Used 2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Do not buy this car!
By pat124

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my Passat about a year ago and I honestly say it is one of the worst cars I have ever owned. I bought it to replace and aging Dodge Dakota I was driving...which was a much better vehicle. These cars are plagued with all sorts of electrical problems such as interior lights not working, connections breaking in the doors, etc. The side windows have scratch marks from rolling them down...I have to clean out the felt liners about once a month to prevent this. The heater is dismal and can only keep the vehicle warm above 30 degrees. Maintenance is expensive, timing belt cost about $1,000 dollars to replace, and my mechanic says I must use full synthetic oil. Will never another VW.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, power of engine, gas mileage (gets between 27-30 mpg) exterior and interior styling, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Cost of maintenance, electrical problems, heater that barely works and make noise, seats are not comfortable...too hard and not easily adjusted, needs premium fuel, window get scratched when rolling down, overall cheap feel and lack of quality.

Leaving is a bitter sweet emotion
By scouserusa

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Traded in 1 01 Malibu, for an 01 Passat. I'm from the UK, and driven a new VW Polo..no problems, and loved the build quality. 64K at purchase, and no problems for a year. Then a CEL..which I ignored..found out to be a MAF sensor, then coil ignitor issues(recall), tie end rods, vacuum hoses, oil cooler went at 120K, and had to flush entire system. With premium fuel, expensive oil changes, brakes, annual coolant flushes, the constant worry of a blown head gasket or turbo failure was not far off. Excellent when new, but get sell after 5 years and don't look back. I was on first name terms with all the mechanics at the local garage. Do NOT buy a used Passat, simple advice.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, moonroof, heat (when it worked), very sporty for a 1.8. Nice steering wheel controls, and the build quality you expect from VW (from Germany)

Suggested Improvements

CD should be standard even in 2001.

Good when it works
By Colin

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Puchased 1/08 w/ 79k & it now has 140k. I bought it randomly at a car auction and loved it for the first 20k. From then on I have spent $2k on stuff breaking and $1k on routine maintenance like the timing belt. From 100k to 130k I have replaced a lot of sensors, tie rod ends, bearings etc.... I've gotten 10k trouble free miles since then, yeah! With this car you have to be vigilant about oil changes and don't skimp. It is a great highway cruiser and I average 30mpg. The drivers seat is still firm and most of the interior is holding up except for some paint peeling. All in all it's an ok car, the reliability is the deal breaker for me. I'll be buying a Japanese car next.

Favorite Features

Handling, utility (big trunk), gas mileage, build quality of the body, comfortness, good in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Improve drive train reliability, parts are expensive too. The car left me stranded once when the engine speed sensor failed and had to be towed and fixed. If you're looking for an economy car look else where as this car is not. Synthetic oil, premium gas, pricey parts & labor, many problems

mixed feelings due to repair costs
By peter

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I love my expennsive car. I hate to pay my repair bills :-) Dont buy it if your friend is not a mechanic ....hahahaha Love to drive! Peter from clearwater

Favorite Features

Love interior lights, blue with red looks like a jet...

Suggested Improvements

Better built....

Love this car
By JKeiser

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car in 2003, only a couple years old and already had 66k on the odometer. 7 years and 120k later, this car is starting to show its age, but it's still quick, agile, and very comfortable. even at over 180k, the engine feels great. like any german car, it requires a little more tlc. change the timing belt when you're supposed to, and don't freak out everytime the check engine light comes on. i may have just gotten a good one, but the only major repairs i've had have been in the last 30k miles or so. ABS controller, tie rods, shocks. like most cars at its age, it's becoming to expensive to maintain, so i'll be trading it in. i guarantee i will cry, this has been a great car.

Favorite Features

handling, interior design, beautiful simple exterior shape/design, easily modified engine, mostly reliable (anything that went wrong didn't make the car undrivable)

Suggested Improvements

engine sensors fire off way too often, long throws on manual 5spd, coilpacks are unreliable what's wrong with spark plugs? interior soft-touch materials peel off after time. cupholders are laughably unusable.