Used 2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-250 Super Duty model:

All around good truck
By Tex_972

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab XL 4dr Crew Cab LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Well I did not need a new truck, however always wanted a crew cab. Tranny went out on 2 cars in one day then had to go looking for something cheap and good. Found a use 2006 F250 SD crew Cab XL longbed with 5.4L 5 speed Auto with 3.73 rear. It was basic across the board no extra's at all, but the tow package. It was listed as 5000k cash and 100K. Was rough looking almost flat and bald tires, but ran great. Well It was what I needed and want. I knew it was a fixer upper so over the 2 weeks I went thru the truck. Put on new 285/70r17's and a 2 inch leveling kit. Then I put on some nerf bars, and a brush guard. Went thru the motor and was rock solid but the fuel pump was a few psi lower then should of been. dropped the tank and cleaned with a new pump. I bought a tuner kit to speed up the trans shift patterns and adjust the speedo. changed all the fluids and have not looked back. I use the mileage plus tune and it runs great. A trip from Texas to California and back I got 18 mpg avg. I run the mobile 1 5w20 with a zmax lube every 7k. I get normal 15 mpg around the DFW area. A few weeks back I found some good 2010 buckets with a jumper for 300 on sale. washed them up and bolted them in place of the bench seat. it feels like a new truck now. I have put a 100k on the truck and I think it can do another 100k easy. passes emission no problem and has had no issues. I did replace the dual deck head unit and put a touch screen with back up screen in place of it. With the tuner kit, if I need to pull I install the towing tuner. That 3v 5.4L will smoke the tires easy if I don't watch it. I can even spin the tires in 2nd gear going up the on ramp at 30 mph with 500 lbs in the back of the truck. The brakes on the truck are very good and will stop me quick even when I am pulling a 15k 5th wheel trailer. I am flipped over the price I paid and have had to spend on the truck over the years. 5k and 1k to get it where I wanted it. I have not put any money but the new seats, basic maintenance. When I did the level kit I did install 2.5 degree caster camber adjustments, since ford does not have adjustable ones. The phasers that adjust the timing do click if you don't use zmax, it will make it go away after 10 secs of use and never come back. I am glad this truck is all manual since a 10 year old truck would need some electric fixes. Manual windows and locks are fine with me. I forgot to add I added the cruise control package. I found a old steering wheel from a xlt 07 SD for 100 dollars. You need to use the clock spring and the pigtail under the airbag . then take your tune off and take to a dealer. takes a day at a dealer and they flash the ecm with the update. cost me a 100 dollars and 1 day at dealer her in Texas. Some dealers did not want to do, so I looked around. After I flash my tune and When I go long road trips my wife and I cruise with cruise control. Our children seat nice in the back seat no problems nice and big. I think I forgot to mention I added a cold air intake as well. I used the K&N cold air system for the year and model. No problems just clean it ever year. The only faults I have to say about the truck is air nobe control system the adjusts the temp in the Truck need to be replaced after 200k. Just got to junk yard and take off another truck for 30 bucks. I really can't speak bad about this truck, I have had nothing but joy driving it for 100k plus here in Texas

Mighty 30 valve V10 + manual trans = perfect combo
By Jasonw

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

The V10/manual trans combo wasn't listed in choices, mine is the Lariat FX4 crew cab 8' box. (The 5.4 is a good light duty truck engine, I wouldn't run one in a SD). I absolutely love my truck have had it for 4 years and the only thing I've had to do is ball joints and brakes, VERY reliable and capable. I bought it from a contractor and according to resale sites I could try to sell it for close to what I purchased it for, that makes me happy. The V10 and 6 speed manual are the only way to go in my opinion the truck will lope around all day in 6th gear even down to 25mph and still be able to pull mightily back to 60-65, where it runs around 1700 rpm's, very usable torque. I have had no problems pulling a 34' camper or trailer with 2 off-road jeeps on it, the manual trans really lets me use every rpm and the truck loves pulling right up to 5500 rpm before I grab another gear, surprisingly to me that 30 valve V10 really likes to spin. The truck gets good fuel mileage for what it is, I run 91 non-ethanol in it whenever I can and get around 12 all day, I would call myself a spirited driver, I like the skinny pedal and I love the wail of that V10. As far as mileage goes I got 13.7 on a trip from NY to FL with 5 adults in the cab and the bed full stuff for a 10 day vacation with a lot of 70-80 mph driving. I average 10.5 pulling, I live in western NY so its somewhat hilly, and the best I've seen is 15 mpg on the highway around home, but like I tell the uneducated sheeple at the pumps, I didn't buy it for the gas mileage. This is my second V10 and if I can continue find clean ones I will continue to run them until Ford can get their act together and put together a good diesel engine. I wish Ford still made the V10 because mine walks away from my brothers extended cab 6.2 F250, the V10 was given a bad rap by sheeple because of it's mileage and I thinks it's unfair, it's a vary capable and reliable alternative and I love mine, thanx for reading my ramblings cheers!

2006 F-250 6.8 liter V10
By jlay11

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab XL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Strange that the V10 isn't on the list of available engines.

I love my truck.
I've owned it for 5 years now, and its up to 256000 kms on it.
Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.
Only problem i had was the switch for the 4x4 crapped out.
cost $150 to fix. No biggy.
While the V10 does not get the best mileage, it makes up in dependability and power.
I can pretty much pull anything.
Tons of passing power.
Tons of room in the back seat.
My truck has the 100 liter gas tank, so its a little smaller than your average tank.
I would highly recommend this truck to anybody looking for a dependable full size truck.

Ford still can't build a truck
By Ryan

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Started out with noises from my motor the first few weeks of ownership and Ford could find no problems. When I'm on the highway and I hit a pothole or the road changes from asphalt to concrete my truck SHAKES like the wheels are going to fall off. It's so bad it makes my kids cry. The dealership broke the spark plugs off while trying to do a tune-up and wanted me to pay $2k to take the motor apart. Then the A/C went out and now only blows on high. Now my motor is locked up! I pull an 18' trailer with a ride on trencher and my truck struggles big time! This is my second ford truck that is an undependable, under powered, gas guzzling, safety risk that I wish upon nobody!

I like the exterior styling and room on the inside.

More pulling power, better gas mileage, durability throughout, a warranty that shows faith in their workmanship, and rear air to cool the passengers in the back seat.

Breaks down every other month
By Jazzmin9

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

The 6.0 liter diesel is a nightmare. The Canadian ones seem to be fine, but the American ones have lots of problems. Batteries die, fuel injection problems, stuttering engine. If you're going to buy a warranty - purchase the Ford one only. We made the mistake of purchasing the dealership one and we've had lots of out of pocket expenses. I can't go two months without something going wrong.