Used 2005 Buick Century Sedan Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Buick Century Sedan Consumer Reviews

Standard 3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic - (25 reviews )

Century is Impressive
By Jack Hawk

2005 Buick Century Sedan Standard 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned several Buicks since my days as a Buick parts manager in New Jersey in the mid-80s, and honestly have had a long love affair with the brand---my all-time favourite car is the 1959 Buick Electra, and I recall Buick as the car used on the TV show Highway Patrol in the 50s. I have owned many cars in my life, but few have given me the total enjoyment I got from my Buicks. When I was younger, I had a Somerset Regal, and in the late 80s I had a LeSabre. When I bought a Century, I was impressed at the power and economy it returned. Here was a V6 that behaved like an 8 cylinder but gave me 30 MPG. The velour=like seats were like relaxing at home on your couch. Driving position and all-around visibility were great. Unfortunately, an enemy firebombed that car and I moved on to another GM vehicle, then a Honda. As I'm getting older, getting in and out of the Honda got hard, so I looked into something bigger and much to my surprise, I got the opportunity to get a Century newer than my last one. It was love at first sight as I had easy access, comfortable bench seats with arm rests front and rear, a tilt/telescoping steering wheel, power windows, mirrors, and door locks plus dual-zone adjustable A/C. The great sound system featured some new things for me as well---several bands to choose from, including weather and traffic, a CD player, and a readout that tells the song and artist now playing. This is no "barn burner", but after having a 4 cyl Honda Civic, it's satisfying to step on the gas and have this 3.1 litre V6 GO with authority. Best of all, my Century averages 30 MPG---impressive since my Civic got about 35 with a smaller engine and body. I'm very impressed, and feel like I'm driving a luxury car now/ Some added safety features door locks that actuate as you put the car in drive, headlights that turn on by themselves at dusk, remote door and trunk locks with a remote trunk opener in the glove box and key fob, and lights that stay on for about 45 seconds after you park your car and lock your doors at night. In short, this is a car that fills all my needs.

Best low repair/maintenance I've ever experienced
By Tara

2005 Buick Century Sedan Standard 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The only concern that I had with this car was the blind spot seemed more than other cars that I've driven and owned during my 56 years. Other than this, the car truly was the lowest maintenance/repair cost of any vehicle I've driven or owned to date, and I've own a few cars during my day. I give it an A++ for reliability and get up and go. I'm also a person of 5'2" and the seats were great, my back did not sit off the back of the seat as it does in most cars because the seat is usually longer than my hip to knee area which causes my back to not sit flush with the back of the seat; this can cause great discomfort and lower back pain. I had no such problem with this car while all of my taller friends never complained once about being uncomfortable so that is a win/win for tall and short drivers and passengers!! This quality is a big one in my book. No complaints and lots of compliments go to the 2005 Buick Century! Really a great car, great A/C and great stereo as well, the other big factors as far as my likes are concerned.

One of the most reliable cars I've owned
By RJ Gargus

2005 Buick Century Sedan Standard 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

It's the last of the full-size Century, built on same chassis as the Chevrolet Impala. And, and probably the last affordable Buicks. Makes a great, comfortable 4 passenger car with great power, fuel millage for a full-size-I average around 24 in-town and close to 30 on road. Highly recommended.

05 Century
By pradley

Excellent gas mileage for large car aprox 35 Hiway US Gallon
quality excellent
only problem replaced Brake rotors twice but they are very inexpensive
Body still looks good after 7 winters

toyota to buick
By John Eagle

2005 Buick Century Sedan Standard 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned Geo metros, Toyota corollas, and other cars. The 2005 Century I bought shocked me with 36 mpg on a 1000 mile trip. My 1999 corollas only got 38 max. I was so impressed that I bought another used Century (1999). Why buy small cars when the comfort/power/reliability of a Century gets near same mpg? My 16 yr old son didn't want me to get a "grandpa car", but he sure loves it now that it's his! Dependable, reliable, affordable but I was careful in my research and examination of used Centurys. I walked away from some "bargains" because I found rust carefully concealed or the engine/ride didn't sound/feel right. I'm going to buy one more soon!

Give me a break. These Centurys are comfortable, have great reputations, are reliable and affordable. People that desire more and more sporty/luxury have gotten our country/world into the mess it's in now.