Used 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Silverado 1500 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Throttle Body failed 2 times in 3 years

slamamama15, 02/18/2013
LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased this truck brand new Oct 2009 with the heavy duty towing package Z71 4x4. We had to put a new engine in the truck Oct 2010, after that problems continued. Dec 2010 the throttle body failed as I was driving down the highway, Stablizer, engine light, traction, lights flashed, door locks when crazy and just stopped in the middle of the interstate. Yesterday 2.17.2013 it proceeded to do it again on the interstate. Second time in 50,000 miles we have had to replace the throttle body on our fairly new truck. We have other problems including 3 window motors, mirror, rough idling, & transamission rough when switching gears. All the work has bene done at the dealers

Last Truck I will need to buy

lrdillon, 01/06/2015
LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used with 60K miles. I now have over 90K. I have only replaced the battery and tires. Runs like a dream so far, tows great and very comfortable. Hope to baby this for the rest of my life, I just retired. With regular maintenance I have had no mechanical problems with a small V8.

2009 Chevy Lemon

pavehwk, 11/06/2011
XFE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased this truck new with 500 miles on it. Now I have 19500 miles on the truck and I am having the engine pulled out due to a bad design. I went in for some minor body work (2nd bow tie) and the check engine light came on. The oil pressure was all over the board. I had 1000 miles before it need it next oil change. So while i was in there i had them do a oild change. I was told that there was a 1 1/2 quarts of oil left in the block. I was then told that they need to put a baffel in the bottom of the pan. This was after taking the truck in 4 times to do an oil consuption check (it failed). I had to wait to get fixed due to having 5 other trucks getting the samething done.

So far.....great

freeflowin, 10/02/2011
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this new in 2009. My very first new vehicle ever. I bought it during Chevy's big rebate program and it was well worth it. I have the LT2 with leather bench seats. I truck rides down the highway so unbelievably comfortable that I forget I'm in a truck. It is smoother then my moms Cadillac and way smoother then my BMW or my wife's Liberty. I have 38k miles on and the tires are still almost new and it hasn't burnt a drop of oil. Working in the oil fields it has been dependable on ALL road conditions from the mountains of CO and UT to the ice sheets of ND, it has been great. When I had a company Ford F-150 XLT, after my 1100 mile drive to the rig,my back killed the next day, not this

Don't buy one

aggieof10, 01/20/2013
XFE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Within a month of buying this truck, all of the power locks went out. Chevy replaced them for free since it was under warranty. Then my rear power window stopped working, transmission is spotty, cant decide when to shift, tpms comes on at random times telling me my tires are flat (they arent). Put groceries in the back seat one day, and the pocket on the back of drivers seat ripped out. Turns out, they aren't sewn in at the factory, someone is there with a staple gun putting them on. Wind caught the door last week, and pulled the hinges away from the body, now the door grinds on the body work every time I open it. I am absolutely furious with this truck. Chevy used to mean something.

Enjoying my time with my 09

greg graham, 06/26/2010
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I've had my LTZ for 13 months and have been generally pleased. Mine is loaded with every option but the NAV. I have been pleased with the overall quality thus far with no issues to note. I'm averaging 15.5 mpg which is great for this vehicle. I love the dash lay out with wood inserts. I do wish the Bose system was a center point system but as it is I'm enjoying it. The 5.3 has good power. I've added so much aftermarket to the truck to enhance my ride. 6 in running boards, mud guards,bug deflector, lift kit for the front (I hated the lower front end) now it looks level across the entire truck,rear wheel well liners, recon light bar for under tailgate, db exhaust system(cool)under seat storage etc.

Z71, 6 Speed Auto, Cheap(er)

zjones, 09/03/2009
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Way better than my 2007 Classic 5.3 Silverado was. Smoother faster stronger more options better gas mileage. AFM works just fine. The 6 speed automatic is about 8 years late but now that it's here it was worth the wait. It's a much better unit than the old 4 speed. Frame much stronger, bed is mounted right up next to the cab now and when you jam your 4 wheeler in there it won't bend the top of the bed anymore. It drives WAY better than the old ones...I had to zig zag at 70 mph to miss a stupid deer and the rollover and brake system work well. The new dual zone climate control actually works now too. 13000 miles in 3 months because I love to drive it.

Run or pull out your wallet!!!

