Do not buy this car!
By pat124 on
2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)
I bought my Passat about a year ago and I honestly say it is one of the worst cars I have ever owned. I bought it to replace and aging Dodge Dakota I was driving...which was a much better vehicle. These cars are plagued with all sorts of electrical problems such as interior lights not working, connections breaking in the doors, etc. The side windows have scratch marks from rolling them down...I have to clean out the felt liners about once a month to prevent this. The heater is dismal and can only keep the vehicle warm above 30 degrees. Maintenance is expensive, timing belt cost about $1,000 dollars to replace, and my mechanic says I must use full synthetic oil. Will never another VW.
Favorite Features
Smooth ride, power of engine, gas mileage (gets between 27-30 mpg) exterior and interior styling, heated seats.
Suggested Improvements
Cost of maintenance, electrical problems, heater that barely works and make noise, seats are not comfortable...too hard and not easily adjusted, needs premium fuel, window get scratched when rolling down, overall cheap feel and lack of quality.
By robdi
on 07/10/11 06:46 AM (PDT)

So you bought a 10yr old used car and then give it this abismal rating. Maybe it's the fact that the last person(s) who owned it just simple didn't take care of it and you didn't pay close enough attention to it when you bought it. I've had mine since new, it has 220,000 miles on it and is still going strong with everything working fine. I've never had electrical problems or windows scratching or anything else you describe. The seats weren't comfortable? Did you sit in the car before you bought it? Yeah it takes premium fule, didn't you know that before you bought it? Didn't you check this thing out before you bought it? This is kind of a BS review considering it was a fairly old used car that you obviously didn't really inspect before you bought it.