Used 2012 BMW 1 Series Convertible Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 BMW 1 Series Convertible Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

Still best handling 4-seat convertible available!
By TNTennisPlayer

2012 BMW 1 Series Convertible 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Upgraded from a 2010 Mazda Miata GT hardtop to my 2012 BMW 135i M Sport Convertible about 4 months ago, due to need for small back seat for kiddos and desire for a bit more hp and refinement than the Miata could provide. What a difference! Double the hp + tighter suspension equaled serious handling upgrade and BMW options/refinement make the car much more daily driver user friendly. Surprisingly, the soft top is as quite as my SUV on the hwy and ten times quieter than the Miata's hardtop. Tiny backseats are perfect for my small kids but are barely useable for normal adults. Truck is more than adequate for grocery runs and can hold full size suitcases in a pinch. Outward visibility is great, top up or down. Exhaust sounds awesome under acceleration but is quiet at cruising speeds. M Sport package gives the car an aggressive appearance. I do miss shifting the gears in the 6 spd. manual of the Miata but the DCT transmission of the BMW is a close approximation and is more wife/valet friendly. Serious upgrade in costs for maintenance and repairs compared to the Miata, as well---not so thrilled about that! Shopped around and compared a lot of cars but nothing combined the small car feel/driving experience with 4 person seating as this 1 series convertible. Happy with my purchase and would highly recommend checking one out if you have similar needs for speed/space/refinement.

You need fun? This car is it!
By paulalee

2012 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I wanted a convertible for the few months each year we get good weather, and I wanted one that felt solid--handled tightly, felt 'close to the ground' when maneuvering, and something that screamed high quality. I hit the jackpot with this car. Everything about it is well made, functions at a high level, and you will still beat everyone out of the intersections! Having this car has been a crutch of sorts, in that when I'm having a bad day and get into this car after work, all is fun again.

Personal fun machine.
By wagonguy1

2012 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Ok, this car is pure fun, but in full disclosure I still have a luxury station wagon in the garage for guests and trips to Costco.
Yes to celebrate my mid life and the fact that kid is out of the house I felt a red convertible with red interior would be a a great way to usher in this new phase in life.

The car is fun, interior refined, the deep purr of the inline six is amazingly satisfying.
It's everything a BMW is supposed to be.
I
do live in Florida and I drive it Miami-style: Top down, windows up and A/C at full blast.
It get's stares, it's respectable at the stoplight and it's quick and nimble in traffic.

Favorite features include the wonderful seats. These are the regular seats, but my spouse has a bad back and it's the only seat in the house that offers great lumbar support. Thinking of installing a TV in the garage and just watch with the top down. Thankfully the roof goes up faster that it goes down...sudden Florida downpours haven't been a problem. My favorite feature: just the general refinement of the engine, the smooooothe acceleration, you don't even notice that you're cruising at 80 when you've started at 0. This is my first BMW and I have always wanted one. I've owned VW, Audi and Saab. This one is like my GTI I had, only all grown up. Still small like I like it, but fun!

Lordy, my biggest complaint is the small tank with lousy mileage. The 14 gallon tank get's you about 300 miles. I don't drive enough to care about mileage (I work at home). However on a weekend trip to Disney, I went to the gas station three times. Either make the car more efficient or give it enough range so you don't have to go to the pump all the time. I feel sorry for anyone who needs to commute in this car every day, your gas bill will be more than your payment. Finally, I'd like to say that this is not an entry level car. At $42K, it costs as much as any 328i on the BMW lot. I have heard a few comments that this is a "cheap BMW" no it's a small BMW, not a cheap one. Total fun!