Used 2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Blazer for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Best vehicle ever owned - still love it!

Linda, 08/26/2015
TrailBlazer 4WD 4dr SUV w/OnStar (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this 2001 Blazer with the special Trailblazer trim package in 2003 (as the 2nd owner) with 40,000 miles on it and have had it ever since. For our other vehicle, we've gone through many other vehicles but can't part with this one because of how dependable and reliable it has been. With only routine maintenance expenses, it has 218,000 miles and is still going strong. I hear so many horror stories about the newer vehicles and am thankful I've stayed with my trustworthy Blazer. The leather still looks great for it's age and I've never had a crack in the dash or anywhere else for that matter. Can't say enough good things about what a dependable vehicle it has been over these past 13 years.

best vehicle ive ever own

tmmmsguy, 10/19/2014

I bought my 2001 Chevrolet blazer Lt fully loaded last year with income taxes and have yet to regret buying the truck only problem i have had out of it was the alternator went out last winter. the blazer is a good safe dependable truck that is fun comfortable easy to get in and out can fit friends that are 6'3" and my father that was 5"11" 250+ with plenty of comfort room for them. the specs say i should average roughly 19 mpg's but I've never seen less than averaging roughly 20 mpg with it except for moving 300+ miles with a loaded down u haul trailer that made the back end drop 2" in pouring down rain handled the ice that we had last year without a problem on the highway and in town.

BLAZER XTREME

Lazaro, 10/07/2015
Xtreme 2dr 2WD SUV (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2001 blazer xtreme in 2005 with 55,000 miles which I still own (185,000 miles now). I loved my blazer since day 1 and I have to say it, I took my brother's 2013 honda civic to Santa Cruz and is this thing as fun to drive as my xtreme? NOT even close. For a chassis used for decades by GM on their blazer it is a outstanding small sporty SUV. Ones again, super fun to drive.

Best Car Ever

Benni Copelin, 04/11/2016
LT 4WD 4dr SUV w/OnStar (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This has been one of the most reliable cars I have driven. It has gotten me where I want to go and it's a fun ride. In the last several years I have replaced a few parts, like a starter and a fuel pump and spark plugs. But it drives smoothly and is very comfortable. I feel safe. The amazing thing is this car has never burned oil and I have lots of miles on it. This 2001 Blazer has a well built engine. I have hauled stuff with it and taken it out in the field to drag brush. It cleans up real nice and is a pretty car. I'm gonna be sad when I have to finally replace my Blazer. One of the best cars I have owned.

Got a Really Bad One!

Guido, 12/05/2009

This was a dealer car that we purchased with 10,000 miles on it and it has been a money pit. We have replaced: right front hub sensor, brake module, passenger side window motor (we rarely raise or lower that window), metal transmission lines (rubbing together caused leaks (they are not supposed to rub together), idler pulley, tensioner pulley, gas tank sensor, high pressure oil lines, radiator, alternator, electronics for 4WD and, the engine (as a result of the tensioner pulley seizing). There is more, but not enough space to continue. Perhaps we just got a 'lemon'; however, to be safe I no longer purchase GM vehicles.

2001 Trail Blazer

BG, 08/28/2009

I first rented one at Jackson Hole Airport. Liked it so much I returned to Nashville and purchased one. It has been trouble free except for the smog pump failure at 90000 miles. I love driving it. Consumer Reports rates it bad and I rate it Excellent. I've driven on long trips and it's a joy. Easy to park and non-tiring on long trips. Two thumbs up!

I've been left stranded more than once..

Lynette, 09/28/2005

This truck has left me stranded on more than one occassion. Have had problems with the alternator, ingnition coil springs and fuel pump. Rides very rough. Is not roomy...back seat is almost impossible to get into unless you're 5'2 and weigh 100 pounds. Squeaks and rattles and idles rough. Can't wait to trade this one in.

Biggest piece of scrap metal I own

jano, 03/23/2004

In the 8 yrs that I have owned my Nissan, I have less problems with it than I have had with this hunk of scrap metal. A totally rebuilt engine at 38,000 miles? Left and right wheel hub assembly replaced b4 33000? I look at it and despise the day I bought it. Should have paid attention to the poor reviews for reliability and mechanical soundness.

Awesome

Lawrence, 04/30/2016
LT 4WD 4dr SUV w/OnStar (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I love my blazer. i haven't had to put a lot of money into repairing it. just a few things here and their. I've customized it to fit my style and it looks amazing. It is deferentially the best vehicle i have ever owned.

