Used 1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Nice little truck but poor gas mileage
By Charlie

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Very nice little truck but if you are expecting good gas mileage you will be very disappointed

Bullet Proof Truck!!
By Palmtree1975

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I just bought my 1998 Ford Ranger XLT Single cab with the 7 foot box. They did not make many like mine and hard to find a 7 foot box with 4X4. They run great, but the 3.0 motor is not very powerful

Great type of truck
By Jeremy

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is a great type of truck for throwing something like rocks or items from the grocery store in the bed, there is plenty of space for that. Ok shifting gears, this is not a truck that you will haul a boat with. (Go get an F150 or Silverado or Ram for that) but you can tow small trailers with it with a towing capacity of 2,000 LBS. We use a small trailer and we have a weed killer pump on it that we use. As far as comfort goes, don't expect to be carrying a party of people with this truck. I have a regular cab and the middle seat isn't even a seat it's...something with a seatbelt in the middle. And even if I was going to take a third person they would sit uncomfortably because the stick is in the middle (5 speed manual) I do know that the extended cab has 2 jump seats in the back that were really designed for kids probably. So don't expect to have adults back there. Reliability is great and I've done very little maintenance on this truck with 86,000 miles on it, and when I needed to the 2.5 liter engine is real simple and easy to work on. As far as safety goes, there are no side impact airbags you just have one on the steering wheel and one for the passenger which is plenty seems how this is a small truck. The insurance is higher then some mustangs made because people crash them all the time...don't know why, so if your looking at a truck that is the EXACT replica of this one, you'd want the Mazda B3000, nobody has these trucks and the insurance is REALLY CHEAP. Overall I love my Ranger it's a good first car for me.

This truck will outlast me!
By Rich

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck in 2000 w/44k on it in Minneapolis for the move out to Las Vegas. It still looks just like it did off the lot back then. Never garaged, but always under cover. Basic maintenance including battery/brakes/serpentine belt/altenator/ac freon is all that keeps it running sofar w/125k mikes :) It will always be my daily driver until it dies or me (I got a Shelby GT 500 for weekends)

My Better Deal
By cloudbumper

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Purchased this used with 10K miles in 2000. Some minor problems after end of 1 year warranty. Biggest problem has been rust. Cab lower areas and rear of frame and tail gate have needed repairs due to rust. But thats life in New Hampshire. After 146K plus miles and almost 20 years it is still a great vehicle with the original clutch and drivetrain. Hope the 2019 Ranger is a similiar design. If it is I may buy one.