2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
CUTE! But a Dream down the hole...
By skuzziboi1 on 12/02/12 21:48 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Bi-Color Edition 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Okay so I have been a Beetle fan for as long as I can remember, I bought myself a 2005 VW BEETLE BI COLOR ED! I was so stoked, it was black and maroon, most def an eye turned. It was very fun to drive and had all the bells and whistles except for a turbo. Anywho, after hitting 90k the Tranny started to give me problems, I was determined to keep my car but sadly had to trade it in to obtain the most for its value while it still had value. It became so scary to drive, I would stall at stop signs or traffic lights, some days I would forget I had issues all together because some days it would be perfectly fine and other days it would act up. And yes this is the tranny..... Please dont buy

Cute retro looking car.
By lovebug05 on 07/11/11 07:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Ive had my 05 Beetle for about 2 years now. I got it with 116k miles and 17k miles on it with no major issues. Although Ive had to replace my battery twice within a year and & half. Major pain to take out and re install. The h1 bulbs for the headlights & fog lights burn out often. Major MAJOR pain in the a** to take the headlights out to put the new bulbs in. The interior dash scratches very easy and the car always smells like crayons in warmer weather. I had to put 1k in replacing the timing belt, water pump, belt tension er, serpentine belt, new tires, brakes just for preventive maintenance.

Volkswagen is a poor Quality Car
By girlie*girl on 02/15/10 11:28 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

let me just say that I only thought I wanted a bug :0( it was one of the worst things I have ever done in buying that car. it has noises in the cabin that is so irritating! and the cup holders are NOT convenient.. and The Transmission is a major problem !! and almost everyone that has one has problems with the transmission, volkswagen needs to fix this now!! and recall them because of the transmissions!!!!!

Great little car!
By NVServ on 05/22/06 20:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't regretted for an instant buying this little guy. Other than some warranty work for an airbag issue, which was dealt with painlessly on my part (including a loaner car for the month we were without his services), he has handled beautifully and been trouble free!

Still With Personality
By GREG TIBBETTS on 05/15/06 13:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

IMy initial attraction is the clean J.Mays / Freeman styling, but excellent interior materials and ergonomics make the Beetle better than similarly priced cars. This car has many detail improvements over the similar 2002 New Beetle. Its 6-speed auto transmission is a huge improvement over the old 4-speed design and even 5-speed manual that refused to accept a quick shift. It has excellent brakes and safety aids, both passive and active. Its handling is not particularly responsive, but safe and predictable. This car is able to cruise at high speeds with less wind noise than than in the past because of the 6-speed gearing. It turns approximately 3,000 RPM at 78 MPH. The leatherette looks like real leaather and is more luxurious than cloth. Plus car is style-proof.

2005 VW Beetle
By Becky Hunter on 01/27/06 20:15 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My first car was a 1957 Beetle and when fuel prices began to rise, I sold my Honda Passport and purchased my 2005 Beetle. I love it, we live in a mountainous region and with four adults in the car, all I have to do is switch my Tiptronic transmission from auto to manual, shift into 5th and I scoot right up the mountains without skipping a beat. It hugs the road and is so much fun to drive, I feel like a teenager again! My 74 year old Father loves to drive it as well and is looking at getting one for my Mom! We are considering another one for my husband, so I can keep him out of mine :) He was surprised at the pep when he drove it for the first time.

Something you feel great to pay
By happy buyer on 07/20/05 17:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bougt this car as a gift to my wife. Before that we consider Toyota Echo, Collora, Scion, etc. Beetle costs several thousands more than comparison but it really worths the money. My wife is so delighted with her new car. Everything is perfect. Style is great, the function is responsive, plus a build-in mp3 player. Do not know of anything else to add to it.

The cutest car ever made
By Andrea on 05/28/05 20:52 PM (PDT)

This is like the kind of car only a fun person can drive. it's very simple inside..not like those tacky expensive cars...thats why i love it! its original and soo the cutest car ever made

Best Convertible on the Market.
By Jane on 05/09/05 21:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a fun car. I've had convertibles my entire life but there is just something about a convertible New Beetle that is more fun than any of the rest. It has a lot of power and something about the angle and shape of the windshield gives you the illusion of being in a much larger car. Front seat is wonderfully spacious and roomy. Backseat, as I've stated below, is the major drawback. I'm also not delighted with the gas mileage. I'm averaging less than 25 mpg .... I was hoping for a little more but even so I'd buy the car again in a heartbeat.

Di's dream bug
By Dianlyn on 05/07/05 10:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have had this car for a year now and I love that I put roughly 140 miles a week on it and only have to go to the gas station every 3 weeks.