Skip to main content
$35,510

Save as much as $1,122
Select your trim:
12345...12

We have a limited number of reviews for the 2022 Explorer, so we've included reviews for other years of the Explorer since its last redesign.

Pros
Cons
2 out of 5 stars

Life Long Ford Owner

J Tolliver, 03/30/2022
2022 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

I purchased my 2022 Ford Explorer Limited at the last of the month in March of 2022. I had been looking for one for some time, but with supply limits it had been a struggle. I held out for the one I wanted - White, no sunroof without having to order it. I had driven a 2015 Ford Explorer XLT prior to buying this one. I'd say they do not have the quality that I would have expected in the Limited as far as comfort. The 2015 was a better ride and had a more quality feel to it. I had driven the 2022 Explorer Limited for one week and the wrench light showed up, then immediately after that the service engine light lite up. I had no cruse control either. Luckily I was able to get it to the dealership with no problems. With less than 200 miles on the Explorer, I now have to wait (parts supply issues) for a part for Explorer. Who knows how long that will take. I am really disappointed. We also own a 2017 Ford F250 and have spent a ton of money on the "death wobble" issue. Not to mention the frozen door latch and lock issues and the fact that if we plug in to the USB port the truck is prone to not start. As the review title stated "Life Long Ford Owner" may be coming to a quick end if they don't step up their game. I am FRUSTRATED!!!

3 out of 5 stars

Great features but build quality is lacking

Sawgrass Road Ranger, 02/12/2021
2021 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

As someone who has driven a 2020 Dodge Durango, GMC Acadia and the Ford Explorer over the past year, I got a pretty good comparison between the different models. The Ford Explorer just reached 30,000 miles around a month ago. First the good. I think the Explorer handles nice, the Ecoboost 2.3L engine gives you enough power and the fuel economy was pretty good, I averaged around 26Mpg on the highway cruising around 75Mph. I think Ford is definitely ahead both GM and FCA in technology and features. The LED headlights were great, the Adaptive Cruise with Lane Keeping Assist keep the vehicle in the lane and a comfortable distance from cars ahead. I really like the Auto Hold feature which holds the brake pedal at stop lights, the kick to open tailgate I used quite a bit, the ambient lighting was a nice feature. Overall, the vehicle is definitely well thought out with nice technology features throughout. Now for the bad. There is little mystery that Ford was having major quality control issues building this vehicle, with significant numbers requiring rework at their IL plant. This vehicle is a all new design and we all know cars are known to have issues in the first couple of years of a new model. Mine was no exception. I had random gremlins pop up on the vehicle. Here is the list: Auto Hold would fault out at random. It would then recover on its own with no explanation. The backup camera started working intermittently, then mostly not working at all. The camera quality is definitely poor, especially at night. I could barely see my driveway at night when backing up when it was working. It was so snowy and grainy at night it was practically unusable. The GPS on the car would randomly stop working. Looking at built in Navigation system, it was comical seeing that I was driving over water and out to see or into the Everglades. I just got used to seeing a GPS with a Red circle and a line through it at random. I have always been neutral on the SYNC system Ford uses in their vehicles. It was never stellar but never bothered me much either. This one uses SYNC Version 3. This one however is painfully slow. I'm not talking about nit picky slow. I'm talking sloooooooow. Countless times I had started the car and left the parking lot, and was literally driving down the road, and the system was still booting up. It is obvious the system CPU is completely inadequate to run this system. Bluetooth system. Since travel a lot on the road, I transition in and out of the car on the phone a lot. The Bluetooth on this car would most of the time pick up the call and transfer it to the car system, but you had no audio. You would have to disconnect and then reconnect the call most of the time. It was clunky, unreliable and frustrating. Compare than to the GM cars I have driven, and the Bluetooth transfers calls seamlessly, every time. And now the worst part. The 10 speed transmission on the Explorer is brand new and untested. I thought it was a bit busy but mostly competent, although a tad sluggish and reluctant to up shift in Normal mode. Its main function in life is to keep the fuel economy respectable, and it accomplishes that. It has one major problem however. It is notoriously unreliable. The transmission on my car started making grinding and howling noises around 27,000 miles. Mostly in the lower gears, 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The problem got progressively worse over the next 3000 miles. At around 30,000 miles on a chilly day (upper 30's), the car gave me a Transmission Fault and refused to go into gear. It eventually recovered after I let the engine run and drove with its usual noises. I drove it another 300 miles or so and it got progressively worse until it sounded like metal crunching and was dropping out of gear and slipping. It basically had a complete transmission failure at 30,000 miles. Since this vehicle was a company issue and I would have swapped it out at around 36k miles, I ended up switching early to another vehicle. So, I just wanted share my experience with it here. I drive mostly highway miles and the miles reflected about a year worth of driving. My personal opinion is that the transmission would have lasted fewer miles in typical city driving and I never towed anything with the vehicle and it mostly carried only myself on board, so minimal passenger load. I hope Ford figures out the issues, especially the transmission problem. Until they do, I can't recommend anyone buying this vehicle or owning it out of warranty. These transmission issues are common and well known. Hope this helps for anyone considering putting this vehicle on their shopping list.

