Used 1998 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Lumina

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

That's a Lumina?!
By kd0bep

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ 4dr Sedan

We have had this car for nearly ten years and never had any major problems until we happened to get an oil change while at Wal Mart and they managed to drop something in the engine while doing it. When we drove the car from the store it started to make a clinking sound. When we went back they told us to prove it! So we took it to a mechanic who said it would be simply cheaper to replace the engine than to fight over it. Well he ended up putting the engine in wrong and it died out and needed another one. It becomes an even sadder story from there. The car still runs but it just isn't the same. It currently sits at 176,000 miles.

I have one with the 3800 which has a lot of pickup. Most people think the car is pretty lame until you hit the gas and turn up the stereo. The stereo on the car is unbelievable for stock. I also love the quad exhaust and spoiler that just hint at the little secrets this car hides!

I don't think this car needs many improvements. It is a basic car with a little kick. I would buy another Lumina if I could to replace this one but they are aging cars and hard to find under 100,000 miles but if you do find one, buy it while you still can.

I love this car
By Michael S. Terrell

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

There is nothing wrong with our lumina, yeah she has had a few engine mishaps in her time but we drive her all the time. She's 12 years old and over 170,000 miles but still runs great. I don't need her for speed just get me where I'm going. Great on gas for long distances. Drove her from NY to Texas, then to California a few times, Arizona also. My wife wants an rv, that's fine. I plan on a new Chevy Lumina someday. She needs a wash and wax, and in/out cleaning but still looks great, rides great. Boo yahh!

comfortable riding and driving, trunk space is great also

need to find brighter lights than offered, tried a few halogens and not as bright as some of the newer sports cars or trucks and CLEAR headlight covers..those opaque covers cut back on the brightness,especially on really dark roads

It Keeps On Going
By ddrhj

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

This is my first and only car, but it has been a great one. After 115,000 miles, it's reliability and performance are still wonderful. The fuel mileage has hovered around 30 miles/gallon over the life of the car and the maintenance has been extremely minimal.

It's true fuel economy and reliability. This car has never let me down besides a couple of battery issues over it's lifetime.

Visibility is somewhat poor for shorter drivers. Clearing the back windshield of ice or fog takes a long time due to air circulation pattern.

98 lumina
By Terry

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Great car, most trouble free, great gas mileage(21-24 town,32-34highway), most comfortable car for traveling coast to coast we have ever owned. Jan. 2010 timing chain cover gasket gave out,will fix and drive. This car now has 203,000 miles on it. Other than the gasket we have only had to fix the battery, starter and alternator.

reliable, comfortable cruiser
By Pete

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Bought this as a used, first car for a new driver due to good crash test ratings. Over the 5 yrs we have had it, I am impressed with the comfortable, quiet ride and high overall reliability and low operating costs.. Highly recommended..

split bench seats

exterior mirrors can be larger