

Tough as nails
By Trouble Maker

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab LB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am 19, in college, and have had this truck since I could drive in highschool. I can already tell you I have put more abuse in this truck in the time i've had it than most ever deserve. I've juiced the ol' Trouble Maker up since getting it, various engine upgrades, exhaust, and now I have the numbers to 175 horses and 200+ fp of torque in the EXTREMELY outdated Vulcan 3.0. Not particularly fast, (though geared very well) and fuel mileage leaves alot to be desired, the one thing this motor and truck has is unwavering, stubborn loyalty. Since having it I have pulled heavier trucks out of steep trails, and had many adventures where my truck was the star. all without any problems. At all.

Sturn, sticky handling, tough strong feel, Handsome without looking like an SUV with a bed, and by GOD it will take just about anything you can throw at it. Hard bumps, steep tough trails, extreme weather, parking dividers, curbs, minivans, it plows through all without a scratch. Truely a mans mini.

Engine line up, without a doubt,interior is very 90's-fisher price toy grey (with some black trim that I do find attractive in my trim package) Lots, I repeat, LOTS of road noise, very stiff unforgiving ride that forces you to hear and feel every bump in the road, door locks that over time stiffen

Great truck
By Steve

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

For the price, you can't beat this truck. I've put 145K miles on mine and haven't had a problem yet. I have the 4.0L and the power and pick up is great, I can get around traffic with ease. It makes a good sleeper if you're going against GTI's, Civics and the like. Insurance and maintenance costs are cheep. It's half the price of the Taco's. Decent ergonomics, definitely go for the bucket seats. You can use parts from the 95-01 explorers to give you an over head console with a temperature gauge, leather seats, etc. Overall, the greatest truck on the market.

Power