2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Terrific car but expensive to fix
By Susan on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

We love this car. It is so comfortable, secure, tremendous dexterity, tight driving circle, and compares really well in performane and looks and comfort to our friends more expensive BMW's. Have had 9 years, bought new, mid-year, i.e. new model. It was perfect for about 50,000 miles and then things started happening. I just replaced the water pump; the really bad thing is there is no warning that it is going to fail soon... I could have fixed before starting big road trip. But, we may well buy another Passat; they just feel so good to drive and you feel safe. Thinking this time of a lease so as not to keep an older car that we need to worry about.

Piece of Saat
By dave on 08/31/10 10:06 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you love emptying your wallet, buy one today! Timing belt busted at 72K miles doing 20 mph, caused $2500 in damage. Class action suit only included 2000 yr model. Now at 99K, been in the shop 7X this year. Airbag fault code, ball joints, brakes, trunk lock failure, intermittent power lock issues, A/C probs, oil leaks, etc, etc.. Stay very far away from this early 2000 models, they are indeed a Piece of Saat!

What a lemon
By ahogan on 08/14/10 08:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The VW Passat has more trouble than I have ever had with a car before. The issues with oil sludging and all the repair costs make me want to run back to a Japanese maker. I will never buy a VW again.

Reliable Solid 2001 v6 5M 120K miles
By Raj on 07/31/10 10:52 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Solid Build Quality Quiet, decent performance. Feels secure at highway speed compared to my Sienna 10 Major expense CV Boot (axle replaced), ABS controller, timing belt.

best car
By roy on 04/26/10 12:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

WE had a 2002 Acura TL back in 02 and just got this 01 passat in 2010. and it has more options and features then most 2010 luxury vehicles been driving the crap out of it, hard driving, long distance everything not one light has came on (check engine) or anything. its the glx v6 with automatic a/c and have no complaints me and my wife love this car and woudn't trade it for anythimg else, only complaint gas mileage (around city) and cup holders, but eveything else works great even with 145,000 miles you would never guess it had that many it drives like its brand new. anyway all I can say is we love and plan on keeping it tell it dies

Pretty, fun
By SpaceDude on 04/21/10 11:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Got this 2001.5 model (2001 base with updated looks of 2002) = driving older car that looks like newer. Overall quality of the car was pretty good, no dingelingding during driving, doors closed with a good, Mercedes like smack. Engine was so-so: The turbo kicked in a bit late, which created interesting situations as 4 way Stops: You step on the gas, nothing happens, so you step more into it, and all of the sudden the care takes off (rubber donuts, squeeking wheels, the whole show). Once moving, car was fun to drive. The mirror-adjustment joystick's position is inadequate when you're 6"+ tall: your knee will rip that thing right off while getting in. Had quite a few electrical issues though.

NICE STYLE, POOR SUBSTANCE
By WP on 03/12/10 10:03 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

this is a nice looking car and at almost 10 years old doesn't look old or have a dated style to it. But it definitely has its share of problems. Most are problems that vw is aware of and has not corrected...oil leaks that fill the cabin with smoke, bad coil packs, oil sludge, check engine malfunctions...and it ain't cheap to fix! I tried so hard to buy a Mustang or a Honda for my wife, but she insisted she wanted a Passat...she gets very quiet when we have to take it to the shop every month. You pay too much for that cool style with repair bills...

horrible car...dont buy
By david on 03/03/10 15:08 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

never owned a worse car in my life!! Leaks oil, coolant, and transmission fluid. Buying American made cars from now on!!

I will never buy a vw again
By No More VWs on 02/04/10 17:45 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Got this car at around 18,000 miles and had no problems until 50,000 - right after it was no longer under warranty. Since, I have had the back breaks replaced three times in four years while barely driving it, the front breaks replaced, the rotors replaced, four oil leaks in 6 months, couple coolant leaks, broken keys, seat belt doesn't retract, lights in dashboard starting to fade, two different belts replaced, the whole thing groans when I get into the car, wheels squeak... I am at the mechanics so often they give me a hug when they see me! I'm sure there were more repairs but I've lost track. Bought this car bc of great reputation but too many friends have since had VW lemons. Never again.

Steal of a car! Audi in VW clothing...
By wario on 02/01/10 17:22 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 01 Passat GLX 4Motion this past January and LOVE IT! What a solid car, even with 110000 on it. We purchased it from a reputable dealer who inspected it and serviced it before we bought it. They replaced the belt, water pump, and brakes... the car needed nothing else! It's a dream to drive in all weather. Looking forward to putting the next 150k on it!