Used 2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews - 116 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Great friendly fast service
By Debbie Mitchell

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Its a great car

Junk!
By Robin

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my equinox used at 67k miles. Still had warranty. Traction control and stabilitrak sensors replaced. 20k later after warranty was up... Same fix. Car jerked at 50 mph. Engine light was on. Had to change spark plugs. Misfired on cylinder one and melted the wires. 25k later same problem. Misfired on cylinder 1&5. Engine light on later. ECM sensor. Rear hatch touch pad went out almost right away. At 141k. Engine is toast. Blew a rod with a only half quart low on engine oil. It's been a POS since the get go. Front headlight holds water. Replace bulbs now about 6 times. Brake lights at least 4 times. I carry extra bulbs in my glove box so I can replace asap. Would recommend staying far away from this piece of junk. I have been a loyal GM customer and this has made me look toward FORD.

Piece of Junk!
By jtberridge@gmail.com

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

All was well until I hit about 98K miles. It all started when the ABS and Stabilitrac system began to malfunction. It would be just fine for a while then the system would show that it would need to be serviced. When this warning is enabled it doesn't allow you to use the cruise control. Then, it began to start very sluggishly. After doing some research it looked like all I need was to replace the fuel filter. The only problem is that the fuel filter is built into the pump so you have to replace the WHOLE UNIT (About $400). Not long after these things started happening we had to replace the transmission ($3500). We had a few other repairs a few months later amounting over $1000. I finally had enough when I received a phone call from my wife who was traveling with my kids while I was out of the country saying that they are broke down on the side of the road. The engine blew a spark plug, and with some research we found that this is a defect in the way the motor was built. Then a few months later the locks began to go haywire and the seal around the gas tank needed to be replaced due to it breaking down. We finally decided it was time to just cut ties. I would also like to add that any simple repair to be done on these cars is a NIGHTMARE!

Bad Taste for Chevrolets
By sptn

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2008 Equinox in 2012 as a certified pre-owned vehicle from a reputable dealership with 70,000 miles. My check engine light came on almost immediately and the struggle went downhill from there. I am finally 4 months away from payoff and was just old I need a new engine, among other things. This comes after a $3,000 repair job only two years I ago. I have maintained regular maintenance on this vehicle since I bought it and have driven it modestly. My plan was to keep this car long after it was paid for and now I will be getting rid of it before a few months shy of that happening. There were major and minor flaws in this vehicle and I would not recommend this model to anyone. Poor turn radius, blinker gets stuck, door audio cables came loose very early into ownership and, power locks went out soon after purchase, headlight held water leading bulbs to blow frequently, A/C and heat do not cool/heat the back seat well, sun visor screws constantly came unscrewed, dome light got stuck and never could get it back out, timing sensor error (common in this model) was repaired by a Chevy Dealership only to malfunction again two years later, and the list goes on and on and on. Most of the minor stuff was too costly to deem worthy of fixing/replacing early on. Resale value decreased so quickly I was never able to sale and get out of my loan without having negative equity.

Ehh ok for now
By Darryl. G

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car a few days ago from a buy here pay here dealership and already my drivers door handle broke, passenger door lock acuator is out, rear hatchback door will not stay up unless you hold it up, heater core is bad, I have to drive around for 10-15 minutes just for the heat to blow hot, fuel gauge works when it wants to, every now and then, the transmission would slip from 2nd to third if unless you go super slow, thankfully the dealer is replacing all these things at no cost all because I haven't had the car 72 hours. Other than that, runs good. Love the stereo and AWD feature