Used 2017 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Focus for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Nice but.....!!!

Andy, 08/26/2018
SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Purchased a 2017 Ford Focus with 3k mikes on the odometer. A month later the transmission began to shudder violently. It was addressed under warranty. 6 months later the transmission still shudders at certain speeds while up shifting. Heard that transmission can get locked up. Traded the vehicle.

Beware of transmission issues.

Amy, 11/05/2018
SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

This car has essentially a manual transmission that shifts via computer. The Focus has been plagued by transmission problems, and the dealer probably will not inform of you of this fact prior to purchase. I found out about my transmission when I noticed rough shifting and took it in for service.

New and true

Rick, 01/20/2018
SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Great little car for the money. I currently have 24000 miles on my ruby red SEL hatchback and I am very happy so far . Driving to my daughters in Virginia from New Jersey I have gotten between 43 and 47 miles per gallon . The drive is mostly highway speeds at 45 - 60 MPH, and I watch traffic lights and traffic up ahead and let off the gas a good distance before coming to the stopped traffic. I'm sure i'm saving my brake pads too. The computer is usually one and a half to 2 miles per gallon too much I use the odometer. I previously had a suburban and this car was a big change. I was surprised how good the ride and comfort were on the highway , I don't drive the car fast, I am very conservative with it . I have also driven stick shifts for years and the shifting of this transmission does not bother me at all. I give it time to shift and have no problems. For me it's a great little car ! One thing I would add is that when I come to a stop, I watch the rpm's, and wait for it to be in neutral before taking off. In traffic I don't creep forward. I wait and give the car in front of me a little distance before I move up thereby not slipping clutches. I believe this helps. I have read about a lot of people who have had many problems , perhaps I just got a good trans or perhaps problems are in my future. I hope not. ( over thirty thousand and still no problems. Still a good little car if you don't beat it up!) I have now experienced a little shuddering of the transmission.. I then took the car out on the highway and ran it from a full stop ( from the shoulder of the road of course) to 70=75 mph. I did this four times, and the shuddering stopped. This I believe cleans the glaze that can form on the clutches. It is now 27 months old with 37000 miles and the car still performs well. I am satisfied with it. It is a small car well built for the money, but it is not to be driven like a high powered sports car. I still get over 41 MPG on long trips. Again I want to stress I am easy with the vehicle. I read an article of a delivery man who attained well over 350000 miles before he needed to have his transmission rebuilt. I will be satisfied if I can top 150000 mark. We shall see! *** 7/30/2020 Now have almost 41,000 miles and still no problems at all. Gas mileage is still over 41 on long trips, but like I said before I am easy with the car. My focus is still amazingly quiet for such a small car. I haven't driven much this past year because of the virus, so I haven't made too many long trips. I give this car 5 stars. I guess I have a good one!***I now have over 51,000 miles and this little focus is just as good as the day I purchased it. No repairs, only oil changes a little sooner then the manual recommends. Recently on a trip down Routes 13 and 113 Del. Md. Va. speed limits 45-55 with cruise control, and I got (45 MPG) by the odometer reading. The computer can b 1-2 mpg off. Keeping my fingers crossed,and hoping to get 150,000 miles.

Good little Ford

Michael McIntyre, 07/02/2018
SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

A lot of transmission complaints are from the 2012 models. I also owned one of those until buying the 2017. The 2012 was in the shop 4 times for transmission trouble. My new Ford Focus is wonderful in all respects and I expect it will stay that way based on its performance thus far.

Long time Ford purchasers.....not anymore!!!

Not a Happy Owner....., 01/08/2019
Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Prior to purchasing the car, I was told by the General Manager that Ford had fixed the transmission issues starting with the 2017 model. So I purchased the 2017 Ford Focus in the summer of 2017. I have driven it 6,600 miles since that time. Got in it the other day (with my "gear head" other half), and when accelerating up a hill, it started shuddering and I heard a little grind in it. He immediately said "your transmission is slipping". I took the car to the dealership and dropped it off, but received a phone call the next day stating that their "transmission" person was not available until the following Monday. I picked the car up and returned it for service on Monday. I received a phone call from the dealership stating there was shuddering and little noise, but that Ford considers it "within tolerance". I was told that the transmission functions like a manual transmission. I told the Service Manager that I had a manual transmission prior to this car and it never acted like that. I asked the Service Manager if he could recommend another dealership that I could take the car to for a second opinion. He could not and stated that he preferred me to utilize the current dealership. I told him that I would be contacting Ford Warranty. I also told him that I can see this problem only getting worse. He said that they get this car (year and make) in there all of the time with the same issues. Again, Ford thinks this is okay. They sure didn't fix the transmission issues that they had with previous models. I have been a Ford buyer for 40 years, but after this incident, I do believe I am finished with Fords. Very disappointed......new car with virtually no miles and it runs worse than a 15 year old vehicle. Unacceptable in book!!!!