2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:
At 70K what you could expect
By nhvw2009 on 09/07/13 07:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Tiquan new in 2009. It ran well up to 60K. In the last 10K I need a front drive axel ($650), a new manifold / seals as sensor light is on and there is carbon buildup ($700), yesterday it needed a pressure switch for the AC ($340), and then a electronic ignition problem caused a plug to blow ($150). Not sure what to do at this point, trade or keep putting money into the car. There has not been a lot post by people who had the car for 3-4 years.

Un-Reliable after 50K miles!
By negaverse on 01/10/13 14:38 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought the car brand new in 2009 and it was a great drive at first. The car was awesome for the first 2 years. I drove it about 20k miles a year. It was so comfy and fun to drive esp on long trips. But, after about 50k miles, I had so many problems!! Those dreaded EPC lights would always come on! I ended up taking a huge loss on the car with another 1.5 years to pay off but I had safety concerns with a car that would stop accelerating in the middle of the road. I have heard the myths bout VW electrical issues but did not believe them until I bought my own VW. Unfortunately they are true.

The cutest CUV around
By T on 02/23/10 13:35 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love x 100. We looked at the Rav4, CRV, before deciding on the Tiguan. We have the SE with upgraded seats, pano roof, etc. Looks great, drives great with the fun, peppy 2.0T engine. The suspension seems sporty, so it might be too stiff for some people. We get great MPG (averaging around 28MPG combined!). Seats are comfy & the roof is gorgeous. Interior is great - typical VW quality, lots of storage space too (esp. compared to VW's sedans). Good leg room in the back & plenty of space in the front. Cargo space is a little limited when compared to other CUVs, but it's more than adequate for us and the rear seats fold down easily. Haven't done anything but basic maintenance so far.

1 CUTE UTE!!!
By Poojo on 01/24/10 13:39 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my first VW! So far it has been a pleasure to own and drive..I usually trade at least once a year...I think I've owned just about every brand out there..had the Honda CRV & the Toy RAV-4..(BIG YAWN), thought I would try the TIGUAN. Exciting! This is a keeper..So far, I don't have any reason to trade it off! Husband loves the Turbo 2.0. and the 2wd does good in snow. Getting 24 Mpg mixed driving.

Fantastic CUV
By simshawk on 12/23/09 05:17 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After 17k miles, and 1+ years on the road, I am still loving this vehicle. Great performance, excellent braking /handling, and fantastic ride. Gas mileage could better, but I have a bit of a heavy foot. Elderly friend said it was smoother and quieter than her Lincoln. Wife likes it as much as her daily driver, BMW 328i. Passengers are continually amazed at the rear seat roominess. An absolute blast to drive, a GTI with room for hunting and fishing gear...

6 Month Review
By NMar on 10/19/09 14:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After researching what kind of SUV I wanted, I decided on the Tiguan. Happen to be in Florida on vac, they had a good deal, I bought and drove the car to New York. Drive was a lot of fun. Vehicle seems solid, firm ride. I get asked about it by passerbys. Brake is very responsive, quite interior. Some minor issues I do have: motorized driver reclining seat, but manual pump lever to elevate and move seat..why not motorize all, summer humidity seems to bring out a bad smell from air exhaust when it's not on a/c, engine is powerful, but there seems to be a delay in responsiveness when u go from braking to quickly accelerating, but then it eventually picks up when you press harder on the pedal

1500 miles so far-very fun, look'n good
By Susansocal on 10/01/09 14:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had my new White SE Tiguan for 1 month and I am really enjoying driving again. I sold my 9 year old Camry and do not miss it one bit (it was very reliable but BORING, yet the gas mileage was great). I can't rate the reliability yet, but so far I am very pleased, and no real quality issues to address, but I do agree that the Turbo is rather jerky at times and leaving from a stop light turning right it is jerky accelerating to get going, almost like I am driving a stick in a low gear (which I do not have the manual, and I have no need or desire to use the shifting option). The dealer really came down on the sticker price - I got the pricing below a comparable Honda CRV/or RAV4.

THE BEST VALUE IS SMALL SUV
By VEGAS TIGUAN on 08/21/09 21:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have driven 30,000 miles in the deserts of Las Vegas and get 22 -23 MPG aroung town and 26 - 28 on the highway. I have had the services done and am sitting at the dealer having the 30 mile service performed as I write this. Th rear brakes need to be changed at $270 and the front are still 80%. All the tires are still good. 30,000 miles and the front brakes are at 80%, this is awesome. Look up brakes on the Toureg and you will see every 15k to 20k miles at 4 times the cost of the Tiguan. This SUV has been flawless, you cannot go wrong. I test drove the CRV and love the looks, however, the interior seemed cheap and the ride was not as quite. I cannot praise the vehicle enough.

One Week
By KirkyMD on 08/03/09 20:44 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After almost a year and a half of research, I finally decided to go with the VW Tiguan. Moving from a Ford Explorer AWD V8, this is definitely a change. The Tiguan is lower so its height is somewhere in between a mid-size SUV and a car. The ride is great considering the wheel-base, yet still offers plenty of room for four adults to travel comfortably. The 4 cylinder has obviously less power, but it'll move when it's needed. I was initially worried about cargo space, and while it is certainly smaller than what I'm used to, it allows for most common trips the store without having to put the seats down. All in all, very pleased. I'm hoping this vehicle lasts for a while.

The car to have!
By J. Salcedo on 06/23/09 06:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have the SE level with the sunroof. There is no words to describe how fun to drive this car can be. The quality of materials is obvious along with the beauty of designs. Pick up is amazing and smooth and the suspension is the perfect combination between sport and sedan. Not only were the dealers at VW ready to deal, the financing was great. I get compliments on this car all the time, people stare at it on the road too. I am very happy I purchased a car that is not ubiquitous and that allows me the freedom to enjoy rides with the sunroof fully open.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan Suv in VA is:

$118 per month*