Had for a year - Still runs ok :)

wheeets, 01/23/2012

Got my Blazer a year ago with 84k on it. Put 21k within a year. It runs and drives good. Gas mileage is on avg 15mpg. I'm big (6'5) and fit comfortably. Ongoing problems w/ heater. In colder weather, it only sometimes turns on (even tho I always have the dial set to its highest). Also sometimes makes a grinding noise and the break gets very stiff when breaking on ice. My mechanic cant figure it out, says my breaks are good. 4x4 went last year. Although it has these issues, I still really love driving my Blazer. Gonna get it fixed, once my $ is right. Wanna take it on some trails (when the 4x4 worked, it was great). Gonna hook it up with a tow box, rear tire swing bar (for extra inside room)

Never again

JUNK, 01/22/2009

I purchased my Blazer in July with 38,000 m. In December at 49,000 I had to replace the transmission. Since then things have gone downhill. I've had to replace both tie rod ends, my rocker arm, 4 door hinges, my windows get stuck in the down position in 5 degree weather. My gas gauge picks its days to work. An to top it all off again I am replacing the transmission for the second time! I have always been a Chevy fan until now. It has been the biggest lemon ever!

Love my truck

kp6921, 02/16/2015
LS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This truck is amazing. My family first bought it in 2007, and I am the third person within my family to own it. 14 years old, 114k on it and not many major problems. We had to replace the radiator a few years back, and I recently had to fix the rear axle seal (leaking), however that's it over 8 years of ownership. The handling of this truck is amazing, so much fun to drive around in. Great in the snow, comes with electronic shifter for 4 wheel drive, HI and LO options. Gas mileage is actually not that bad, I can get about 20 mph highway, but city is probably around 14. 2 door is more attractive than 4 door. I'd recommend this truck to anyone.

Nothing but problems

Lana & Jack Rowland, 08/04/2008

I got the truck used and since the day I got it nothing but problems. The first thing was the transmission and a shutting off problem. I can't drive it on trips because when the temp is high the truck shuts off. It will start again but then shuts off again. So I beleave that this truck is a piece of junk. Unless you have a lot of money to put in to it which I don't.

Love it

Betty Boop, 05/24/2017
LS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Test drive feel the comfort.

Will keep buying

Blazerbuyer, 03/18/2002

I just purchased a 2001 2DR Blazer. I previously had a 1997 4dr. I purchased the last one new, and put 90,000 miles on it. I brought it into the shop once for ball joints- thats it (other than routine maintenance ie: brakes, oil). The new one has been in the shop for vibration in the front end and a blown oil cooling pump. The vehicle rides beautiful and is living up to my expectations of a new Blazer- hopefully this is the end of the repairs. Will keep on buying Blazers/ Trailblazers for years to come.

Still Running Strong!

7ate9, 02/18/2011

I have owned this truck for a little over 10 years now and bought it brand new in October 2000. I am lucky that I have a short commute and have only put 84,000 miles on it. I have not had any major issues except for repairs here and there. Recently the head gasket went, but my mechanic told me its because the coolant used by GM (DEX-COOL) actually deteriorated the gasket. There was a class action lawsuit about this back in 2005, but I did not know about it. Other than that, its been perfect. It's stil fun to drive and feel almost as good as the day I bought it. My only major complaint is gas mileage, especially compared to vehicles today. I usually get about 16-17 mpg on average.

The Worst Vehicle I've Owned For Sure

G-Man, 01/10/2009

Within 75k miles had the following issues: Door pins and hinges went bad. Right hub went bad. Transfer case leaks. Radiator blew. Head gesket went with it (never even got above 220). Passenger seat handle broke twice. Had to replace fuel injectors. Fuel pump is making noise. No I'm not dumping anymore money into this hunk of junk! A piece of junk! I would never buy a a Chevrolet again!

Happy,Happy,Happy

Happy,Happy,Happy, 08/23/2009

My wife and I bought our Blazer used on jan.'08. It had 148,551 miles on it, it now has 176,894. We have had only one problem with it (the fuel pump finally went out in it at 176,756). Other then that the rig is great. The 4.3l v6 is by far the best engine I have ever seen in a rig. Its a shame they quit making it. We love the 4x4 system it has, and we like the auto 4x4 option it came with. I wasn't shur I would like the push button 4x4, but I will have to say I am impressed with its ease going in and out of 4x4 mode. In all we couldn't be happier, and we plane on keeping it for a long time.

