Used 2012 Ford F-150 SuperCrew Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford F-150 SuperCrew Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Fix or repair daily
By disappointed

2012 Ford F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 4dr SuperCrew Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

Avoid it, too many problems. First six months, dash instrument cluster squeeked, 6+ trips to fix. Two pumps died, high pressure fuel pump, brake pump. Electrical invertor died (no 12v power to back seat). Radio spikes in volume and not able to daignose it because its intermittant. faulty Switch in shift lever killed battery. timing cover seals leak 2-3k fix. When it works, it's great!

Bought it because I got a great deal!
By Phil

2012 Ford F-150 SuperCrew XL 4dr SuperCrew Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I'm a Toyota man. I have owned many Toyota's throughout my life and have gotten exceptional miles and reliability out of them. So why did I buy an F-150? Because I got a $25,000 truck for $15,000. So here is a review from a guy who never intended to buy an F150. First, what a pleasure to drive. Quiet, powerful, corners great, takes bumps really well. I test drove a Tundra just before I bought this, and the F-150 is so much more awesome to drive. Second, the backseat space is amazing on the Super Crew. My son, at the age of 13, is pushing 6 feet tall. He loves it. My daughter does too. I would not feel bad at all taking adults in the backseat of this car. Stretch out those legs. Tundras with the extra large 4-doors are very hard to find, but Super Crew F-150's are everywhere and there was not a crazy upcharge for them like Tundras. But when you want to bring more gear, just fold up those back seats! Nothing is in your way, not even seat brackets. This beats Toyota hands down. In fact, I watched video where Toyota just started copying the F150 in this regard. Finally, I didn't think I would like the tall bed, but I love it. I just have lots of gear (duck decoys) that I throw back there. It absorbs it all. And since I have a Tonneau cover it is really important to have the deep bed. I only wish I got the tailgate with the pull-out step and handle. I have the EcoBoost. If you live in a climate with a lot of moisture, you may want to stay away. Fortunately, I live in a desert environment. The jury is still out on this motor, but I was slightly relieved to hear of a guy who already got 300,000 miles on his. Gas mileage...better than your average truck, but nothing like advertised. Keep in mind though...this thing tows 11,300 lbs! Will be nice to know when I buy a camper. I may actually be an F-150 guy now. Well, with only 50k miles on this truck, I will be for the next 10 years for sure.

F150 xlt 4 years old several drivers
By MPR

2012 Ford F-150 SuperCrew XLT 4dr SuperCrew Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

These trucks are a great value if you get the right packages and buy at the right time of year. I got mine as an XLT super crew, cloth split 60/40 front with the extra bed liner spray for around $31,000. The super crew is huge - very spacious and comfortable.. I added a folding hard cover for the bed and it has worked out great. I love the split front seats with all the storage space - many compartments. The sync works well, all steering wheel controls for sync, phone and radio are very convenient. The handling and road comfort are excellent. The only negative is the turning radius is not very tight, it is hard to turn around in tight spaces. I recommend adding a rear bumper sonic detector. For maintenance - I am very picky - I do all my own maintenance, use synthetic oils and good filters. The 5.0 coyote engine holds 7.7 liters of oil, which is a big increase over prior years. I change it about every 7,000 miles, but it can easily go over 10,000 miles before the computer alerts you to change it. Power is good but not earth shaking. Ok to move my daughter into college on a long road trip. The mileage is ok at 18 combined, up to 24 highway only, around 13-14 city, I expected better, from other reviews, glad I didn't go for the turbo v-6. Rotating the tires is very important because the front wheel turning radius is not great and the front wheels do scrub a bit, leading to noticeable edge wear on the rubber. The spare is full size but a steel wheel, so to rotate that into the mix you need to also have a mechanic swap wheels. It is worth it for the cost savings on tires. NOTE; The engine oil dipstick has a very short handle and is extremely difficult to reach - seems like a simple fix, but it's annoying. There is NO dipstick to check the trans fluid, it can only be accessed underneath the truck. Checking level is impossible, but it is only a once every 100,000 mile issue to change it.. Biggest NEGATIVE: The coolant system started to leak at 76,000 miles - upper radiator hose. I thought I could fix it - wrong. This is a HORRIBLE DESIGN! The hose is not simple - it is two parts plus a plastic tee connector - dealer wants $517 to replace, my local mechanic only wants $347. BUT the parts are back-ordered due to high demand. Many of these leak about 75,0000 miles, it is a national problem.. Apparently it is a total system with the upper and lower hoses connected to each other thru multiple tees and valves - what a rat's nest! Someone should be fired over this. Other than this problem, the truck has been trouble free for 5 years and 76,000 miles with my various teenagers driving it too. That is why it gets 4 stars instead of 5. I would buy one again, but I hope they simplify radiator hose design. if it ain't broke, don't fix it - they forgot that concept.

Great truck
By Jessica rozell

2012 Ford F-150 SuperCrew King Ranch 4dr SuperCrew Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

Extremely roomy and safe for a family

Sixth F150 and more to come!
By Chris Blice

2012 Ford F-150 SuperCrew XLT 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

The 2012 F150 is another great version of the best truck in the world. Here at almost 100,000 miles it is still going strong!