Used 1992 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

1992 was a great year
By Jake

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I am 16 years old and i purchased my 525i 5 speed for a few different reasons... I wanted a car that me and my grandfather would be able to fix up together. He is a great mechanic and has helped me a lot with it. We had to fix a lot considering we bought the car for just $1000. We fixed the brakes, shocks and struts, clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, lights, new tires, all new seals in the engine, windows, and a new valve cover gasket. That sounds like a lot but the gentleman we bought it from had it sitting in his driveway for 10 years and never drove it and it has around 230,000 miles. In total I was probably in around $4,500 but it is totally worth it. It shifts great, sounds great and is actually pretty fast when you want it to be. The thing is an absolute tank. The way it drives and the amount of fun it is makes up for the quite dated interior. If you do not drive it crazy it gets great MPG around 25-35 miles to the gallon! I love this car and I think it is a great first "classic" car.

Great car like all needs TLC
By B lund

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Wagon

Make sure there is no pstr hose leaks

I just didn't know...
By Tony Holland

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 92 525i for 2900 cash. It had 204,000 on the odometer. 4 years later it is still a daily driver. A red 5 speed with all the options. I have replaced about everything under the hood from the a/c compressor to the alternator. Water pump, fuel pump and a new radiator. This sounds like a lot, but the absence of a car payment made it worth the money. The car is a joy to drive. The 5-speed makes up for the lack of power. The car is very at home at interstate speeds and will cruise "Way" over the speed limit for as long as the fuel lasts. This has been a great used car that is a blast to drive. Now I know..."BMW The Ultimate Driving Machine".

My BMW 525i
By Trevor Cooper

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

My father got me a 1992 BMW 525i after I got out of high school; that car was the best - it had a cellular phone and anti-theft system, heated front seats leather seats, 10 way power adjuster and the best trip computer ever. That car can be a pain in your wallet. When my headlight went out in 1994 I paid 129.42 for a new bulb.The car lacks in power; it actually takes you about 8.5 seconds to get to 60 but has the best sound when you accelerate. I still have that car today, the car drives basically the same from 17 years ago.The car has the same features from 17 years ago that includes the cellular phone anti-theft system, the leather has no cracks, 6 disc cd changer -- still I can't believe the phone works.

cellular phone still has connection, heated seats, stereo system,10 way power seats, anti-theft system, 6 disc cd changer, acceleration, the interior, exterior.

Cup holders, trunk release in car.

Better than expected...
By dkisme2

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

This it the first BMW I've ever owned, and I will happily buy one again. I've had to do very minor repairs with it since I got it almost a year ago. It came with just over 360,000 miles (yes that's correct, not a typo). And currently it's got over 372,000 miles on it. I've had to repair the oil seal and that's been about it. I'm going to be buying tires for it soon, otherwise it's in great shape (interior is nearly flawless). There's minor rust along the bottoms of the doors, but what do you expect for any car that's driven in Wisconsin? Overall, I couldn't be happier, and I definitely plan on running it till over 450,000, hopefully 500,000 miles.

Interior is comfortable, quite on the highway, cruises nicely. Handles great, acceleration is decent. Get's about 30 mpg on highway (5-speed manual), comfortable even for 4 adults. Paint stays shiny after 17 years.

I agree with everyone else, no Cupholders?? Kind of a pain. Otherwise, extremely happy!