Used 2004 Ford Focus Wagon Consumer Reviews

Used Focus for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...9

Pros
Cons

Focus

thescorpion1024, 09/13/2003
SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love it, great car. Great gas milage and fun to drive. However your back will bother you on long road trips.

Excellent little car

wagnerzx2, 04/12/2013
SE 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

After my Escort ZX2 died (after 13 years) I needed a new car. After test driving several, this little wagon perked my interest. I bought it used with 86,000 miles on it in August of 2012, and since, (april 2013) have put over 20,000 miles on it. I average about 33 mpg. about 28 city, 32 against the wind, and 40 with the wind. Since I travel a lot, its great to have the cargo space and the excellent gas mileage. And when I'm home, I can haul my three kids all over the place and everyone is confortable, even with one still in a booster seat. My only downside on this very particular vehicle is that I do not have cruise control. Otherwise, its a great car.

disappointing fuel economy

jim worcester, 11/11/2004
SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Although we have only put on 6900 miles so far, I am disappointed with the fuel economy (5 speed manual). Much of our driving is rural and we are seeing generally slightly less than 30mpg. We are still driving our 1995 Ford Escort Wagon 5 speed manual with 220000 miles that is still getting close to 40mpg (summer). Owners manual said to wait until after about 5000 miles to check mpg, which we have and still hasn't improved.

What can you expect from a 16 year old car?

Jared M, 05/06/2019
SE Fleet 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Turns out quite a bit. I bought this car to replace a 1997 Ford Thunderbird V8 after being struck by a Ford Transit 350. I'm no stranger to Ford and after the fact that car was inherited from my late uncle for free, I put the money into that just to have it totaled. I got back double what I put into it so I let insurance keep it (I miss that thing already, a Mustang with another body). After just 3 weeks with the Focus Wagon, I'm pretty surprised at what it is. It's got a 4Cyl that puts out what my 1993 Toyota Pickup's V6 can do with a 40% Fuel Economy boost and it can keep my stuff in the cargo area nice and dry - Excellent for a Convention Go-er. (As to what type of conventions, You can figure that out yourself). It holds my 39.5" by 22" by 19" tote perfectly fine and still has space for my roller derby gear and work computer, all under the hand-built cargo shade (Because you can't buy those anymore in 2019) - Take out the cargo shade I made and it'll hold a second of that same tote - And that's before folding down the rear seats! With the Bird, I was scared to death of its transmission going the way of the Explorer or Taurus, even with the fact the Bird was far lighter than the Exploder. This Focus has a 5-speed manual, so now the only thing I'm scared of is a $400-500 clutch replacement - A far cry from a $2000 transmission rebuild. 6 days after buying it, I found there's an UGLY blindspot on the left and right sides. I brushed a car on the freeway that was 20 over the limit (I was already 11 over). I had a new mirror on it the next business day to the tune of $30 and 20 minutes of work with 3 tools and the paint transfer cleaned up with a little nail polish remover. I went to McMinville, Oregon and back (a 165 mile drive each direction) on the same tank of fuel and still had ONE WHOLE gallon left in it - A freeway Average of just over 33 MPG. The owner I bought the car from said he'd driven it to Albany, Oregon and back DAILY for the year and a half he'd owned it (Based on paperwork), which is a 103 mile drive each way. The car just turned 150,000 this week after a drive to Eugene, Oregon and back (89 miles each way) and will turn 151,000 by the end of the week. The car was totaled some time prior to 2012 and the only indication there is is a complete lack of paint on the RF Fender from the body shop not preparing the fender for paint correctly - Something my body shop will fix for $350, which includes the sanding down and refinishing the right headlight. For little details, the interior is very well done, as Ford is known for, except one detail: That annoying fold-down armrest/cubby combination that will shatter your elbow whenever you need to use the Handbrake. The two worst parts about the car's interior are this car was not ordered with Cruise Control nor does it have a Tilt-wheel. I can pitch this car into a corner every bit as hard as I could the Thunderbird and it doesn't lose its footing, shifting is about as quick as you can expect from an old 5-speed on stock parts, and the steering is both responsive and relaxed. There is an inconsistent vibration in the wheel and there is definitely some noise when driving, but it's supposed to be an economy car, the Bird I just lost was a Personal Luxury car, so it isn't fair to make that comparison. However to say it's powerful is wrong - It's not in the least. It just feels spunky because it's got a clutch pedal. 130 Horses is laughable especially today, but for the time it was respectable enough. I've looked high and low and I've heard very few bad things about this era of Focus - The only things I really hear is the ignition cylinder fault (Seems though this has already been done, one of the keys is an Ilco replacement) and motor mounts tend to age, neither of which are that expensive to repair. Oh, and the Key Fobs are $10 per pair and program up in seconds. By the looks of it, a nice long Extension, Plug Socket and ratchet are all you need to do plugs in this car, MUCH simpler than the 3 Explorers, 3 Taurus, and Thunderbird I've driven and/or owned before it. This car seems to be designed with DIY repairs in mind, which is very unusual for a car Post 1996. At this point, I'm glad I decided on this car though My Mechanic suggested I just keep the Thunderbird. While I miss the freedom of laying down as much rubber as I bloody well pleased whenever I felt like it (along with the throaty roar of a V8), The fuel economy was a welcome change from 20MPG Combined and the cargo space makes the Thunderbird look pathetic. As for The Bird, I loved it the 6 months I had it and I would absolutely own another one if I could find one at a good price (and had a place to put the thing, the only reason I let the Bird go was I had no where to keep it AND the Focus, AND my truck), but Practicality took the lead here. I'm 27 and even though it was short lived, I can say I've had my fun car for my youth. Back to practical for me!

She is snowhite

Rhonda lyons, 09/17/2016
SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The car is a really great car comfortable and easy on gas fun to drive

12345...9