2017 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Promised no issues with a 2017, yet it does!
By Wendy

2017 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I had a focus hatchback 2014 and had horrible clutch problems which took Ford over a year to fix. They ended up putting a new clutch in. I felt the car was a lemon and was scared to commute with it so I traded it with 64k miles on it for a 2017 Focus SE. I didn't want another Focus after the issues I had with the 2014. Well at 31k a little over a year of having the car, I had to take it in because the car would shake when shifting or slowing down plus it was dripping oil. (puddle on my garage floor). The dealer had it about a week and told me they had to replace the clutch. (Same as the 2014) So I let them know how upset I was because this is why I didn't want to buy another focus. I was assured when I purchased the "17 I would not have the problems the '14 had. WRONG! This week at 32k my car is going back into the Ford dealer to be repaired because it is now shifting before it should and is very noisy and sluggish when it does so. After having a tech in the car to see what I was talking about they said they may have to replace part of the exhaust. The car only has 32K on it. I am not happy at all. The only positive is the gas mileage. I get about 36 in the summer commuting. Which is way better then the Fusion I has in 2011 but so many more headaches. The car handles the snow amazing for a front wheel drive but only after installing snow tires. This may be my last Ford ever. Not happy with them at all.

Nice but.....!!!
By Andy

2017 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Purchased a 2017 Ford Focus with 3k mikes on the odometer. A month later the transmission began to shudder violently. It was addressed under warranty. 6 months later the transmission still shudders at certain speeds while up shifting. Heard that transmission can get locked up. Traded the vehicle.

Good little Ford
By Michael McIntyre

2017 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

A lot of transmission complaints are from the 2012 models. I also owned one of those until buying the 2017. The 2012 was in the shop 4 times for transmission trouble. My new Ford Focus is wonderful in all respects and I expect it will stay that way based on its performance thus far.

New and true
By Rick

2017 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Great little car for the money. I currently have 14000 miles on my ruby red SEL hatchback and I am very happy so far . Driving to my daughters in Virginia from New Jersey I have gotten between 43 and 47 miles per gallon . The computer is usually one and a half to 2 miles per gallon too much I use the odometer. I previously had a suburban this was a big change and I was surprised how good the ride and comfort were on the highway , I don't drive the car fast I am very conservative with it . I have also driven stick shifts for years and the shifting of this transmission does not bother me at all. I give it time to shift and have no problems for me it's a great little car ! One thing I would add is that when I come to a stop, I watch the rpms, and wait for it to be in neutral before taking off. In traffic I don't creep forward. I wait and give the car in front of me a little distance before I move up thereby not slipping clutches. I believe this helps.

Don't forget to Focus
By Natasha T

2017 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have owned my car, brand new since April 2017 and I have had numerous issues with the windshield wipers getting stuck in the up/angled position while driving. The engine sputters when accelerating and down shifting. The radio has required 3 updates in the short time I have owned the car. I was told that the wipers "might have had too much water on them to work" or that "the windshield was not wet enough" I hit a curb due to this malfunction. This car is not worth the hassles. Glad I purchased extended warranty.