Stay Away from the Blazer

Rennie, 12/28/2002

I have had nothing but troubles with my Chevy Blazer LT 4WD. The truck has been to the dealership so many times I should have my own parking space. Be prepared for engine leaks, transmission leaks, coolant leaks, transfer case leaks, and on and on. I have replaced 6 air pumps in the emmissions system, and my Chev dealer cannot find the problem. Fuel economy is an average of 16 mpg. The only positive is that GM offered me a $1000 manufactures rebate off the next GM vehicle I buy, because of the endless problems. Do your homework, this is not the vehicle for you. 2 years in with 100k miles.

Able SUV

andy, 12/22/2005

The Blazer 2dr SUV is a tight, comfortable and able SUV for the money. It has a very able tow rating of 3500 lbs, comes with the factory hitch and plenty of horsepower to do the job. Even though my Blazer was purchased 4 years old it is still a very tight body with no wind noise and excellent handling.

160,000 & Drives Like New!

RevDr Randall, 12/31/2018
LT 4WD 4dr SUV w/OnStar (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I used to do trading between new car dealers for a local Chevrolet dealer and I've driven hundreds of new vehicles. I got this truck cheap because the console was broken, a few switches in the drivers door needed replaced, and the radio was missing(common, they're great radios). Worst thing about this truck is the fuel mileage. I get from 14 to 22mpg, depending on the trip. Could also use a little more insulation for noise. Not bad, but noticeable. Mine is loaded w/xtras, like On-Star, pwr. sunroof, BOTH frt. seats are full bazillion-way pwr. & heated w/lumbar, towing package (has the full size 4wd unit not the smaller Blazer one), overhead info console & more. Bought an aftermarket radio on sale @ BestBuy w/ more xtras than the original. The ac & heat will blast you out! The motor is the Iron Duke 4.3, I own a salvage yard and have never sold one of these motors. They are INDESTRUCTABLE!! Take care of this truck and it should carry your next of kin back & forth to the cemetery for visits!

Nothing to brag about

Tim, 08/01/2009

Bought this SUV for my wife. I have the same year Mazda Tribute and it is amazing how different they run. The Mazda is a tight ride, drives new. We have done nothing but general maintenance. The Blazer runs rough, we have probably spent $1,500 over the past year for repairs. A friend of mine had a blazer and he told me to stay away but I did not listen.

2001 Chevrolet Blazer - 5 Lemon rating

Mike B, 02/17/2016
LT 2WD 4dr SUV w/OnStar (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new and replaced entire fuel system within the first year. Belt squall almost from day 1 that nobody has been able to fix. Too many major engine repairs early in life of the vehicle and too many parts wore out long before they ought to have. Not one of Chevrolet's best efforts

I love my Blazer

Bob, 07/12/2018
LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Blazer LT that had been garage kept with 95,000 miles on it. It looked like it just came off the show room floor and didn't have any issues at all except a shimmy in the front end which was the sway bar and I had that replaced. I went a step further and did a lot to it such as 4 new shocks, change transmission fluid, change oil, replace manifold gasket and valve cover gaskets, complete tune up, change gear oil, replace sensor and fuel pump in the gas tank, replace tires, bought a new stereo system and speakers,flushed the brake lines, flushed the power steering lines, flushed the radiator. When I changed the oil I added BG additive and also I add Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner to every tank of gas. Needless to say it runs and rides like new.

Not impressed

frederick87, 05/12/2013

I've had my 2001 Blazer for about 2 years and I can honestly say that it has been a money pit. I've spent over $2,000 in repairs, it is definitely a maintenance item. The GM Dex-coolant clogged the heater core and radiator. I had to replace the radiator and hoses at about 120k. The engine is powerful but sluggish, the tranny slips, the door pins and hinges took a crap this winter, the four-wheel drive no longer works, the ABS and o2 sensors are notorious failures, the car is prone to electronic issues, and the gas mileage is similar to a full size truck. Car handles poorly, the interior plastic rattles, driver door panel is barely hanging on, and the ride is pretty rough.

JUST SAY NO !!!

memphis815, 07/02/2014
LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the worst vehicle i have ever owned... every year you can count on replacing the fuel pump.. if you own one of these do yourself a favor and buy the replacement fuel pump with a lifetime warranty ... it helps cut the cost down later. then you only have to pay to have the new one installed. i cant keep wheel bearings in it.. the longest it has gone is 15 months between replacements ..rear brakes calipers lock up.. this is happens a lot because they use cheaper aluminum calipers and they tend to go out. once you replace the factory junk ones it seems to fix that problem.. it has a strange problem with constant misfires most of the time it's caused by the ultra cheap factory distributor unit going out because they chose to have the base of the unit made out of plastic that wears out .. this canker sore of a vehicle is about as much fun to own as an itchy asshole in church... I guess you could say it was reliable... But only in the fact that you can count on something breaking or going every time you leave the driveway... Well try to leave the driveway.

