Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

worry about quality
By yanhua

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Unfortunately, my 2009 Tiguan has big problems. At 36000miles, water pump was broken. At 40000 miles, oil is leaky. It cost me about $2000 to fix the problems.

At 70K what you could expect
By nhvw2009

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Tiquan new in 2009. It ran well up to 60K. In the last 10K I need a front drive axel ($650), a new manifold / seals as sensor light is on and there is carbon buildup ($700), yesterday it needed a pressure switch for the AC ($340), and then a electronic ignition problem caused a plug to blow ($150). Not sure what to do at this point, trade or keep putting money into the car. There has not been a lot post by people who had the car for 3-4 years.

I do like the design, drive, comfort, handling.

Un-Reliable after 50K miles!
By negaverse

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought the car brand new in 2009 and it was a great drive at first. The car was awesome for the first 2 years. I drove it about 20k miles a year. It was so comfy and fun to drive esp on long trips. But, after about 50k miles, I had so many problems!! Those dreaded EPC lights would always come on! I ended up taking a huge loss on the car with another 1.5 years to pay off but I had safety concerns with a car that would stop accelerating in the middle of the road. I have heard the myths bout VW electrical issues but did not believe them until I bought my own VW. Unfortunately they are true.

You can feel the power of the engine when accelerating. Also felt the handling was above average. The car simply looks great as well.

The car had so many issues. I wish VW would have worked out these issues before coming out with the N.A version of this car. It just pales compared to other cars in reliability. I will try to list them all to help others. a drive belt replacement some leakage in hoses clean up of carbon buildup that I was advised to do for the car to run smoother. An electrical problem due to a short from the wiring with the throttle. replaced the car battery when the car died on me at a gas station A spark plug misfire problem due to oil leaking Intake Manifold replacement

The cutest CUV around
By T

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love x 100. We looked at the Rav4, CRV, before deciding on the Tiguan. We have the SE with upgraded seats, pano roof, etc. Looks great, drives great with the fun, peppy 2.0T engine. The suspension seems sporty, so it might be too stiff for some people. We get great MPG (averaging around 28MPG combined!). Seats are comfy & the roof is gorgeous. Interior is great - typical VW quality, lots of storage space too (esp. compared to VW's sedans). Good leg room in the back & plenty of space in the front. Cargo space is a little limited when compared to other CUVs, but it's more than adequate for us and the rear seats fold down easily. Haven't done anything but basic maintenance so far.

multifunction display, panoramic sunroof, exterior design (reminds me of a RC with the funny little antenna in the back!), comfy seats, 2.0T engine found in Audi models

Leatherette/V-tex should've been standard on SE model, maybe more cargo room to compete with the other CUVs, requires premium gas (but we get better mileage with it, so it's a decent trade-off)

1 CUTE UTE!!!
By Poojo

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my first VW! So far it has been a pleasure to own and drive..I usually trade at least once a year...I think I've owned just about every brand out there..had the Honda CRV & the Toy RAV-4..(BIG YAWN), thought I would try the TIGUAN. Exciting! This is a keeper..So far, I don't have any reason to trade it off! Husband loves the Turbo 2.0. and the 2wd does good in snow. Getting 24 Mpg mixed driving.

Wild Cherry Color, Turbo engine is very quick, Interior quality, Ext. Styling, Quiet ride, Excellent handling. Heated cloth seats! Sun-Roof

Nothing big..Homelink would be nice on SE. Arm rest on doors should be leather like center console, so they are easier to keep clean.