N. Peterson, 05/05/2017
LS 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck with less than 100k on it. Started this loud chirping almost immediately. Two mechanics that I trust looked at it and both recommended new engines. Apparently Chevy had major design flaws on this engine and did nothing more than issue a service bulletin. I've heard people anywhere from 20,000 miles and up having to swap these engines! Totally unacceptable. After a life with Chevy, we're finally going to make the switch to another company...

Should have gone with my gut..

offroadgoonie, 08/21/2014
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I'm going to lay it straight. This was a solid truck for the first few months of owning it. Owned this for about a year and since purchasing, I've replaced the engine twice, had a transmission give out, and the heads get completely destroyed. "only" 72k miles on the truck, 2k miles on the new engine and about 1k miles on the transmission. Looks wise, this truck is flawless. It's a crew cab, although it might as well be an extended cab with the leg space.. but the interior is clean and looks amazing. I'm mainly concerned because I was told how great gmc/chevy is and how Ford and Dodge suck.. ya ok. Tried it and you've failed so I'm going back to my reliability. Piece of crap. No thank you!

HORRIBLE PRODUCT!!!

John King, 05/28/2018
LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

READ CONSUMER REVIEWS! So far, we've had this truck less than 6 months; just spent $2600 in repairs last week...Then drove to FLORIDA and on the way back DIED on the interstate stranded from home. Costed over $500 to TOW to the dealership we bought it from HERNDON CHEVROLET, LEXINGTON, SC and so far they've assessed $6000 to repair! We purchased it for $20K less than 6 months ago; dealership wants to give us $13K if truck is ALL REPAIRED for a TRADE IN VALUE! HIGH WAY ROBBERY!!!!!!! I HATE this CHEVROLET!!!

Chevy LIES about quality improvements!

Chevy JUNK!!!!!!!!!!, 05/28/2010
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

It was fresh off the dealer floor on 7/3/09. Has been my secondary vehicle for a year now. I just hit 5,100 miles and all the lifters now need to be replaced. The service tech states that the oiling system oils too much so it blows by the lifters blows out tons of white smoke out of the exhaust constantly. To make matters even more disappointing is the lack of a quality and robust 6 speed transmission, it has no clue how to pick a gear to stay in it. While driving if you make it downshift it will downshift and bring the engine to "Redline" or 6,000 rpm and stay there even if you take your foot off the gas pedal for at least 5 seconds.

Not what I was expecting from GM

joel1235, 09/08/2012
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased the truck used in November 2010 with 17K on it and the fun started about a week later. First my battery needed replacement, but then it spent a few days at the dealer looking for a popping noise they never found and is still happening. Next was a rough idle/check engine light. It was fixed a week later. Around 35K the transfer case needed replaced. At the dealer another week. This week the rough idle/check engine light thing started again(40K). An independent shop told me it was the same trouble code as last time, and that the problem was with the piston rings, and I may need a new motor. I wish I could go on, but I'm running out of space.

Classy Truck

Bill, 04/24/2017
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second Silverado. My previous truck was an 07 LT 4WD extended cab. only real problem I had with that was the tire pressure sensors. Never worked right. Traded it in on my 09 LTZ 4WD and I couldn't be happier. This truck is at home on a night on the town or plowing through the mud on mountain roads of North Carolina. Had 65K miles when I got it and am at 110K now and still flawless. No mechanical issues whatsoever. Good power, great ground clearance and the ride is smooth, quiet and comfortable. My only complaint is the cost of routine maintenance. $400 to change spark plugs? Seriously? From now on routine maintenance will be done by my local mechanic and NOT at the dealership. I read about some of the problems others are having and I am not having any of those issues. Maybe I am just lucky. Hopefully this will be the last truck I will ever buy.

First Chevy Truck

Bill, 11/06/2010
LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Owned Fords all my life and liked them. Used up a 99 Ford F 150 with Triton motor and needed another full size truck. Looked at all of them and decided to try my first Chevy and at 10,000 miles I'm glad I did. The new Chevy V8 with 8 to 4 cylinder technology and 6 speed automatic is getting me 20 mpg or better. Blown away by the gas mileage I'm getting with aggressive tires. Love the exhaust note of the engine. Far superior motor and transmission to my last F150 (Triton V8) and much better gas mileage. Very good ride in general and great truck for towing. The manual mode of the 6 speed transmission saves your brakes and the "tow" mode changes the shift points for better power.

