Used 2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews - 166 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Great car
By realmathilda

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have a 2001 Passat with over 211,000 miles on it and I will keep it for another 211,000. This is a great car, no problems German engineering is terrific. I take care of my cars. I have read some of the other reviews on this site and all I can say is this. When people write in all caps with exclamation points they are usually crazy drama queens and
flying off the handle is common place for them. They are led around like puppies by their emotions or they are young kids that don't understand many things about life but believe they know it all. They haven't come to the age of understanding what real problems are and everything is a major inconvenience because they lack the patience to endure.

Very roomy interior, the heated seats are very nice. They come with a lot of standard features. Drives great on the highway, great gas mileage. I drive 45 miles one way to work. They make the Passat with AWD, it's called 4motion, I don't have it but would consider on my next one. They also make these in diesels, they are very quiet and get 40mpg, another thing to consider for next time. They are not expensive to own, brand new they are $20,000 to $27,000.

I have an older model so I'm sure this has been addressed but the two cup holders are not enough and very sub par. Maintenance is way too expensive at the dealership, just because it's German. Yes maintenance at any dealer is expensive but this is very excessive. Doing the work yourself can be complicated the first time.

Crappy car
By otwersky

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Car drives great! BUT.. Things keep breaking due to poor quality parts!!! For instance, I was forced to replace two window regulators that broke in half although one window was never used... the regulator just broke for no reason... And for that reason, I will never purchase another VW. Their parts are either cheap, badly made or don't fit. If the car was well built, it would be a gem.. Thanks to the **** parts, VWs are ****!!

Get a car with well-made parts. You will be spending way too much replacing the **** parts on this car!

Great car
By daveba84

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my passat in 2008 with 140,000 miles on it. It was at a used car lot and I liked everything about it. The exterior/interior were in great shape and after the test drive i was sold. I drive 106 round trip miles per day to work so I needed a car that was good on gas and the passat fit the bill. As of today I have over 250,000 miles on the passat and drives like the day I purchased it. I have had to put minor repairs as well as regular scheduled maint. (oil changes,battery,headlight,wiper relay) but you will have this with any car. Do yourself a favor-do not get repairs done at a dealership. With any car they will charge you 3x more then what a good local mechanic would.

Style, comfort, features.

cup holders are positioned wrong

Do not buy this car!
By pat124

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my Passat about a year ago and I honestly say it is one of the worst cars I have ever owned. I bought it to replace and aging Dodge Dakota I was driving...which was a much better vehicle. These cars are plagued with all sorts of electrical problems such as interior lights not working, connections breaking in the doors, etc. The side windows have scratch marks from rolling them down...I have to clean out the felt liners about once a month to prevent this. The heater is dismal and can only keep the vehicle warm above 30 degrees. Maintenance is expensive, timing belt cost about $1,000 dollars to replace, and my mechanic says I must use full synthetic oil. Will never another VW.

Smooth ride, power of engine, gas mileage (gets between 27-30 mpg) exterior and interior styling, heated seats.

Cost of maintenance, electrical problems, heater that barely works and make noise, seats are not comfortable...too hard and not easily adjusted, needs premium fuel, window get scratched when rolling down, overall cheap feel and lack of quality.

Leaving is a bitter sweet emotion
By scouserusa

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Traded in 1 01 Malibu, for an 01 Passat.
I'm from the UK, and driven a new VW Polo..no problems, and loved the build quality.
64K at purchase, and no problems for a year.
Then a CEL..which I ignored..found out to be a MAF sensor, then coil ignitor issues(recall), tie end rods, vacuum hoses, oil cooler went at 120K, and had to flush entire system.
With premium fuel, expensive oil changes, brakes, annual coolant flushes, the constant worry of a blown head gasket or turbo failure was not far off.
Excellent when new, but get sell after 5 years and don't look back.
I was on first name terms with all the mechanics at the local garage.
Do NOT buy a used Passat, simple advice.

Leather seats, moonroof, heat (when it worked), very sporty for a 1.8. Nice steering wheel controls, and the build quality you expect from VW (from Germany)

CD should be standard even in 2001.