Used 2003 Buick Century Sedan Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Buick Century Sedan

Base 3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic - (50 reviews )

A solid car
By V8 Man

2003 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a slightly used 2003 Century for my wife. It now has 59K miles on it (in 2010) and has not been high maintenance at all. She really likes the car. Beyond routine maintenance, I do not think that it has required any other care. However, it is garage kept and locally driven mostly. The exterior has a timeless quality about it and still looks up-to-date (at least to me). The interior is a mix of cheap materials and upscale features, but overall functional and attractive. Several years ago, we did have a problem with it refusing to crank. Never did determine what the issue was, but it has never reoccurred. For the price, I recommend the car.

Nice styling, "affordable luxury." Low maintenance, smooth ride, family friendly. The V6 engine is capable, but not peppy. Just seems to be a solid car. I trust it more than the 2003 Buick Rendezvous that I drive.

For a car that is so cost effective, it is hard to recommend improvements. Just keep it maintained properly.

I'm Amazed at all the good reviews
By Steve

2003 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My Buick Century has issues that no automobile should have at 80,000 miles. Driver side automatic window does not work. The dash lights do not work (this is not a fuse issue). The tail lights do not work (again - not a fuse). Whole assemblies will need to be purchased for both of the previous problems. The trunks hinges are no longer holding up the trunk lid when opened. Both knobs for climate control broke (the part that slides over the stem simply disintegrated). And what's with these folks who have up to 38mpg gas mileage? I have never had more than 27mpg Highway and 21mpg city. This is a prime example to why GM went bankrupt. I will never buy a domestic made car again.

My highest rating was 8 for comfort. But if the car can't get you from point A to Point B without having some problem then comfort doesn't matter. It isn't comfortable driving with the hazard lights on at night time because your tail lights don't work. Or looking at a dark dashboard for that matter.

Use quality parts.

Still loving it
By MB

2003 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 12/02 and it has been great. A few bumps in the beginning repairwise but it was covered under warranty. I have not had any problem in the past 5 years. I drive 100 miles RT for work and it is a great ride. Good gas mileage (33 mph hwy) and dependable.

Leather seats, cruise control, large trunk

Larger gas tank, improved window design due to noise and water coming in when the wipers are on.

A Fine Ride
By zontar

2003 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I always enjoyed driving my mother-in-law's Buick, so when the opportunity to purchase one came up I grabbed it. It has a very smooth and powerful ride. This was made very evident when renting other cars. The Buick's ride and comfort puts most other cars to shame.

I think it's snazzy looking (maybe that makes me an old man). The ride is smooth and powerful. The sound system is superior. The trunk is very roomy.

Haven't had the best mileage (despite other reviewers comments). The glove box is a joke! The electric windows keep breaking.

Pleasant Surprise
By Grateful Son-in-law

2003 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I was given this car by my father-in-law, when he was no longer able to drive. Driving the "B" as my wife calls it, has been a pleasant surprise. Dad had put only 33,000 miles on it, maintained it by the book. I use it as a commuter car, primarily suburban to city driving, lot's of traffic lights, little highway. MPG is great, 22-23 city, 33 highway, on a 600 mile round trip. Comfortable after getting acclimated to a "rolling sofa." Plenty of trunk space, easy to service by local mechanic. I would not have even looked at this car, let alone bought one, as I feel it is designed for the more senior driver. Still, I now have a low mileage ride which competes with our 2 VW's in MPG!

Feels like a tank, surprising fuel economy which demonstrates that domestic manufacturers can produce a high quality, larger, vehicle with acceptable performance and not sacrifice MPG IF they wanted to do so. Nice to have the quality, economy and no payment book!

More options for seat adjustments. Lumbar support non-existent, compared to my 2003 Ford Escape. The Escape is also the better of the two with respect to handling and more "fun" to drive. Tweaking the suspension and steering in the Century would have been a nice touch.