Fantastic Truck and Amazing Value

TJ, 01/14/2009
LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Some trucks did one thing better than the Silverado but none did everything as well. The technology involved with engine is amazing and the eight to four cylinder shift is not only seamless but transparent to the driver. Having small children I really appreciate the safety features. Although the truck was just picked up I have owned foreign full size trucks and the initial quality is every bit as good if not better.

09 Silverado crew cab 5.3L 4WD

ZRMan, 02/12/2009
LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

So far I really like this truck. The ride is smooth and quiet. My snowmobile trailer, which pulled hard with my old Silverado, seems to pull much easier with the 6 speed in tow/haul mode. I don't have all the gear hunting and hard shifts. The bluetooth is a nice feature but I would think it would hurt their OnStar sales.

Great Ride

Dale S, 05/02/2009
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I've had the 09 LT for three months and have 10K on it already. Putting another 3K on it next week. Ride is very good and the Z71 package gives it more stability in high wind conditions. The 6 sp auto or manual transmission is fantastic. Pulled a loaded 18' trailer through a blizzard and never had to touch the brakes in traffic, just went to manual and controlled speed with the touch of a button. The only other vehicle I can put as many comfortable miles on is my Mustang GT, but the truck rides much better. Keeping it at 65, 19.5 mpg not unusual.

Chevy Silvrado 1500 WT great value!

GMK, 08/01/2009
Work Truck 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab WT with 4.8 V* for under $20K. I don't think there is a similar value anywhere currently. Truck handles like a dream. WT trim is surprisingly nice. Decent stereo, satellite radio and onstar are great additions. Interior is simple and nicely designed. High quality for a work truck. I average 18.5 MPG which is amazing to me given the size and capability of this truck. I tow a race car and this truck is more than capable to tow my 4000 lb rig over mountain passes. Sale price of $19988 made this a no brainer for me.

Good Truck

Bob, 01/16/2010
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Took this truck from the dealer and went on a vacation to Tennessee. Put 2300 miles on it with no issues. Average fuel economy was 18.5, which is not to bad for this size vehicle with the 5.3

Good Truck with issues

Who Dat, 02/26/2010
LT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has 4000 miles on it and I have had some minor problems so far. One chrome door handle broke off, the fuel cell indicator failed, and the dealer had to install noise reduction tape on all four doors. Besides the inconvenience of going back for repairs it has been a good truck. I hope the long term reliability is good, may have to get an extended warranty. We have six 09 Silverados at my work site, all have had some type of problems. Not sure if I would purchase another GM product at this time. The cloth seats are a lint nightmare to clean.

Probably My Last GM Product

elucas78, 09/19/2011
LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned Chevy trucks for the last 14 years and kept coming back, until now. We were looking for a half ton crew cab and found this 2009 used in April 2011. Within 2 weeks of buying it, the Service Air Bag light came on. Took it to the dealer a couple times and the computer needed reset and a sensor needed replaced. It happened again, but this time the instrument panel needed replaced. Then last month the engine started ticking. Took it in on August 29th to find out it needs a new cam and lifters. This is not what I expected on a 2 year old vehicle with 35,000 miles. Well it has been 3 weeks and I still have yet to get it back. So, this will more than likely be my last GM product.

Power Door Locks

silverado_sd, 08/01/2012
LS 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

The right rear door does not work either automatically when the shifter is taken out of park, or with the key fob, or from the drivers door control panel. It must be locked and unlocked manually, and there is no place I can find that explains what the cause could be, and can't get much help from GM unless I take it to the dealership to have it troubleshot and repaired, instead of letting me do it myself. I am affraid that the other doors will eventually end up doing the same thing. Also the brakes shimmy when going down hill and pulsate too.

Nice but deadly!!

Jack1012, 09/07/2018
LS 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

It's georgous but unsafe, due too stabiltrack turning ingine off over minor issues. I will never buy another Chevy or gm vehical!

So far so good

David, 04/13/2009
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I ordered this truck w the 6.2, max pack, and love it. Plenty of power w a lot of power. It is a pleasure to drive and with all kinds of extras. I have been a Ford man most of my life but after months of research I ended up with this truck. It is just what I wanted. Don't concern yourself with gas mileage because its a truck but go w what you want and you will be happy. Gas prices go up and down. If this what drive you then get a motorcycle.

Fun Driving the LTZ Silverado

Ron Jackson, 07/05/2009
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Love driving this vehicle, just recently returned back from a road trip. From Virginia to Atlanta, GA. Loved every min of driving the Silverado. I let my Son drive for a while and I enjoyed the back seat. Nice and quiet. I went to sleep for about about 2 hours. Not only does it look good with it's sleek styling, but it drives great. We have a JAGUAR and a Jeep Grand Cherokee, the Silverado is the Road Vehicle. I am a Chevy Man.