I think the user-name says it all

FormerBlazerOwner, 02/05/2003

Disappointed. You cannot put a child seat in the middle seating position. The seatbelt width is so narrow, no one can actually use it safely. We have had 3 multifunction switches replaced and it has been in numerous times for the check engine light, the first time being when it had 600 miles on it. After several trips to the dealer, stripped wires were found in the engine. The 4 wheel drive also decided not to work during a snow storm while we were in the mountains and without the 4WD, this is just a very large sled.

Frequent repairs

John, 02/09/2018
LT 4WD 4dr SUV w/OnStar (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car a year ago, and it has been nothing but unreliable. First the transfer case, then the transmission, and then the fuel pump. Not to mention electronic 4wd was hesitant and didn't ever feel right. All the repairs together cost me way too much. I'm not just a broke college student anymore, I'm a broke college student with a broken car. I also see people talking about getting 20+ mpg but my blazer has seen 13 mpg tops and that's driving conservatively. My mechanic said the same exact thing happened to his Jimmy...I'd recommend something else.

Decent...

nick, 07/12/2009

Good truck, too many problems. not reliable. Head gasket went out at 100k, should not be a problem at this mileage. Bought at 87k approx. 6 months before. Gas mileage is poor, truck has power and is fast, but its a cool little truck.

MY BLUE BLAZER

KITTNPUR, 01/11/2003

I'M QUITE HAPPY WITH HOW MY WHEELS DRIVES AND RIDES. I PLAN TO KEEP IT FOR A LONG TIME.

Good nearly great

S Hend, 07/19/2016

Nice Hunting Vehicle

mancheskia, 11/29/2011

Ride is anything but smooth very ruff ride, ride is better off road than on road. Power is well just not there how is it that the 3.8 V6 GM also produced created 205 horse and 230 torque when the 4.3 V6 is only capable of 190 horse and 250 torque. Gas Mileage isn't the worst with the ZR2 package I have got 19.5 mpg as best and as low as 9.5 mpg while towing. Now mainly use for hunting as it is a small capable off road suv that can get down the small tight trails.

Good value, reliable all around Car.

Whit, 04/03/2009

We bought the car with 15k in '02. Now has 78k. Had a few issues, breaks, tie rods, wheel bearings front, gas fill issues and vapor recovery stuff, oh ya, tie rods, did I mention tie rods. Over all a good ride, and reliable 4 wheel drive that works easily. Would buy again for the price. My wife loves if for the dogs, and the very muddy roads in Maine.

XTREME TRUCKIN WAY TO GO!

MFMISFITS, 06/10/2002

I am like any 20 year old kid. I want something that has the look and also responds when you step on the gas. I needed something that could get out of its own way. This was the truck I wanted. i just didnt want the 4 door. (not cool to have a 4 door at 20) So when the xtreme came out i was thrilled. I saved up as much money as i could and bought one. It is the best investment that i have made so far.

Having Fun

Cary Draper, 08/17/2002

I really enjoy this suv and i can afford to own it. I love the fact at 6 foot 5 inches tall i can ride in cofortably. I have had no problems with this vehicle just fun.

2001 chevy blazer

Jamie Putchio, 06/10/2003

Overall this is a good verhicle but the body style has been the same for to long! They need to change it!

Lemon Nightmare!

madmom, 05/10/2004

I purchased my TrailBlazer in April of 2003, it broke down at least once a month. Both tail lights broke - twice. The car had an electrical short that no one could find. Every time I got out of the car it would shock me. Each time I took it into the dealership they would tell me it was static - yea right. I have never had a car with cloth seats shock me EVERY time I closed the door. The transmission broke - but the dealership didn't think their was a problem. Good news - as long as you don't mind punching it to 4000 rpm's everytime you take off it will shift for you.

It is how it sounds!

Supercharged Xtreme, 04/29/2009

I bought my X-treme in 2008 with 76,000 miles for a daily driver and I fell in love. I go by people in X- treme pickups and they almost wreck seeing an X-treme Blazer. Im glad to see positive feedback from other X- treme owners 'cus it sounds like other models are goofing up. I am in the process of supercharging my blazer for some extra fun & that extra Umph of pulling into traffic but it does great while stock. It has a nice smooth ride and great stock looks I would never change. All my friends tried to buy it the first time they saw it. Im only 21, but I know a good Chevy when I see one & this is definitely one of them. My Chevys have always ran good, even my 1950 Chevy runs like a top!!

