Used 2005 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

2005 This model year was defective, buyer beware
By Sully

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV new and babied it, never missed an oil change only replaced coils and it was comfortable, had power and was utilitarian. Then at 80K miles it started misfiring and I was told it needed a tuneup and new spark plugs, but that came with a warning. This particular model was known to have the plugs cease into the engine block and break off when they needed to be changed. But I was limping around at this point anyway so I told my mechanic to proceed, low and behold my worst nightmare, plug breaks off. OK so since Ford is aware of this and has issued a notice, you are steered toward a special tool that was created to get the broken plug out, only in my case it didn't work, so they have to take the engine off the mounts to get the broken plug out, OK $2K later I figure if it's good from here on I will deal with it, still loved the truck. But soon after that Cam issues arose and a couple of mechanics said trade it in, not worth the time and expense to fix. I agreed after further research this model year and a few around it, suffer from this poor engine design and Ford should have recalled it, but they did not. Now I am part of a class action suit to try to at least recoup some of my repair costs.

Never again.
By Frank Gregory

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We thought when we dropped 10,000 dollars on a 2005 Expedition with 88,000 miles, we had a steal. The only thing stolen is our bank account. The 5.4 triton is a nightmare to work on. I've actually been refused service at nonFord garages to work on it. Wow. The transmission went out over a year ago, and we're still having issues with the Ford replacement. Add the coil packs, and TWO driver window replacements (cheap ass clips) and we're just getting started. I will NEVER buy another Ford after this, and this turd can't leave my driveway fast enough.

Steady and Dependable
By Pete Pinckney

2005 Ford Expedition Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Bought it new, 5/31/2005. It was manufactured in March of that year, and had maybe 5 miles on it when they let me take it for a test drive.

96,700 miles later, and they tell me it has a sludge problem, and is burning oil. I am very sad today, because it’s almost like having to put a dog to sleep. We’re going to try to extend its life, but I think we both know it’s time to let go and move on. I’ve never kept a vehicle this long, and this is my 12th.

Pros: Good ride, comfortable seats, plenty of room, retractable third row was used four times in 13 years, but it was really nice to have. I can haul 4x8’ sheets of anything, just tie down the rear hatch with a bungee. My bike fits upright in the back when I take the front wheel off and bolt the front fork down. Effortless towing, 6000 lbs capacity, but I’ve never towed more than 1200 lbs, maybe 10 miles at a time, once or twice a year. Oh yeah, I LOVED the cashmere paint. Same color offered on the Navigator, May have been my top reason for buying it. High quality paint job, too.

Cons: Too high off the ground for all the old people and dogs. Weird electrical glitch caused motor to shut down for no reason at 40 mph. Ford never owned up to it, but they fixed it without telling me as some kind of a recall item. Same was true of the Heat/AC control panel-got it replaced three times. Heated/ventilated seats were great while they worked, but Ford dealer wouldn’t fix them—they wanted $700+ for replacement seats. The sunroof leaked, and again, the dealership wouldn’t fix it, so I figured it out myself.

In fact, my primary complaint about this truck is the Ford dealership, and the president/GM is a friend. They DO NOT want to see you anymore after your new vehicle is over four years old.

This is my last Ford. I’ve also owned a Ranchero, a Mercury Cougar, two Mustangs, and a Thunderbird. Two of those cars turned out to be the worst lemons I ever owned. This
Expedition has been great, but it’s been because of MY extra effort maintaining it, and staying ahead of known problems.

I do not regret buying this truck. But I won’t buy another, and I won’t buy showroom new again, either. The vehicles I’m considering to replace it are a used Escalade, Murano, Infiniti QX60, or Honda Odyssey.

Good vehicle so far.
By Paul Harding

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

There has been a lot of negative things said about this vehicle, however, I have not experienced any of them.

awsome so far
By Jeremy

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I just bought my wife a 2005 with the 5.4 3v dont knox much about them other than the plug issue but the champions 7989 fixed that it has 130,556 and runs great so fair