Bad Transmission

T Swindell, 07/30/2009
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Loved the truck when first bought, but noticed occasionally that the transmission shifted hard. With only 3400 miles, decided to take a trip to the keys from southeast ga. Before we reached Miami, the truck was jumping in and out of gear. We stopped at 8:30 pm to check fluid lever, there was no fluid. Called onstar, they sent a tow truck that never showed up. Had to rent a room, find a dealership to replace rear seal. Continued on trip, on return same thing happened, continued on refilling fluid. It is now in the shop getting rebuilt. So now I have a brand new truck with rebuilt transmission. Have only made 2 payments. Am I thrilled or what!

get one

bryan, 08/11/2009
LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I just bought this truck and I am very happy with it. I wanted a Dodge ram originally and all my peers said go with Chevy so I did and got a great deal and I actually am happy that I did I really enjoy this truck so far. Hopefully it lasts me 200,000 and then I will be Chevy for life.

Just Got it..

Joe, 09/28/2009
LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Just bought my 2009 Silverado and I have enjoyed it a lot so far. I had a Sierra previous to this truck and this truck is very quiet compared to my old one and this one even rides smoother. I am happy with the truck and hope it is as reliable as my old GM product.

Silverado cloth interior stinks

ms, 10/31/2009
LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Having 19 pickups since 1989 as a sales rep on the road, my new 2009 silverado with cloth stinks< I am in and out a lot, one hour out and one hour in the cold north plains states. I've had leather, cloth heated seats and tons of miles in both. This new 09 cloth is terrible for stains, lint. You must use a lint roller every week to keep it even half presentable. 3300 miles on this one look worse than my last Chevy with 170,000 miles! 6 chevys in the family and this will be my last if they don't admit they have a problem, which they have but only come up with a self admitted $2400 cloth replacement kit that will do the same thing.

Good truck

Chris G, 10/29/2009
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Upgraded from an 08 2LT Silverado into this 09 LTZ and love it! My truck currently has 9,000 miles and have had no problems whatsoever. The only thing i am a little mad about is this truck rattles alot when going over bumps which my 08 didn't. Maybe it was built on a friday?

Tough Truck

BowTie4Life, 11/23/2009
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I recently purchased my new '09 LTZ 4WD because I wanted a new truck and Chevy had excellent incentives. I fell in love with the Silverado; It is one beautiful and tough vehicle. Test drove the new F-150, was nice but WAY under-powered and over-priced. The 5.3 Vortec w/6-speed auto is an amazing powertrain. My Silverado has the Automatic 4x4 with the factory 20" rims & Z60 handling suspension package, not the Z71 package. Got the white exterior w/Ebony leather interior. The truck handles and drives remarkably well, but it is not made for off road use like the Z71. Drove the Tundra, very disappointe, doesn't compare to the Silverado. I recommend this truck, so far no issues.

Dissappointed

Dissapointed, 01/12/2010
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Wanted to buy "American",Traded a Ridgeline(mistake),I noticed the quality difference right away, if I could have taken it back a week later I would have,they(GM)offer you $500 to wave the 60 day return option(now I know why).The Bluetooth works sometimes (AT BEST), the new 6 speed transmission is "Jerky" and shifts noticeably more than it should, at 9700 miles the brakes squeak,the speakers vibrate,the cloth seats are extremely cheap material. I had 36000 on the Ridgeline when I traded and it was a much tighter vehicle. I will either go back to a Ridgeline or other Manufacturer soon. Very disappointed in the Silverado. LT2 ZR1 CREW CAB

Good Truck

Doc M, 01/31/2010
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

This is my third Chevy truck after an '82 and an '89. Very competent trucks, and I hope this one proves as reliable as my '89 and my brother's '01.

194,000 MI

Heidi R, 10/17/2020
LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my Chevy Silverado that had a 5.3 vortec j series motor in it, at 194,000 plus miles the valves were collapsing I had to get another motor. Bought it used October 2019 by August 2020 I have replaced wheel hubs a frame bushings and the motor into a 5.3 k series I'll have a new truck by the time I'm done.

Fantastic

Brian Richardson , 01/27/2021
XFE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Awesome power and ride, it drives better than my cadillac!

51050