2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
2008 Jetta Wolfsberg Edition
By ilchqb11 on 08/17/13 17:09 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought my Jetta brand new at 0 miles and just yesterday I passed 100,000 miles and I have to say this is by far the best car I have ever owned; however, some people don't realize that owning and maintaining a VW takes a little bit of work. In order to make sure your vehicle lasts a long time it is vital that you stay up-to-date with recommended maintenance and NEVER get work done at a location other then a licensed Volkswagen dealership. If you follow those 2 simple rules you will be more than happy. I've heard horror stories about people buying a Jetta and having terrible experiences with it; yet they never really took the effort to take care of it or take it in for routine maintenance.

Used 2008 Jetta, fell in love on a Sunday!
By geekygirl on 10/02/12 07:18 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I drove a smart car for three long years. Sunday morning I started searching the Internet, for maybe a new car I was looking for something different but I haven't had before. I ran a cross at 2008 white Jetta, it had no pictures but I ended up going to the dealership before it even opened. The door was unlocked and I fell in love instantly so I traded my 2008 Smart car for the pretty white Jetta. To date I have had 87 cars in the last 15 years mostly high-end I love the ride of the Jetta and the super large trunk which I didn't have with the smart. I am looking forward to many more years and yes cars are cars they all have problems no matter what.

love the VW
By mpsmith on 12/13/11 16:06 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have a 2008 vw jetta se. Love it, I also have a jeep but I needed a econ car. It was the only cheap good on gas car that I found that felt better then a wong tong box. It has nice features, heated seats, outside mirrors heated and power, pleather ;), the paint looks way better then my friends hondas or toyota after almost 4 years. I never have anything wrong with it. Its way faster then the competition in its class too, not even close. Drives 80 all day long on the freeway for 4 hours straight I never need to get out and stretch. Has safety and dummie lights for everything, even if you have a tail light out, love that. Full size spare and a HUGE truck, seriously I put my road bike in there

third times a charm??
By 5peedornospeed on 10/12/11 07:57 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

my mom has had Jettas as her past two cars (a 1997 with 170,000 and a 2002 currantly with 100000 on it) both cars have never given any problems out of the normal range of expected maintanence so i decided on the 2008 jetta s as my next car. so far im very impressed, i got it with 54000 miles on it and it now has 62000. i have only owned the car a month. the first week i had it i took it from RI, to NC to CO(phish) and back to RI. the car isnt old enough for me to judge reliability but so far everything seems solid and the car seems very well built. i will update this review once i have put some real milage on the car.

First and last VW for me!
By mallory24 on 09/12/11 18:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car was bought for me as a first car and I absolutely loved everything about it. It's super cute, fun to dart in and out of traffic with and it had a great "giddy up" to it. Within the first year I started having mechanical issues with the car not starting. I took it to my local Firestone and got the battery, starter, alternator, and ignition checked out and I got a green light on everything. The next day I made an appointment with the VW dealership and they were just as unconcerned and rude as they could be. For almost two months I have been fighting this battle with VW for almost two months and I'm surely getting rid of this car as soon as possible.

Dud Airbags
By jettaistoast on 02/13/11 03:04 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased this car thinking it's safety features were outstanding. Not so much. Icy roads sent me into a guard rail head first then spun around and slammed into my driver's side... at 35-40mph. No steering wheel airbag deployment... No side airbag deployment. The metal in the car crumpled like tin foil and all of it's plastic parts shattered like glass. Two weeks later I recieved a letter in the mail stating the transmission was being recalled and the winshield wiper plastic was cutting into the fuel lines causing them to leak. I purchased this car with cash... I should have gone on vacation instead.

2008 VW Jetta SE Auto
By carnut1973 on 01/31/11 14:32 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We purchased our 2008 Jetta SE (auto) brand new. My wife was the primary driver on our Jetta and we could not have been more pleased with the Jetta. In fact, 7 months later I bought a 2007 Jetta GLI for myself. We considered an Accord Coupe but the Jetta was $3,000 less and had more features. The car now has over 50,000 miles on it and still has not had any repairs--just regular maintenace...still on original brakes and tires, even. City driving returned around 22 mpg and highway driving would return up to 35 mpg...usually averaged 32-33 mpg on road trips. Quiet and comfortable to drive, cavernouse trunk and loaded with features.

3 year lease end love it/hate it still pt. 1
By vincef329 on 01/27/11 07:08 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have leased my salsa red Jetta SE for almost 3 years now, mileage up to 32,000. I originally wrote the love it/hate it review and want to expand on that. Styling is still modern after 3 years, still a good looking car inside and out. The leatherette still looks great as all other interior components do also, even the carpet. I live in the NE so the carpet sees its fair share of wet and snowy shoes, still cleans up well. No problems with any interior components, all are like new. Exterior paint has chipped considerably, how very sad. Seems only the red paint suffered this as I have "red" about it on the internet. Above the rear license plate the paint has completely come off and rust has

Not a solid car
By Nate Lindner on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Bought this vehicle in hopes for its reliability and gas mileage. This car not only disappointed, but I asked Burnsville Volkswagon to buy it back. It had clutch problems right from the word go. It was in the shop more than it was at home. I almost forgot the color of our car. My wife and I live in MN and traded in her jeep for what we thought was to be a gas improvement since we had two four-wheel drives at home. I would not recommend a jetta to anyone. I put on Bridgestone Blizzack tires to try to improve the terrible winter performance to no avail. You would think a car from Germany could handle some snow. The traction control system is a joke and noise maker. Terrible vehicle.....

Finally, my 2nd good car-another VW
By junquemail on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

1) One serious defect on purchse, broken gear shift. 2) not one problem since. 3) I'm reading about poor gas mileage. Hello???? I get 30-32 on the highway, best I've ever had. 4) Wish it would last forever.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan in NJ is:

$214 per month*