Used 1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

Used Ranger for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...9

Pros
Cons

Best Truck Ford Produced!

nbrookshire, 02/07/2013
XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck Brand New in 1998 with 3 miles on the truck. I have wrecked the truck 12 times, flipped it twice and it has over 600k miles on it and still runs strong. I have repaired the truck each time it has been wrecked. When Ford says Built TOUGH they mean it. My little ranger is Built Tough. I have an extra engine in my basement if ever needed. I would not trade , sell, or EVEN GIVE away my little ranger. I LOVE my little truck. This little truck gets GREAT gas mileage as well. The only mechanical issue I have had is replacing the Clutch. I go through clutches quickly. But overall Best truck Ford Made!!!

1998 Ranger

Ron, 05/17/2008
XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck new in 1998 and put 150,000 miles on it over the first 5 years. Overall the truck has been quite reliable. The two problem areas have been the interior light staying on and multiple issues with the air conditioning. Other than that the vehicle has never left me stranded. In fact, I have a 4 cylinder/5 speed stick and have never even replaced any part of the drivetrain in cluding the clutch. The truck currently has over 175,000 miles and continues to run like new.

Great truck for price

superswitchks, 02/04/2008
XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

The 2.5L motor provides great gas mileage and a decent amount of power when you need it. If you keep your right foot out of the firewall you can easily achieve 25+ mpg on the highway. However if you plan on using all 120hp plan on getting less than 17 in the city. But the handling of the truck is good for a truck; you can sling the rear around if needed, or stick the front for some decent corning out of a truck.

Great type of truck

Jeremy, 09/12/2017
XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is a great type of truck for throwing something like rocks or items from the grocery store in the bed, there is plenty of space for that. Ok shifting gears, this is not a truck that you will haul a boat with. (Go get an F150 or Silverado or Ram for that) but you can tow small trailers with it with a towing capacity of 2,000 LBS. We use a small trailer and we have a weed killer pump on it that we use. As far as comfort goes, don't expect to be carrying a party of people with this truck. I have a regular cab and the middle seat isn't even a seat it's...something with a seatbelt in the middle. And even if I was going to take a third person they would sit uncomfortably because the stick is in the middle (5 speed manual) I do know that the extended cab has 2 jump seats in the back that were really designed for kids probably. So don't expect to have adults back there. Reliability is great and I've done very little maintenance on this truck with 86,000 miles on it, and when I needed to the 2.5 liter engine is real simple and easy to work on. As far as safety goes, there are no side impact airbags you just have one on the steering wheel and one for the passenger which is plenty seems how this is a small truck. The insurance is higher then some mustangs made because people crash them all the time...don't know why, so if your looking at a truck that is the EXACT replica of this one, you'd want the Mazda B3000, nobody has these trucks and the insurance is REALLY CHEAP. Overall I love my Ranger it's a good first car for me.

It's aight

Andrew, 12/23/2009
XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought my Ranger from my Uncle who kept it in top shape. I have had it a little over a year now and it has 71,000 miles on it. My biggest complaint has to be the traction, this thing spins on spit. Mechanically the only issue's that I am having is the idle air control needed to be replaced $90.00, easy do it yourself though. My a/c pump engages all the time, even when the a/c and defrosters aren't on. Don't know what that issue is, never bothered me enough to have it checked out.

12345...9