Serious issues

Jarrod , 02/22/2021
2021 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

Hit 660 miles Feb 9th, check engine light comes on with every warning the truck could possibly give. Grinding noise, steering wheel shaking and lost all acceleration. Coasted to almost stop and truck abruptly stops and completely shuts off. Will not restart. Towed to dealer they couldn't find anything wrong. Hit 890 miles today and boom exact same issues. Recorded it this time. Truck towed to different dealer due to where it broke down. Not happy

3 out of 5 stars

Lots of BUGS, but generally a Good truck.

M King, 04/29/2021
2021 Ford Explorer Limited Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 10A)

High level takeaway- it’s fine. Comfortable, plenty of power when you need it, lots of room for a family of 5 road tripping and the hybrid system gets decent mileage. It’s not “fun” to drive, but it’s comfortable and confident on the road. With more than 2,500 miles in 2 months the average mpg has settled at 25mpg of both highway and local driving. I drive in the eco mode 90% of the time. The hybrid function feels clunky compared to the standard turbo 4 or the 6. Not a big deal, and it’s nice when the engine shuts down for a few miles of the low speed/low rpm driving. Cons - I returned the truck 3 times in the first 3 weeks I had it. It spent 18 of its first 30 days at the dealership. They finally figured out the amp was bad and cutting all audio (gps, radio, phone, etc). The electronics have issues occasionally- I’ve learned to never plug in my phone until the onboard computer has warmed up - and just stop working. It’s like an old PC that you have to pull over, shut down, wait and then restart. Pro- The seats are very comfortable, lots of room fir the kids and adults can sit in back without a problem. Storage is better than our MDX, even though they are similar in size. Conclusion- I wouldn’t buy it again, but it will be good for a couple of years and then I will happily trade in for a plug in hybrid. And if they don’t have the bugs of those worked out yet, I’d just go with the turbo 4 Limited or platinum.

First 1800 miles

Back to a Ford, 02/06/2022
2022 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

2022 XLT with 202 pkg, All weather mats, Tow and bench seat. I had to order it. Arrived 13 weeks later. Paid MSRP plus tax only which I thought was fair considering the times and there really isn’t much markup in an Explorer anyway. I traded in a 2015 Toyota 4Runner Trail and got fair money for that. I’m very happy with my Explorer and like the handling with the bias towards the rear drive. Kind of BMW ish for $25k less. Snow and ice are no sweat in Normal setting, even better with Slippery. Comfort is great in the plastic-covered seats and they look durable. I wish they were perforated. Here in CO I keep the seat and steering wheel heaters on most all the time in winters and both are great. Ride is OK, could be a little more Lexus. Quiet, same. Brakes are excellent with good traffic feel. Radio is good, maybe I won’t upgrade the speakers. The instrument panel screen has become intermittent, probably related to cold weather and a dealer service appointment is six weeks away. No screen is very annoying, particularly if you are using the adaptive cruise which is very good by the way. This is a bummer. I knew Ford uses sketchy parts from other purchases (2014 F150 4WD XL, 2006 Explorer XLT) so it was my gamble. Know that I owned the 4Runner for six years and 103,000 miles and it never, ever broke anything. Just routine maintenance. Same with my 2019 Tundra. The Ford had what I needed though. I do love the way this car looks and drives. Overall about 22 mpg so far. I think it runs better on premium but it’s hard to be sure. Power with the turbo 4 cyl is great, fastest car I’ve owned except the exhaust sound will remind you that it’s not a V8.

12345...12