NEVER BUY A BLAZER

Hate It, 07/26/2003

Worst car ever, don't ever buy a Blazer. Where to even start, this car is always in the shop. In 2.5 years, everything has gone wrong. Unreliable and unsafe. Know 2 other people with the same car and have the same problems...none of us will ever buy a Blazer again. 4WD, steering, brakes, power seats, windows leaking, catalytic onverter, exhaust system, alternator, you name it, it breaks. 50 miles over warranty, power seats went, 150 over, windows were leaking, 1,000 over, the car jumps when it accelerates. Word of Warning, don't but this car...EVER!

Decent car for the money

ohiocpa, 07/29/2003

This is primarily my wife's car, and she really likes it. It's a decent SUV for the money, but has a few annoying rattles. Also, on the 2WD model, the wheels are closer together giving it a more wobbly feeling around curves or over bumpy road. Great towing power for a midsize SUV. We tow our 24' boat with no problems.

unsatisfied

geoteach2000, 08/19/2003

Front end problems at 38,000 miles...needed hub assembly unit...475.00 part. Have heard of others having same problems with front end due to poor design and Chevy's inability or unwillingness to fix the design problems...whatever they may be...this is pure speculation though... as I have heard this through word of mouth.

Great Vehicle

Blazer67, 08/26/2003

I purchased my 2 Door Blazer LT certifed used with 22000 miles on it have had it 6 months. This is a great vehicle with ample power and a decent ride for SUV. So far no mechanical difficulties. This is great SUV for the money

Worst Car I have had!

Chevy, 07/18/2003

Are you kidding me? This is by far the worst car I have ever owned. It is always in the shop and things never seem to get fixed. In 2.5 years I have had 5 major things fixed. Shakes like the car is going to fall apart. I rarely even drive on the highway with it anymore b/c it feels so unsafe. Terrible brakes, shakes when baking up, always feels like it has a flat tire...the problems are endless. I can't get rid of it soon enough!

2001 Chev LT Blazer 4WD

JL, 09/04/2003

Nice ride, comfortable mid-size SUV. Handles good off-road.

Happy so far...

Brian, 01/06/2005

Purchased this summer. Quiet, sturdy, easy to drive. Suspension is a little soft but that makes for a better ride. Does not accelerate extremely fast, but its not suposed to be a sports car. Very nice interior. So far a front wheel bearing was replace but other than that everything has been good. I get about 19mpg city and 23mpg highway. EXCELENT in the snow.

A great suv to drive.

gscncmc, 10/22/2003

My husband and I have tried all sorts of SUV's and found the Chevy Blazer to be one of the best by far. The ride is quiet and smooth. The seats are comfortable with plenty of leg room in the front. The back seat is also comfortable and works great for two car seats. I would not recommend three people for the backseat. The visiblity is excellent. The suv's moverability is great. We are so pleased with the Blazer.

Great Price and Value SUV

GONE_FISHIN', 12/08/2003

I have used my Blazer extensively pulling my bassboat. It has been dependable with no major work. The 4.3L engine is smooth and the vehicle is very quiet at all speeds. Long trips make this SUV shine with comfort! I most enjoy loading it with camping/fishing gear and get outta' town.

2001 Blazer 4WD LT

RDTMBA, 12/16/2003

2nd Blazer owned, have had problems w/ air conditioning losing coolant, dealer fixed it 3 times still hasn't found leak but has always done it for free since problem 1st occurred 1 month after buying. No other problems to report. Would buy again but seems as if it is being phased out. Really like the fact that back seats fold down flat. No other SUV's seem to have this feature.

CHEEP IS THE NAME OF THE GAME

NOTTOHAPPY, 12/17/2003

This is a nice looking vehicle. I have had many problems with this vehicle though, most of which can be atributed to a poor quality build. After the first month this vehicle was in the shop three times. I had problems with kinked fuel hoses, rear defroster which did not work (still does not after repeated attempts), 4WD froze up and would not change out of low, then after it was repaired it would not go into 4WD the following winter. Oil leaks out of the vehicle after only 60000 miles. GM service is the absolute worst in the industry also (they can't seem to fix anything the first time...)

Chevy

Messner, 12/18/2003

CHEVY, the best. I love my truck, it's the best in 4wheel drive and the snow. I live to see it snow, cause I have no worries about driving in it. If I could I would move farther north or a place it snows more than Ohio. I do wish I could afford a newer SUV, but the one I have will do for know. Thanks

51050